Madeleine Mccann Missing Girl

Guest The Phoenix
And put up with mutterings like this pish.

A bit harsh on yourself but I'm happy to go along with that. ;)

PS It's been said before and it will be said again - you don't have to click on this thread.

(Seriously, however, I respect your view and your right to post what you believe)

I'd be interested to hear how many of you child care experts, actually have kids of your own?

I'd say the parents were certain, that having something to eat 50 yards away from where their children were sleeping, was perfectly safe.

I'm sure their feeling bad enoug, without some teenage know it alls judging them :angry:

i'm not a "teenage know it all" but a social worker with 12 years experience.

What the parents did in this case was neglectful and agianst the law. They could and should be charged under Section 12 of the Children and Young Person's Act 1937 with abandonment, and offence which carries a jail sentence. And the authorities should be assessing their suitability to care for ANY children after their actions.

Guest The Phoenix

What the parents did in this case was neglectful and agianst the law. They could and should be charged under Section 12 of the Children and Young Person's Act 1937 with abandonment, and offence which carries a jail sentence. And the authorities should be assessing their suitability to care for ANY children after their actions.

Oh dear - Pink Floyd isn't going to like that. :rolleyes:;)

They could and should be charged under Section 12 of the Children and Young Person's Act 1937 with abandonment, and offence which carries a jail sentence.

Just out of interest, can they be charged with something that happened abroad?

And that'll be really helpfull to the situation they, their other children and the little girl are now in.

They made a mistake which they'll live with for the rest of their lives you clown.

Just as social workers have made mistakes in the past on quite a number of well documented occasions when leaving "at risk" children in situations, where in hindsight they should have been removed. Something you never mentioned in your post.Idiot

JESUS H. CHRIST

Edited to add - Fercrisakes Div don't let him know your real name and address.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

for f**k sake

Although I don't have children I know that when I do I wouldn't go for a drink and check on my kids every half an hour, I'm far too negative a person and I always think the worst will happen. However, that's not to say I wouldn't make some other 'mistake' that would lead to something happening, such as letting my child walk to school or to a friends house.

There is no right answer and the people debating will just continue to go round in circles. I was talking to my mum earlier about this. Both her and my dad have been the greatest parents imaginable to me and are both very intelligent, but had a raging row when I was younger about whether it was acceptable to leave me and my sister in our room at Butlins while they went for a drink. It was simply the done thing but my Mum wouldn't allow it. Different people judge situations differently, it doesn't make them bad people, and as has been said numerous times, I'm sure they are suffering enough.

Although I don't have children I know that when I do I wouldn't go for a drink and check on my kids every half an hour, I'm far too negative a person and I always think the worst will happen. However, that's not to say I wouldn't make some other 'mistake' that would lead to something happening, such as letting my child walk to school or to a friends house.

There is no right answer and the people debating will just continue to go round in circles. I was talking to my mum earlier about this. Both her and my dad have been the greatest parents imaginable to me and are both very intelligent, but had a raging row when I was younger about whether it was acceptable to leave me and my sister in our room at Butlins while they went for a drink. It was simply the done thing but my Mum wouldn't allow it. Different people judge situations differently, it doesn't make them bad people, and as has been said numerous times, I'm sure they are suffering enough.

no no no. These people should be flung in prison and have their other kids confiscated from them because some w**ker social worker says so.

I feel heart sorry for this family. I hope to hell they get the wee one back safe. I have a son the same age as that little girl. Nightmare :(

That was brought up on a ITV last night but a head social worker or child expert or something said that it wouldn't apply in this case as the parents were doing everything right i.e. in a 'safe' holiday complex and checking on their children from 50m away every half an hour or so.

no no no. These people should be flung in prison and have their other kids confiscated from them because some w**ker social worker says so.

I feel heart sorry for this family. I hope to hell they get the wee one back safe. I have a son the same age as that little girl. Nightmare :(

Whilst I have posted my feelings on this earlier on in the thread, I would like to point out that I do feel very sorry for the pain that the parents are going through. They will live with this for the rest of their lives and it will be unbearable for them. I do not agree with what they have done but it does not make me feel any less sorry for their anguish. I do not want to even begin to imagine how they must be feeling.

And that'll be really helpfull to the situation they, their other children and the little girl are now in.

They made a mistake which they'll live with for the rest of their lives you clown.

Just as social workers have made mistakes in the past on quite a number of well documented occasions when leaving "at risk" children in situations, where in hindsight they should have been removed. Something you never mentioned in your post.Idiot

In a similar note, should someone who "accidentally" kills someone through neglect or lack of care go unpunished, as they too have made a mistake that they'll live with for the rest of their lives?

Supposing a nurse in a hospital forgot to give someone their medicine, leading to a death?

In a similar note, should someone who "accidentally" kills someone through neglect or lack of care go unpunished, as they too have made a mistake that they'll live with for the rest of their lives?

Supposing a nurse in a hospital forgot to give someone their medicine, leading to a death?

Let's not forget these parents haven't kidnapped their own child. There is another criminal in all this.

It's not a as simple as "person A forgets to do X resulting in the death of person B"

The situations aren't really comparable.

It's not a as simple as "person A forgets to do X resulting in the death of person B"

Legally it is ;)

Duty of care and all that...

A good example was if I was watching you walk along a corridor from a window and noticed you were heading for a banana skin someone had left lying, would I be under any duty of care to warn you? No...

If you were my daughter and you were heading for the banana skin, would I then be under any duty of care to warn you? Yep.

Edited by Hieronymous_Bosch

Let's not forget these parents haven't kidnapped their own child. There is another criminal in all this.

The situations aren't really comparable.

I'm not saying the situations are comparable, but the circumstances surrounding what led up to what happened and my analogy are similar. The reasoning that they should go unpunished because of the guilt and knowledge of what they've done doesn't really fit in with a justice system, as I'm willing to bet most people feel guilty after doing something wrong.

Legally it is ;)

I'm no expert on the law so shall take your word for it.

Morally I think it's a shame that people are concentrating on punishing person A when without the intervention of person C, Person B would be fine.

If you are a social worker for 12 years which I doubt ,you should no better than judging situations without all the facts .You have probably gained your information about the case from whichever newspaper you have read.You strike me as another person on this forum with unrealistic expectations of childcare,the type of person who feels that a four year old should not be playing out by himself much like Steven indicated earlier in the thread.

Edited by seamus

Morally I think it's a shame that people are concentrating on punishing person A when without the intervention of person C, Person B would be fine.

That's the law though.

Supposing your child (Person B) was being cared for at a nursery, and one of the members of staff (Person A) let your child play outside unsupervised, and your child was kidnapped (by Person C) - what would you do?

I'm no legal expert either, but negligence always seemed more common sense than legalistic to me. It's nearly impossible to define in statute.

Would a "reasonable" parent in this situation have acted as they did, or not? Not being a parent, I wouldn't like to make a call on that.

I do remember looking after a 5 year old niece in a restaurant once, who when I turned my back for a second to see to my nephew who was crying she somehow ended up at the top of a long flight of marble stairs about to take a header down them. I (just) caught her in time, but had she fallen would I have been responsible or negligent?

That's the law though.

Supposing your child (Person B) was being cared for at a nursery, and one of the members of staff (Person A) let your child play outside unsupervised, and your child was kidnapped (by Person C) - what would you do?

Yes it has been mentioned it's the law.....doesn't mean the law shouldn't have a degree of compassion. In my opinion....

Edit: In answer to your question, I honestly don't know and hope I never have to find out.

Edited by skinnyjean