Holland In Semi's

Guest Juninho

Guest Wheezy

Holland through, nil nil and then penalties, lungberg hit penalty that came off bar and hit van der saar and went in but holland won when mellberg misses and robben scores.

Dutch go through and ready to beat Portugal!

Holland Euro 2004 Champions!

Guest Ruggy Bairn
I have never seen that in a penalty shoot-out before. Wasn't sure it was even legal.

It's not Steve, see "What are you watching " thread. ;)

Guest Ruggy Bairn
The ball didnt actually hit the ground before it hit van der saar

It doesn't matter. As soon as it travels back toward the kicker, it's deemed out of play.

but holland won when mellberg misses.

Thatll be the last Aston villa player to ever take a sudden death penalty again................ *p.s. im not sure but i dont think villa have the best record in penalties either*

It doesn't matter. As soon as it travels back toward the kicker, it's deemed out of play.

There's actually nothing in the laws of the game that suggests that. The only part of it that seems relevant is that "the referee decides when a penalty kick is completed". I had originally thought that it shouldn't have been allowed but after checking the laws I don't know. There doesn't appear to be any clear ruling on it.

I always thought that what is described is ok. I mean what if the ball hits post, then rolls across not over but the spin then takes it in? or hits the bar comes down on the no goal side of the line and the spin takes it back in? I think the kick is dead when the ball stops, although i may not be sure.

Considering they gave Rooney a similar goal from the Switzerland game, when it only went in thanks to the keeper, I think we can assume it's legal :)

You can't compare a goal in open play to a penalty kick. For example, if a player hits a shot off the post and scores from the rebound, it's a goal in open play but it'd be disallowed from a penalty kick.

But if it's an England player that does it, in particular Wyane Rooney, then surely there will be a nationwide inquest into why the goal didn't stand, and the ref made a scapegoat :lol:

Bert Konterman's penalty against PSG two or three years back was the same circumstance, but it was disallowed. Much moaning and bleating followed from the ****, even though they did win. Actually, I'm surprised Dick Advocaat didn't say anything the other night.

Mexico 86 saw Brazil v France in a penalty shootout. One of them hit the post, came back out, hit the keeper and went in. It stood.

Holland are the jammiest bunch of b*****ds out. They have been utter shite and yet find themselves in the semis. Given that I want ANYONE but them to win it, it is likely that they will do just that.

My preferred winners in order - Czech, Greece, Portugal, F'ckw'ts.

AT

I always thought that what is described is ok. I mean what if the ball hits post, then rolls across not over but the spin then takes it in? or hits the bar comes down on the no goal side of the line and the spin takes it back in? I think the kick is dead when the ball stops, although i may not be sure.

I'd always understood it that in a penalty shoot out or one after time has expired at the end of a game the kick was deemed complete when it rebounded from the bar and was not to be counted if it went back in after rebounding off anybody or anything. I was sure when watching the game last night in the pub that Ljungberg's effort should not have counted and was left looking stupid (again! :rolleyes: ) when it was allowed to stand.

Ruggy got anything more on this as an ex-referee?

I'd always understood it that in a penalty shoot out or one after time has expired at the end of a game the kick was deemed complete when it rebounded from the bar and was not to be counted if it went back in after rebounding off anybody or anything. I was sure when watching the game last night in the pub that Ljungberg's effort should not have counted and was left looking stupid (again! :rolleyes: ) when it was allowed to stand.

Ruggy's already said it should NOT have counted.

Guest Ruggy Bairn

Correct. As soon as the ball travels back toward the kicker in any manner, be it hitting the post, bar, or saved by the keeper, the kick is complete. Ljumberg's effort most definitely should not have stood, and I can only assume that the referee and his assistant thought it hit the bar and went in. For Fifa referees to make that kind of howler, particularly when his assistant should be standing 8 yards from the goal and on the goal-line, is incredible.

Guest Ruggy Bairn

I should also add, that I noticed Ljumberg shout over to the ref as he was walking back up the park. Maybe checking if he'd been awarded the goal?

I was honestly waiting for Holland to have won it after the 5 kicks, thinking that the commentators etc had just missed the penalty being disallowed.

Archived