Hillwalking Thread

15 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Still 46. My shoulders will be agony tomorrow, that was a lot of sustained scrambling emoji23.png Pleased to get SDM though. It's a tricky wee bugger. I also discovered that a pretty scary scramble to Sgurr Alasdair was still infinitely better than going up the Stone Shoot would have been emoji23.png

I watched a couple of YouTube vids of people on Sgùrr Dubh Mòr last night as a result of your post and I was genuinely getting clammy hands and mild fear. I’m not very good with heights and exposure though. Think I would definitely require professional assistance to go up there. Are they the trickiest Munroes? I heard the inaccessible pinnacle is actually quite straightforward despite the exposure when you are roped up.

1 minute ago, Snobot said:

I watched a couple of YouTube vids of people on Sgùrr Dubh Mòr last night as a result of your post and I was genuinely getting clammy hands and mild fear. I’m not very good with heights and exposure though. Think I would definitely require professional assistance to go up there. Are they the trickiest Munroes? I heard the inaccessible pinnacle is actually quite straightforward despite the exposure when you are roped up.

I've said on this thread a couple of times that I think SDM is the hardest Munro - others find other peaks on the Cuillin worse (Am Bastier is often mentioned, but I can't remember any difficulties there). In terms of route finding and exposure, it is difficult although the way that @Day of the Lordsand I have both done Sgurr Alasdair is far worse - but is an optional route.  

The InnPin is a (very!) exposed scramble up the long side and a Moderate rock climb up the short side - the scramble is fine if you have a head for heights - I found the climb technically difficult (owing to the fact that I can't climb and I had mountain boots on) - but at no point on either route did I feel it was as bad as SDM.

The only other hill that I found anywhere near SDM was Stac Pollaidh - which has an exposed move that most non-climbers will find a bit tricky...

T

I've said on this thread a couple of times that I think SDM is the hardest Munro - others find other peaks on the Cuillin worse (Am Bastier is often mentioned, but I can't remember any difficulties there). In terms of route finding and exposure, it is difficult although the way that [mention=15829]Day of the Lords[/mention]and I have both done Sgurr Alasdair is far worse - but is an optional route.  
The InnPin is a (very!) exposed scramble up the long side and a Moderate rock climb up the short side - the scramble is fine if you have a head for heights - I found the climb technically difficult (owing to the fact that I can't climb and I had mountain boots on) - but at no point on either route did I feel it was as bad as SDM.
The only other hill that I found anywhere near SDM was Stac Pollaidh - which has an exposed move that most non-climbers will find a bit tricky...
T
SDM was a lot tougher than I expected, partly because there seem to be traces of paths that go absolutely nowhere, and one particular move on a slab that would be a nightmare if you were less than 5'6". More than once we looked up and thought "how the f**k...." [emoji23]

Picked my remaining Fannichs of Sgurr nan Each and Sgurr nan Clach Geala today, plus a repeat (and atrocious descent) of Meall a'Chrasgaidh. Quite pleased with my hill fitness now as I was car to car in 6.5 hours including about 2 hours of stops and chatting to a boy who used to work along the road from me [emoji23]
20200927_121444.jpg20200927_111602.jpg20200927_132429.jpg

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Picked my remaining Fannichs of Sgurr nan Each and Sgurr nan Clach Geala today, plus a repeat (and atrocious descent) of Meall a'Chrasgaidh. Quite pleased with my hill fitness now as I was car to car in 6.5 hours including about 2 hours of stops and chatting to a boy who used to work along the road from me emoji23.png
20200927_121444.jpg20200927_111602.jpg20200927_132429.jpg

I was blown off (behave) Meall a' Chrasgaidh so will need to go back. I'm less than keen to do the turf grabbing ascent again so was going to go anti clockwise.

I take it the steep grassy slopes are no better going the other way?

I was blown off (behave) Meall a' Chrasgaidh so will need to go back. I'm less than keen to do the turf grabbing ascent again so was going to go anti clockwise.
I don't think there's a decent way to do it 🤣 First time I did it was from Loch Fannich which was a frankly ludicrous idea and ruined me. That time we came up the Coire between Geala and MaC but that was also pathless, boggy and generally shite. We were so knackered we bailed on the others and headed back. Something like 20 miles on the bike and 10 miles on foot for a solitary, average at best munro.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I did the descent off Meall a' Chrasgaidh at the end of a loop of the 5 munros from Loch a' Bhraoin - and it was totally fine as far as I can remember - certainly better than going up it. It was also horrendously windy when I did it - my main memory of that day was the campsite at Loch Broom in Ullapool that evening being completely flattened by a gale in the middle of the night - only a few stronger backpacking tents  left standing - all the big family tents down, which actually looked quite impressive :)

Edited by Swello

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:
2 hours ago, mathematics said:
That’s a sneaky wee b*****d that bit! Must admit it was only my ego that kept me going.

It's a weird one that. The lack of handholds where you'd want them is what makes it difficult. I don't recall the exposure being too bad. It was actually easier in reverse iirc

I went back by a different route, not for that reason of course...

On Walkhighlands - Stac Pollaidh is the 4th most climbed Graham and I'm massively sceptical about that. I've been up there a few times and my abiding memory is that only about 10% of folk head any further than the end of the tourist path and of those, plenty take a look at the crux and think better of it :) 

See also: The Cobbler which an improbable number of people have summited. (despite being the first hill I did, I've never been to the actual summit myself- yet). That's on my plans for this year to revisit and I'm still annoyed that I didn't Thread the Needle first time round as it doesn't look difficult at all

6 hours ago, Swello said:

On Walkhighlands - Stac Pollaidh is the 4th most climbed Graham and I'm massively sceptical about that. I've been up there a few times and my abiding memory is that only about 10% of folk head any further than the end of the tourist path and of those, plenty take a look at the crux and think better of it 

I'll admit to doing exactly that and ticking the box anyway.