Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

Statto.com

This link has all Caley's Scottish Cup results going back to an emphatic 4-2 triumph over the jaggies at Kingsmills on the 6th September 1890...

Good work RayBees,

I was having a quick look through the results and noticed a game in the cup in December '78 against "Livingston", i assume this was Meadowbank Thistle as Livingston were not in existence then, or was it a non league outfit?

Over to you PRS!

Good work RayBees,

I was having a quick look through the results and noticed a game in the cup in December '78 against "Livingston", i assume this was Meadowbank Thistle as Livingston were not in existence then, or was it a non league outfit?

Over to you PRS!

I''ve looked through it Scum and it looks like Caledonian played them two seasons in a row.

It would've been Meadowbank I'm sure - the site will just have replaced Meadowbank or Ferranti with Livingston for all ties. I wonder what they'll be called next?

It would've been Meadowbank I'm sure - the site will just have replaced Meadowbank or Ferranti with Livingston for all ties. I wonder what they'll be called next?

Defunct?

This is from Wikipedia, which isn't always right, but I think is correct in this instance, I vaguely remember a bit of debate at the time about admitting a "sponsored" team, and general disbelief that a Highland League side didn't get admitted, how things change!

"The club was founded in 1943 as Ferranti Thistle, a works team. The club was admitted to the Scottish Football League and renamed as Meadowbank Thistle in 1974"

Should have read the full article first!!, here is a bit more depth - "Ferranti Thistle (1943–1974)The club began life as Ferranti Thistle in 1943. A works team, they initially played in the East of Scotland League. The team played at City Park in Edinburgh. Following the demise of Third Lanark., a place opened up in the second division of the Scottish Football League. After beating off competition from four Highland League sides, Hawick Royal Albert. and Gateshead United., Ferranti Thistle were accepted into the league by a vote of 21–16 over Inverness Thistle.. However, due to stringent SFL rules on overt sponsorship of teams at the time, Ferranti Thistle were forced to change their name to take their place in the league. After a campaign by the Edinburgh Evening News to find a name for the club, the name Meadowbank Thistle was chosen, and approved by the SFL in time for the new season."

Edited by Jacksgranda

Good work RayBees,

Over to you PRS!

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been in North Uist for the last 8 days, well away from the internet. Caley lost at Meadowbank Thistle 2-1 in January 1978, the Legend getting Caleys goal with a glancing header. The following season, Meadowbank pumped Caley 3-0 at Telford Street, after a 1 - 1 draw at Meadowbank, Caleys goal being scored by Andy Penman, or in some reports was credited as an og as there was a deflection. Met a former Caley season ticket holder, a born and bred Uist man.

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been in North Uist for the last 8 days, well away from the internet. Caley lost at Meadowbank Thistle 2-1 in January 1978, the Legend getting Caleys goal with a glancing header. The following season, Meadowbank pumped Caley 3-0 at Telford Street, after a 1 - 1 draw at Meadowbank, Caleys goal being scored by Andy Penman, or in some reports was credited as an og as there was a deflection. Met a former Caley season ticket holder, a born and bred Uist man.

I knew you would come up with the required details PRS, i take it Meadowbank were in the 2nd Div at the time as it was only a couple of seasons after they were elected.

I remember watching Meadowbank a few times when i stayed in Edinburgh in the mid Eighties, (they were shit!)

BTW congrats for surviving 8 days on Uist, (you get a plaque or something for that don't you) :cheers )

Backtracking to the Wikepedia entry about Meadowbank/Ferranti, does anyone know who the 5 Highland League applicants were?

Obviously Inverness Thistle were one, as they were mentioned in the article, but who were the other 4 - I'll hazard a guess at Caley, Ross County, Elgin City and Keith?, Nairn County?, Forres?

Backtracking to the Wikepedia entry about Meadowbank/Ferranti, does anyone know who the 5 Highland League applicants were?

Obviously Inverness Thistle were one, as they were mentioned in the article, but who were the other 4 - I'll hazard a guess at Caley, Ross County, Elgin City and Keith?, Nairn County?, Forres?

I've had a look at 'Highland Hundred' but no luck there. It does say 'Thistle enjoyed the support of Celtic and Rangers but Albion Rovers' chairman Tom Fagan favoured Ferranti Thistle and gave warnings about the time and cost of travel to Inverness.' No doubt PRS will open up the great big encyclopaedia in his head to give us the answer.

By the way PRS, weren't you supposed to lend me your copy of 'Caley All The Way'?