Scotland

Guest Guinness_Alan

Guest AyrDelighted

6. The public transport system - absolute peesh. Trains are extrortionate, buses are infrequent and unreliable, without any integration between train/bus/ferry services.

5. Glaswegians - NOT the most friendly people in the world.

4. The fact that the vast majority of Scottish actors are p!sh and feel the need the need to talk in a broad weeji accent that has a hint of kelvinside for the BBC, ie most of the actors in River City/Taggart etc - her fae Deacon Blue and co.

3. The hangers on in the Tartan Army who only join to go abroad for a p!ss up and make a tit of themselves under the banner of the Scottish National football team.

2. Daily Retard and its 'campaigns for the good of the Scottish nation'

1. The fact that those in charge are intent on creating 65 million social worker jobs in order to 'help' those who 'need' it instead of investing in jobs, housing and the community environment which would improve social wellbeing and do away with this excessive need for bloody social workers!!!!!!! :angry:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 - The National Football Side - Like many others have said, it seems Scotland and its fans will settle for being shite because so many people have too much respect (or feel too sorry) for the pleasant Scots to actually say they're pish. Therefore, since they're not getting slated for it and actually applauded for their good behavior and the likes - they're satisfied!

4. The Parliament - What is the point in it? They just get totally bullied around by Westminster anyway. Also the amount of money it wasted on this new building. Think what the money could've gone towards instead. Cancer research for example.

3 - The Accent - Mine is soft thankfully but I absolutely cannot stand strong Scottish accents - see River City. I cringe when I hear it and Perth seems a little haven from it :lol:

2. Scottish Culture - What is so magnificent about kilts? Gaelic? I think our countrys culture pales in comparison with that of others.

1. The Weather - Says it all in itself!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

That's the biggest lot of ill informed p!sh I've ever had the misfortune to read on this forum.

5 - The National Football Side - Like many others have said, it seems Scotland and its fans will settle for being shite because so many people have too much respect (or feel too sorry) for the pleasant Scots to actually say they're pish. Therefore, since they're not getting slated for it and actually applauded for their good behavior and the likes - they're satisfied! 

Nah, don't agree there. I don't think the country or Scotland fans 'settle for being shite'. I have never actually been to a Scotland game, but I have mates who have been all over Europe watching them and they don't settle for being shite. There is a culture of 'I'm away from the wife and getting blootered, wa-hey' about Scottish fans however, and the geniune fans I know don't like this either.

4. The Parliament - What is the point in it? They just get totally bullied around by Westminster anyway. Also the amount of money it wasted on this new building. Think what the money could've gone towards instead. Cancer research for example.

The Scottish Parliament democratises the administration of Scotland. You say they 'just get totally bullied around by Westminster'? In several areas of policy there are significant deviations between Holyrood and Westminster - care for the elderly, tuition fees and now Proportional Representation in local government. To my mind, the Scottish Parliament is a marvellous institution, the problem lies with the MSPs located in it.

3 - The Accent - Mine is soft thankfully but I absolutely cannot stand strong Scottish accents - see River City. I cringe when I hear it and Perth seems a little haven from it

Hmmm, I think you mean Glaswegian / Central Belt accents. Certainly up here very few people speak with accents similar to those in River City (I say this from teh adverts I occasionally see for it, never watched the program). Do you include Aberdonian, Western Isles, Invernessian and Shetland accents in this? Do you know what they sound like?

2. Scottish Culture - What is so magnificent about kilts? Gaelic? I think our countrys culture pales in comparison with that of others.

A rather closed view of Scottish culture - kilts and Gaelic. How about great thinkers like Hume, Smith or Knox? Are you telling me that they pale in comparison to other countries culture of thinkers?

1. The Weather - Says it all in itself!

As I said before who wants sunshine all the time, it's shit. There's no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothes :D

I think we should invite SS to the training sesh on Sunday! ;)

We've got a special guest attending already ;) , but Saint Sam would be welcome :P

5) I don't like the attitude towards the National team either. As a result I take no interest in their results.

4) I agree with the point about the Parliament building, a total waste of money. People dying all over the world, think how much that £400 million would help discover cures for diseases. Why couldn't they just put seats down in an old church or something?

3) I hate that sort of River City accent, though I quite like the Brechin tone, especially when trying to shout abuse at a referee :lol:

2) Kilts are rank. And we didn't invent the bagpipes, not many people know that ;)

1) The weather is awful. I've had a cold for 4 years continually now. The last time I didn't have one, was in America. Obviously, we need a bit of rain to keep the crops going, but sun is much better.

4) I agree with the point about the Parliament building, a total waste of money. People dying all over the world, think how much that £400 million would help discover cures for diseases. Why couldn't they just put seats down in an old church or something?

That totally misses the point about the parliament!!

The Holyrood building was the work of Donald Dewar. There were many cheaper alternatives mooted about but Dewar for reasons only he knows - (and there's no chance of him telling now) opted for the Holyrood option with no fixed price meaning we've ended up with the ridiculous bill when we could have had the Calton Hill site for free.

The Parliament itself has been a massive success - you only have to see the effect it's had on the city of Edinburgh to know that. It's the politicians inside it that are the problem!

2. Neds

Having been down in London since Feb I'm not so sure. Barnet is a great place to live but I've limited going out to London City Centre (especially during Euro 2004!) The amounts of thugs that frequent the local pubs and clubs is pretty scary. They have 2 things in mind, get a ride or punch F*** out of someone.

The Parliament Building is a national disgrace, the money wasted on that is unbelievable (can you tell I am bitter because I did not get the kitchen fit out <_< )

However having worked on building sites in the past the shit the papers bring up is laughable, all building plans change weekly if not daily, this building is no different, only more in the public eye.

But dont forget kids, its long term success is the main thing, if we are free in years to come it will be money well spent. We might not live to see it though, but heres hoping it will happen ;)

I don't have a problem with the building. Its the people in charge!!!

2nd Division MSPs not good enough for the Big Parliament at Westminster.

Only McLetchie and Canavan can debate well, the rest are jumped up nothings. See 3 First Ministers in 4 years, Christ! Tony Blair is only the 4th Prime Minister in my Lifetime.

If the Scottish Parliament rid us of the need for the SNP then its worth it.

Remember Kids, Home rule is Rome Rule! Always say no to it.

:lol::lol:

Aye, but where we live you could put Kermit The Frog up for election, if it had a Labour badge on it would get in, you know it as well as me.

Thats another thing wrong with Scotland, the fuds that will "always be Labour", the trade unions and the grip they still have on firms. I thoght those days were long gone till recently <_<

I don't have a problem with the building. Its the people in charge!!!

2nd Division MSPs not good enough for the Big Parliament at Westminster.

Only McLetchie and Canavan can debate well, the rest are jumped up nothings. See 3 First Ministers in 4 years, Christ! Tony Blair is only the 4th Prime Minister in my Lifetime.

If the Scottish Parliament rid us of the need for the SNP then its worth it.

I wrote my dissertation on the Scottish Parliament, it is a superbly designed political institution. The problem is the tossers within. Look at the SNP leadership - Roseanna Cunningham v Nicola Sturgeon? Jesus wept!

I agree with Olaf that McLetchie and Canavan are good debators, Sheridan can give a good speech but the SSP are a one man band - if they didn't have Sun Tan Tommy people might read their ludicrious policies.

As for the last sentance, Olaf must be the reincarnation of Pastor Jack Glass - hallelujah! :lol:;)

1) The apathetic attitude of most Scots towards our country and our history.

2) The Old Firm. And the demise of Scottish football. (Still the best in the world, mind).

3) Thousands of central belt morons who will vote Labour simply because their parents did and they still see Labour as a working class party.

4) Our MSPs. In most countries (I would think) intelligent, passionate and people who can actually speak about real issues are elected. Whereas here, it's monosyllabic, wooden puppets like Jack McConnal and Kathy Jamieson.

I had to think about that quite hard actually. And I tried to avoid things which are not Scotish, but worldwide like neds, arse hole sum types, moaning old folk etc, etc. i think a lot of the things on this list are reasons like that.

Anyway, I wouldn't live anywhere else (for any serious length of time) and am proud to be Scottish.

Crikey, if you want to go down that road again, (and it all came out in the lousy movie thread for some reason!) it's because I think any form of nationalism is dangerous. If people are become more apathetic towards their own country's history, I think that points to a willingness to move towards a federal Europe, which I would like, and away from the idea of the seperatist "nation state". I feel European, not Scottish, and have an interest in collective history.

Having said that, I'm not convinced people are increasingly apathetic towards Scottish history. I just can't take pride in my nationality, which is something I can't do anything about.

I couldn't agree more about your number 4 though. You are spot on there.

Archived