Will You Support The Auld Enemy?

froggybinos

Will you support England at Euro 2004?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Of course Scotland fans are going to support any team playing England. You see it everywhere where there are two local rivals, one much better (or bigger) than the other. Sunderland fans hate Newcastle more than the other way round, City hate Man. Utd more than the other way round, and Scotland hate England more than England hate Scotland.

What I find strange though is how many Scotland fans think that English people will be that bothered when a Scot trys to wind them up about being defeated off Argentina, Brazil or Germany. Don't get me wrong, i hate when we get beat off these rivals, but when a Scot trys to wind me up i just have to laugh. When we go out to these teams it is usually past the group stages, something Scotland have never experienced, so for them to try and wind up an England fan for going out at this stage seems unbelievable. I mean, I dont go around with a Peru, Costa Rica or Faroe Islands shirt on abusing Scotland.

And the hooligan thing is on a totally different scale between England and Scotland. Is it any wonder England get more idiots attatching themselves to their country, Scotland has about one tenth of the population of England. Both countries have their fair share of idiots and i dont think England have any more than Scotland, in relation to the size of the population. Unfortunatly though, hooligans attatch themselves to the national team in England far more than in Scotland where the majority of football fans are from Old Firm teams and worry more about Ireland and the UK than Scotland.

And, dont go on about the bias media. You expect the English commentators to be biased towards England, just as you would expect the Scotish commentators to be biased towards Scotland. Its exactly the same. Just watch a Old Firm Champions League game or an International on Scottish TV and you will see they are just as biased as in England. If you dont like it, dont watch England, your choise.

And I am looking forward to my trip to Portugal this summer. :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course Scotland fans are going to support any team playing England. You see it everywhere where there are two local rivals, one much better (or bigger) than the other. Sunderland fans hate Newcastle more than the other way round, City hate Man. Utd more than the other way round, and Scotland hate England more than England hate Scotland.

What I find strange though is how many Scotland fans think that English people will be that bothered when a Scot trys to wind them up about being defeated off Argentina, Brazil or Germany. Don't get me wrong, i hate when we get beat off these rivals, but when a Scot trys to wind me up i just have to laugh. When we go out to these teams it is usually past the group stages, something Scotland have never experienced, so for them to try and wind up an England fan for going out at this stage seems unbelievable. I mean, I dont go around with a Peru, Costa Rica or Faroe Islands shirt on abusing Scotland.

And the hooligan thing is on a totally different scale between England and Scotland. Is it any wonder England get more idiots attatching themselves to their country, Scotland has about one tenth of the population of England. Both countries have their fair share of idiots and i dont think England have any more than Scotland, in relation to the size of the population. Unfortunatly though, hooligans attatch themselves to the national team in England far more than in Scotland where the majority of football fans are from Old Firm teams and worry more about Ireland and the UK than Scotland.

And, dont go on about the bias media. You expect the English commentators to be biased towards England, just as you would expect the Scotish commentators to be biased towards Scotland. Its exactly the same. Just watch a Old Firm Champions League game or an International on Scottish TV and you will see they are just as biased as in England. If you dont like it, dont watch England, your choise.

i have never heard so much s***e * coming from an englishmen

*sense, seriously, i agree with the most of what you said there, i agree there probably is as many football holligans in scotland as per proportion of the population, a mean you just to have look at the Aberdeen morons down at Caridff a couple of months ago, but the fact is most scottis football hooligans support england, and the reason some give for that is, because they knew scotland fans were very unlikely to start fights at games

Fair do's BerwickMad. That is one of the most balanced analyses of the whole England/Scotland thing that I have read from an English perspective.

Some of my best friends are English and some of my favourite places are in England but when it comes to football all of that goes out of the window. But comes straight back in the window once the game and whatever chat there is to be done afterwards is finished. The relative abilities of our teams has little to do with it. England are obviously a better team than Scotland. But similarly the Old Firm are better teams than Queens, and I take pleasure in winding Old Firm supporting friends up about football given the opportunity.

When it comes to football, Scottish fans do have more of an issue with the English than the other way around. And I believe that the media should definitely shoulder a reasonable amount of the blame for that. I don't expect English commentators not to be biased toward England. But I think that there would be one hell of a lot less antagonism if Scotland had it's own production teams for World Cups and European Championships. As a non-English person who does not live in England, hearing wall to wall England this and England that for a month in June gets pretty irritating after a short while (and not just on sports programmes either - for example I'll be avoiding Chris Moyles' show on the radio for the juration of Euro 2004). But BBC Scotland etc are as much to blame as their colleagues in London for not coming up with an alternative. I doubt it would even be that expensive. Two guys commentating on the game, three more in a studio. A small price for a lot less aggro IMO.

But BBC Scotland etc are as much to blame as their colleagues in London for not coming up with an alternative. I doubt it would even be that expensive. Two guys commentating on the game, three more in a studio. A small price for a lot less aggro IMO.

I wonder if anyone has asked them to do this. I assume it's been thought about but 'duplication of effort' or 'what about Hansen? He's Scottish' will be the usual answer.

FWIW, English commentators (in general) get on my tits. Hero worship has never settled well with me, especially when the alleged heroes can have a shite day at the office like the rest of us. The 'deification' of Beckham, I just cannot comprehend.

BerwickMad's comment about the Scottish commentators being as biased is spot on. I listened last night with a 'purposefully jaundiced' ear; one obvious example was the (now commonplace) dives and writhes from both teams. Villarreal were worse but the commentators barely picked up on Celtic players doing the same.

Edited to capitalise Scottish. It wouldn't do to insult people, would it? :D

i agree with the most of what you said there, i agree there probably is as many football holligans in scotland as per proportion of the population, a mean you just to have look at the Aberdeen morons down at Caridff a couple of months ago, but the fact is most scottis football hooligans support england, and the reason some give for that is, because they knew scotland fans were very unlikely to start fights at games

Per head, there probably are as many of the sorts of people who would, given the chance, get involved in football related violence in the two countries but I think that it is expressed in different ways.

In Scotland, football related violence is more likely to have a religion-based aspect to it (read the Old Firm in other words), and it is probably as if not more likely to involve groups far away from the stadium, possibly even in a different town, who might not even have been at the game.

In England, the impression that I get (could be wrong) is that there seems to be more trouble in and around the grounds themselves, often involving smaller provincial teams and there seems to be more of a crossover with far right political groups that fuels the problem.

I'm not so sure if would-be Scottish hooligans would decide to support the English national team. I would say that they are more likely to get involved by going after somebody wearing the wrong Old Firm strip in the wrong place. And thankfully the national team doesn't have these problems. I have seen the Tartan Army's legendary self policing in action (bunch of wee neds in the Pandora after the Holland game) and it was pretty effective in stopping trouble.

I have seen the Tartan Army's legendary self policing in action (bunch of wee neds in the Pandora after the Holland game) and it was pretty effective in stopping trouble.

Yes the tartan army have been successful in self policing situations. One story which sticks out is when two lads in brussels asked a fellow scotlad fan if they could sleep on the floor of his hotel room, and the guy said certainly. Then on the lift up to the room, the 2 guys started slashing against the lift wall. The guys who had booked the room, lay into the morons, then took them downstairs and asked the owners for a mop and bucket, explained the situatiojn. The two guys cleaned up and were obviously then chucked out of the hotel.

Thius gained the original 2 a great deal of respect.

Life is full of surprises...

The first open-minded P&Ber emerges!!! :o

Agree with everything said by MC more than anyone else...

I wouldn't go as far as supporting any country other than Scotland but to me if your gonna support someone else then surely it should be someone you have the most in common with...

I sometimes wonder if England played Iraq who half this country would support... <_<

So saying that something representative of a certain culture means "feck all" to someone makes them open minded?

I don't think I'm too far off the mark when I say that your definition of "open minded" is "agrees with Radford."

When it comes to football, Scottish fans do have more of an issue with the English than the other way around. And I believe that the media should definitely shoulder a reasonable amount of the blame for that.

I quite agree. The last televised England game I saw, it took only 8 seconds of the broadcast until the infamous 1966 date was mentioned, another reason why I miss the opening credits on They Think It's All Over.

Anyone but England! - they need to have a bit of humble pie and get over the 'we deserve to win everything because of who we are' mentality. Nauseating, al la Man Utd!!

(Edited as I got so annoyed with the sixties date, I mis-spelt 'date'!!)

I quite agree. The last televised England game I saw, it took only 8 seconds of the broadcast until the infamous 1966 date was mentioned, another reason why I miss the opening credits on They Think It's All Over.

Anyone but England! - they need to have a bit of humble pie and get over the 'we deserve to win everything because of who we are' mentality. Nauseating, al la Man Utd!!

(Edited as I got so annoyed with the sixties date, I mis-spelt 'date'!!)

Do you not think Scotland would go on about it if they won the World Cup?

Do you not think Scotland would go on about it if they won the World Cup?

Of course we would go on about it if we won the world cup. Big time. And rightly so. And any Scottish based sports programmes will go on about it for a long time afterwards. But I just can't imagine any of the London based media doing the same. Obviously most of them are English themselves and Scotland winning it just wouldn't get their blood pumping the same way.

If, god forbid, England do win a tournament again I wouldn't grudge English people their celebration of it one bit. But let them do it on their own TV screens. I am not English, I don't live in England and I don't want it rammed down my throat.

Of course we would go on about it if we won the world cup. Big time. And rightly so. And any Scottish based sports programmes will go on about it for a long time afterwards. But I just can't imagine any of the London based media doing the same. Obviously most of them are English themselves and Scotland winning it just wouldn't get their blood pumping the same way.

If, god forbid, England do win a tournament again I wouldn't grudge English people their celebration of it one bit. But let them do it on their own TV screens. I am not English, I don't live in England and I don't want it rammed down my throat.

Well said Hammer.Couldn't agree more.

But I just can't imagine any of the London based media doing the same. Obviously most of them are English themselves and Scotland winning it just wouldn't get their blood pumping the same way.

If Scotland were to win it the English media would report it once, then completely ignore it. They only celebrate a Scottish victory when it's convenient to do so - like Rhona Cameron's 'British' team curling gold medal win. Glory-hunting b*st*rds!

Archived