Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

First got into Caley early '80s my then P.E teacher Derek Dewar was playing for Caley, i think he was in central defence of defensive midfield (memory could be playing tricks) anyway first game i "remember" was a pre season friendly against Leicester City 1-6 if i remember, maybe someone with a better memory will correct me.

Plenty of brilliant memories after that, top team, top fans top times. :D

Derek Dewar joined Caley in the summer of 1980 from Brora Rangers, a versatile player who could play just about any outfield position. I remember speaking to Billy Macintosh, a Caley player at that time, who said that the club had signed him primarily as a striker, but he rarely played up front.

So do you Caley fans nae go and watch fitba these days since you dont seem to support ICT.

Av nae much happy memories o Caley as they always seemed to beat the Buckie Jags wi somethng to spare although it was always a big match. WE did beat yi one year 87/88 4-3 at Telford Street the year we bottled the league. WE needed to beat Clach last game by 8-0 and only got a 2-2 drawn and a the Caly players / supporters willing on their INverness rivals

Ah the last game, the end of an era, the final denouement, all those memories. for all those thousands at the game.

Oh hold on - it was thousands wasn't it?

Yeah around 2500 in total including the Huntly support :huh: was this comment meant to be as sarcastic as it has come across?

So do you Caley fans nae go and watch fitba these days since you dont seem to support ICT.

Av nae much happy memories o Caley as they always seemed to beat the Buckie Jags wi somethng to spare although it was always a big match. WE did beat yi one year 87/88 4-3 at Telford Street the year we bottled the league. WE needed to beat Clach last game by 8-0 and only got a 2-2 drawn and a the Caly players / supporters willing on their INverness rivals

Most of us do attend matches on a regular/semi regular basis, but don't really support a particular team, or at least not to the point where that club would be considered "our team". What we would all say is that football isn't as important a feature in our lives since 1994. Have been to Victoria Park a few times, but not surprisingly, not over the last 15 years. Used to be a good noisy home support from what I remember.

PRS still do have a good support both home and away. So you boys must miss the Highland league big time then ?? Caley were always a magic team in the Scottish Cup. Can mine MFR had a live commentary match fan yi beat Airdire on pens and then i think yi had aboot 5000 fans doon to ST Johnstone for a midweek match and Caley was still a Heilan League team then

PRS still do have a good support both home and away. So you boys must miss the Highland league big time then ?? Caley were always a magic team in the Scottish Cup. Can mine MFR had a live commentary match fan yi beat Airdire on pens and then i think yi had aboot 5000 fans doon to ST Johnstone for a midweek match and Caley was still a Heilan League team then

Was at the St Johnstone replay where there were some visiting fans locked out. It showed what Caley might have had had they gone on their own. Scottish Cup - I was at a Meadowbank v Buckie tie in the early '80s that ended 2-2 if my memory is correct. Ring any bells with you?

Good to hear from you BA, i used to enjoy the trips to Buckie, mind you when we got abuse from your lot we could hardly understand a word! :huh: one of our songs about Buckie gave the name of the fanzine "on a life support machine", thems the days. :lol:

Hello Northern, good to see you posting. How about listing your best all time Caley XI? This goes back to one of the early topics on here. Not trying to influence your choice but I don't expect to see the O'Hara brothers, Martin Hill or Steve Polson get a place. Look forward to seeing your choice.

Hello Northern, good to see you posting. How about listing your best all time Caley XI? This goes back to one of the early topics on here. Not trying to influence your choice but I don't expect to see the O'Hara brothers, Martin Hill or Steve Polson get a place. Look forward to seeing your choice.

Poor Stevie Polson, leave him alone he's a top bloke! :D Give me half an hour or so to think, everyone in a caley strip was a hero (except ALAN SMARTarse :angry: and Charlie "Jaggie" Crusty)

Ah the last game, the end of an era, the final denouement, all those memories. for all those thousands at the game.

Oh hold on - it was thousands wasn't it?

Fail

Poor Stevie Polson, leave him alone he's a top bloke! :D Give me half an hour or so to think, everyone in a caley strip was a hero (except ALAN SMARTarse :angry: and Charlie "Jaggie" Crusty)

Steve Polson had a good 80s moustache so he deserves a break. One guy who's still turning out for Clach is Daisy Ross. My dad tell's me he made a few sub appearances for Caley as a youngster and was shit. I can't remember this - can PRS or Northern shed any light? He's still shit by the way.

Welcome aboard Northern!

Right here go's im not saying it would work as a team by the way!

GK

Hamish Morrison

DEF

Kevin Mann

Bob Summers

Roddy Davidson

Wad

MID

Wilson Robertson

Doc

Danny McDonald

Martin Lisle

FOR

Alan Hercher

Urq

They would still take three points at the Dump even today! :lol:

Fail

Steve Polson had a good 80s moustache so he deserves a break. One guy who's still turning out for Clach is Daisy Ross. My dad tell's me he made a few sub appearances for Caley as a youngster and was shit. I can't remember this - can PRS or Northern shed any light? He's still shit by the way.

Welcome aboard Northern!

Cheers RB,

Not sure i know you mate but i have enjoyed reading the thread, it has taken yonks but good memories, (along with a few Kn*bs who have contributed SFA) keep the stories coming and hopefully a few more of the genuine crew will join in.

Fail

Welcome aboard Northern!

Not to my knowledge. This would have been around 20+ years ago if he did and I cannot remember him playing for Caley or seeing him in any team photos. However, Caley had a strong youth policy and there were several youngsters who had the odd appearance or were on the bench for a couple of games but were not good enough to progress to the first team pool. Most gave up playing football completely and signed for Thistle.

Edited by PRS

Fail

Welcome aboard Northern!

Sorry can't help either, and a suppose i would have remembered someone called Daisy, up where i live now EVERYONE is called Ross so i'll ask around, he must be related to somebody! ;)

Sorry can't help either, and a suppose i would have remembered someone called Daisy, up where i live now EVERYONE is called Ross so i'll ask around, he must be related to somebody! ;)

I think Daisy Ross is from Kinlochbervie

http://www.invernessclachnacuddin.co.uk/player.asp?pid=32

He's 39 so may well have started at Caley youth.

Saw Caleys youth team play against Hearts at Tynecastle in the late '80s. Bruce McCraw and his brother (goalie) were in the side as was Mad Dog, who scored a cracking OG. Game finished either 2-1 or 3-1 for Hearts. Speaking to Caley officials at the game, they mentioned they had a couple of players from the islands/Wester Ross, so maybe Daisy was one of them.