P&b Running Club

Sorry to jump in, but could I ask how many folk (roughly) go and how long is it on for?

Between 20 and 60 depending on the time of year and weather. It is a timed 2k and 5k run. Both start at 6.30pm and we meet and the Tradeston Passenger Bridge (the weird squiggly one at Atlantic Quay) at 6.15pm.

If you go to https://www.greatrunlocal.org/register then you can register for your timing band. You can run without this, but it is the only way to get a time. Our next run will probably be in the New Year, but you can get more info by searching for Great Run Local Glasgow Quays on Facebook.

Between 20 and 60 depending on the time of year and weather. It is a timed 2k and 5k run. Both start at 6.30pm and we meet and the Tradeston Passenger Bridge (the weird squiggly one at Atlantic Quay) at 6.15pm.

If you go to https://www.greatrunlocal.org/register then you can register for your timing band. You can run without this, but it is the only way to get a time. Our next run will probably be in the New Year, but you can get more info by searching for Great Run Local Glasgow Quays on Facebook.

Thank you :) I have found and liked the Facebook page - going to have a look at registering for a timing band. Really want to come along although I have the fear of being last (or ending up in the Clyde!)

Keeping next year's goals very simple: three big ones (D33, Mudder, Loch Ness Mara), probably a couple of halfs, and find a 5k and 10k PB in there somewhere.

Double Parkrun on New Year's Day in Aberdeen to kick things off.

Hope everyone runs well and stays injury free!

Thank you :) I have found and liked the Facebook page - going to have a look at registering for a timing band. Really want to come along although I have the fear of being last (or ending up in the Clyde!)

Lol. Don't worry about finishing last. We have a broad range of abilities with a few runners capable of sub 18 - sub 20, and a majority ranging between 20 and 35 mins, with an occasional over 35 min runner.

I don't use an HRM, and none of the runners I know use one either. Others might have a different view but from the quick try of one I've had, I just found it more hassle than it was worth.

I sort of achieved the first of next year's goals a week early, doing my first sub-19 at Kirkcaldy parkrun on Saturday. I say sort of, because it was a different route to normal with an extra downhill section as rerouting was required due to flooding. Still though, it was a good run on a horrible day, and hopefully I'll get under 19 on the normal route soon.

Recently I realised I have a very lazy left leg, and that pretty much every muscle on that side, from arse to toe, is much smaller and weaker than the equivalent on the right. I've started doing some strength exercises focusing on that side, and have short spells when I'm running where I force the left leg to do more of the work (the increase in pace when I do that is amazing) but too early to say if it's having any effect yet. Anyone else ever had a similar issue?

Recently I realised I have a very lazy left leg, and that pretty much every muscle on that side, from arse to toe, is much smaller and weaker than the equivalent on the right. I've started doing some strength exercises focusing on that side, and have short spells when I'm running where I force the left leg to do more of the work (the increase in pace when I do that is amazing) but too early to say if it's having any effect yet. Anyone else ever had a similar issue?

I didn't get a great sleep last night, so I may be being extra thick, but how do you force one leg to do more than the other? Hop every few steps?

I don't use an HRM, and none of the runners I know use one either. Others might have a different view but from the quick try of one I've had, I just found it more hassle than it was worth.

I think if I was running purely for running then I wouldn't bother, but all of my running is centred around being fit to referee football. I think the HRM will be a pretty useful tool for that.

Following on from my calf pull four weeks ago, started back on the treadmill at the gym last week. Walk/jog for 5k, mostly walking and gradually building up over my three visits. I also added a bit of cross-trainer into the mix too. Everything went well, although I was feeling a bit apprehensive about tweaking the calf again.

Went back tonight and ran about 3/4 pace for 3km before the calf started to feel a little bit tight, but nothing too concerning. Still, I eased off and walked for the next 1km jogged the next 2k at half pace. It had eased off but started to feel tight again by the end and I called it a day.

In hindsight I should perhaps still kept it to more walking to jogging - a lesson learned. I will head along on Hogmanay for another reduced session.

Things are looking up, although I think I need to reset my expectations about when I am back to full fitness.

On a side note I got a pair of adidas Adios Boost 2, Haile trainers for Chrimbo and I am looking forward to getting out in them. I had a pair of Adios Boost 2 (Orange) last year and while it took a while to get used to the minanalist feel, I broke PBs about seven or eight times times over the course of last year.

Edited by qos_75

I use a garmin HRM-run. I don't think there's much difference between it and the premium strap other than the metrics it gives. I barley notice it's there. I had a polar before which rubbed a little and gave my a bit of irritation after long runs but the straps were fairly similar. The HRM-run won't give you the running dynamics through your device and to be honest the only one it can other than HR that's of any use is the cadence which I think your watch will give anyway.

You could probably go into a running store an have a look at what they have and see what's feels most comfortable.

Completed Marcothon today with a 16 mile run with one of my running mates. I managed to cover 284.6km over the course of the month and a total of 2343.5km for the year. My second heaviest running month ever (after March this year) and easily the most miles I have done in a year.

Hopefully this will result in better performances in 2016!

Well done all. The distance some of you have ran this year is a wee bit mind-boggling. I finished my running year yesterday on 501.38 miles after a brutal 6 miles in the driving wind and pishing rain.

I'll probably give tomorrow a miss but I hope to get out again on Sat and Sun to kick start my year.

All the best for the New Year!!

Have enjoyed reading about the summaries for this, and the goals for next year over the last week or so. Well done ArabGaz for squeezing out the 500th mile!

I finished the year on 1,641km/1,019 miles. I haven't ran for nearly three weeks with illness, so looking to get back to parkrun tomorrow while taking it easy.

Targets for next year are consolidation over shorter distances and nail the spring/autumn marathons. Sounds easy when put like that!

Happy New Year, all.

Well done everyone who either made their mileage target or completed Marcothon in the last few days. Soe decent running in there.

As for the question on how to make one leg work harder - I just try to push off harder from that foot, and force it to rotate properly and push up fro the ball of the foot. The left shoe always wears ridiculouly at the heel and not at all at the front while the right is much ore even. Not sure if it'll work though - if not then I might try the hopping suggestion!

I've found it a real struggle to get myself out this week. Maybe to do with loss of routine with being off work, but I've had quite a few days where I really had to force myslef to go out.

Morrison - not sure if you saw it but the Loch Katrine half looks like being put back to later in the year. If you want to do Alloa in March intead, you'd be better to enter soon as it's at about 2200 entries just now (out of 3000). Last year the last few hundred seemed to fill up pretty quickly once it got past new year.

As for the question on how to make one leg work harder - I just try to push off harder from that foot, and force it to rotate properly and push up fro the ball of the foot. The left shoe always wears ridiculouly at the heel and not at all at the front while the right is much ore even. Not sure if it'll work though - if not then I might try the hopping suggestion!

Thanks for the explanation, good luck with it!