Will You Support The Auld Enemy?

froggybinos

Will you support England at Euro 2004?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I'm British, have worked in England, have many English Friends.

We all stay on the same island. Have the same Prime Minister, Money, Head of State.

Why anyone would want support a country that bombed your Grandparents generation, and other tin pot countries that were so shitty scared to stand up to them, is beyond me.

C'mon England!

I'll never support England as long as I live. Any Scot who supports England is either a glory hunter or has no national pride!! And don't give me that "wur aw British" keech. With that logic we should support France cos we're both European. Or Canada cos we're both north of the equator. Or Botswana cos we're both on Earth.

I'll be supporting Italy; I've always liked them.

I don't think I'm too far off the mark when I say that your definition of "open minded" is "agrees with Radford."

Haha, so its not just me! :lol:

I think its immensely funny when they lose, and will be wanting France, Croatia and Switzerland to win.

Of course Scotland fans are going to support any team playing England. You see it everywhere where there are two local rivals, one much better (or bigger) than the other. Sunderland fans hate Newcastle more than the other way round, City hate Man. Utd more than the other way round, and Scotland hate England more than England hate Scotland.

Is that why Berwick hate East Fife and we don't really care about you? :lol:

If, god forbid, England do win a tournament again I wouldn't grudge English people their celebration of it one bit. But let them do it on their own TV screens. I am not English, I don't live in England and I don't want it rammed down my throat.

We dont have our own TV screen unfortunatly. There is no English TV, only British TV. Its not our fault, but that of the BBC or Sky or whatever. I watch BBC Scotland on Sky for Offside and Sportscene, and they are biased against England and only really talk about the Scottish national side. Rightfully so, because it is only being broadcast in Scotland, but we dont have this in England. Our programs go out to the whole of the UK. I suppose you could say that we have our one regional television, as i get North eastern region TV, and Border News, but this regional TV gets nowhere near the budget of that in Scotland, so we get the programs targeted at the whole of Britain, which is mainly made up of English people.

I dont think you can blame the English people, the commentators or the presenters, but its a fault of the BBC as a whole i suppose for not giving the English regional channels enough money to be able to put out their own stuff and restrict the stuff that annoys you, to England.

Not many English people get annoyed about the Scottish bias in the Scottish media, because we dont see it, unlike i do hear in Berwick, where we get TV from both sides.

Another thing that annoyed me a few years ago was the Daily Record. Before the playoffs for Euro 2000, they were saying how good it would be for the Scots be beat us English, using Braveheart and so on to spur on the fans and get the emotion going. They were also moaning about the english media beig bias. Well, they were being as bias as anyone I have ever seen. Nothing wrong with this, but the English dont have this when we play Scotland, because unfortunatly, there are no strictly English national newspapers. If the Daily Record was going out to the whole of Britain, then i think it would be quite hard for the Scottish reporters and writers to not let there emotions out in the slightest, just as it is in England.

We dont have our own TV screen unfortunatly. There is no English TV, only British TV. Its not our fault, but that of the BBC or Sky or whatever. I watch BBC Scotland on Sky for Offside and Sportscene, and they are biased against England and only really talk about the Scottish national side. Rightfully so, because it is only being broadcast in Scotland, but we dont have this in England. Our programs go out to the whole of the UK. I suppose you could say that we have our one regional television, as i get North eastern region TV, and Border News, but this regional TV gets nowhere near the budget of that in Scotland, so we get the programs targeted at the whole of Britain, which is mainly made up of English people.

I dont think you can blame the English people, the commentators or the presenters, but its a fault of the BBC as a whole i suppose for not giving the English regional channels enough money to be able to put out their own stuff and restrict the stuff that annoys you, to England.

Not many English people get annoyed about the Scottish bias in the Scottish media, because we dont see it, unlike i do hear in Berwick, where we get TV from both sides.

Another thing that annoyed me a few years ago was the Daily Record. Before the playoffs for Euro 2000, they were saying how good it would be for the Scots be beat us English, using Braveheart and so on to spur on the fans and get the emotion going. They were also moaning about the english media beig bias. Well, they were being as bias as anyone I have ever seen. Nothing wrong with this, but the English dont have this when we play Scotland, because unfortunatly, there are no strictly English national newspapers. If the Daily Record was going out to the whole of Britain, then i think it would be quite hard for the Scottish reporters and writers to not let there emotions out in the slightest, just as it is in England.

Like I said before, I think that the media in Scotland are as much to blame as anyone else for not providing an alternative. Stretching their budget to put three men in a studio and a couple at games surely wouldn't bankrupt them and would significantly reduce the amount of antagonism around whenever international tournaments are being played. I can't blame English people for wanting to be pro-English when it comes to sport.

But do BBC Scotland really get that much more than other regional TV companies? Serious question - I really don't know but would be surprised if the difference was that great.

I will never support England, but at the same time wont support anyone against them. Ill laugh at them losing but who wouldnt. As people have said why should i support another team just because my country isnt there? there is no need for it. Now all scottish people can sit back and watch the championships as a neutral and enjoy it without having to worry about can we qualify and what if the other team wins and things.

Ofcourse if they are going to win another tournament now would be the time to do it :D im in the US so wouldnt get any media coverage: D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived