P&b Running Club

Anyone in for the Polaroid 10k's this year? Good deal getting 4 races, T shirt and sunglasses for £45 with SAL discount.

I haven't done a 10k in 3 years, and I wasn't really into running when I done that one. PB is 48.30, but I have recently got parkrun times below 20. Should be looking at around the 42 minute mark I think?

My girlfriend made me sign up for the Clydebank one a week on Thursday. Then my work told me that I might need to travel abroad which is probably just as well since I'm doing a half-marathon on Saturday and it usually takes me a week to recover. 

There is an online calculator thing that estimates your race time, based on a different time you entered. For example, if you can do a 20 minute 5k, it estimates you'll do the 10k in 41:41. Obviously, it's only a calculated guess, but it does seem pretty accurate for me at least. 

Depending on your age, you could maybe try and get automatic entry?

The qualifying time is sub 3.15 for age 41-49 or 3.05 for under age 40.

Edinburgh is the course to go for as its downhill for the 6 miles or so.

I was aiming for a 2.45 marathon at Edinburgh when I injured my knee and had to give up. I would love to do it and then run London but I just don't think my knee could handle the long run now.

My other problem would be that I'd end up aiming for a sub 3 hour time to compound matters and I'm a long way off from running 6.52 minute miles for 26.2 miles!

I'll see how things go. If my knee holds up after parkrun tomorrow then I'll maybe try 15k on Sunday and see if I can run some of it in 7 minute miles.

Thanks mate, appreciate the thought, but I'll be about 80 before I can qualify for a good for age time ;)

Yeah, was a similar story that made me aware of it  the other day. Asked the organiser and he said not to, which was fine. Was a bit pissed off when I saw other folk wearing them though! Will definitely be going with them at Kirkcudbright later in the month, hated running without them and I've seen plenty of folk there with them before.

Despite not running with them I beat pretty much all my targets for the five mile race tonight. Was aiming for somewhere between 40 and 45 minutes and did it in just under 40, which I'm delighted with. Just need to wait on the results going up to see where I finished - was about 160 folk and didn't think there was a hope of me finishing in the top 100 but after that time I've an outside chance.

Yeah, was a similar story that made me aware of it  the other day. Asked the organiser and he said not to, which was fine. Was a bit pissed off when I saw other folk wearing them though! Will definitely be going with them at Kirkcudbright later in the month, hated running without them and I've seen plenty of folk there with them before.

Despite not running with them I beat pretty much all my targets for the five mile race tonight. Was aiming for somewhere between 40 and 45 minutes and did it in just under 40, which I'm delighted with. Just need to wait on the results going up to see where I finished - was about 160 folk and didn't think there was a hope of me finishing in the top 100 but after that time I've an outside chance.

UK Athletics rules now - RULE 240 S 5 UKA SUPPLEMENT – HEADPHONES - The wearing of headphones, or similar devices, (other than those medically prescribed), is not permitted in races on any single carriageway road that is not wholly closed to traffic. This restriction does not apply to races held on dual carriageways provided that there are clear, structured separations between the separate carriageways. Competition Providers of races held entirely on roads closed to traffic may apply this condition where appropriate to local circumstances.

I stopped listening to music on runs about a year ago and I think I prefer it now.

I've said it before on this thread, but I had to drop running to music when my headphones broke.  I missed the music, but my pace improved, so I never went back to it, even when I got my arse in gear and bought new headphones.

ETA - the sound of slapping feet and tortured lungs must be more motivational than Green Day, ZZ Top, Gun, etc.  :lol: .

Tried running to Prodigy once, thought the freneticism would speed me up.  Epic Fail.

Edited by Boghead ranter

UK Athletics rules now - RULE 240 S 5 UKA SUPPLEMENT – HEADPHONES - The wearing of headphones, or similar devices, (other than those medically prescribed), is not permitted in races on any single carriageway road that is not wholly closed to traffic. This restriction does not apply to races held on dual carriageways provided that there are clear, structured separations between the separate carriageways. Competition Providers of races held entirely on roads closed to traffic may apply this condition where appropriate to local circumstances.

I stopped listening to music on runs about a year ago and I think I prefer it now.

I could have pedantically argued with them last night that we were on single track roads rather than single carriageway :lol: I don't listen to music for the most part, usually lengthy podcasts.

Looks like I came 71st (ish) out of more than 150 last night. Delighted with that.

Thanks mate, appreciate the thought, but I'll be about 80 before I can qualify for a good for age time ;)

I actually don't think the vast majority of runners run at a pace that is anywhere near their potential.

You need to be in pain from more or less the start of a race all the way round and be doubled up at the end, including the marathon. The shorter the race, the more brutal the pain.

If you aren't in pain then you ain't running fast enough!

For the first few months after I began running, I would just go out and run. It became a bit easier and I went a bit faster.

However, I had a step change when I started training with a group of serious runners. Interval training at brutal paces made all the difference.

I'd agree with that, Arthur. Joining a club and having structured sessions there to build on speed/stamina, and folk pushing you are huge. The track & hill sessions with my club have been great, and really satisfying if tough as!

To realise your 'potential' at the marathon is a massive time commitment, though, as you'll know, and a big ask for many. On the shorter distances there's a little more scope as, funnily enough, it's less time-intensive. That's not to say it's any easier!

I don't really have the commitment at the moment. My youngest is 3 and husband is currently working away through the week so I don't get the chance to train as much as I'd like. I joined a club and I can get a babysitter for one of the sessions most weeks, so I've been going to that and I've seen a huge improvement already. :)

I know not everyone can do this, however, regarding time constraints, this is what I did when I worked in Glasgow.

My house was 9 miles from the office. Ideal. I could more or less run the 9 miles quicker than any other form of transport.

One way, or a doubler, or drive the car 3 miles and do a doubler...

Massive mileage.

The guys I trained with ran at lunchtimes. Again, no time loss.

That just leaves a long run at the weekend.

I actually used to go out with my son when he was just 6. He'd cycle with me for 5 miles up to his grans, stop for somethin to eat while I ran another 8 and he'd be waiting for me for the final 5 back home.

No family time taken whatsoever, I saved cash and even got brownie points from the missus.

Where there is a will, there is usually a way!

Another idea is to buy a treadmill.

You can buy a decent treadmill for less than an annual gym membership.

We got one for our son at Xmas and it allows you train whenever you want in all weather!

Also, don't get me wrong about the high mileage.

Read up on Bruce Tulloh. He won the Euro 5000m gold in 13 minutes whatever and did it on 30 miles a week, including warm ups, while working full time.

He just ran fast all the time!

His view is that if you want to run fast then train fast. Internals in particular are what he did. And he mainly trained on his own.

I train on my own these days myself. You can easily train fast on your own.

Depends on what you want mind you. Some folk just enjoy going for a nice enjoyable run. They enjoy chatting with mates, etc.

But I do it for the races.

Back in the day, training fast meant that your easy runs were fast.

I'm just back from a 5k run in 23 mins. First mile was relatively slow in 8 mins but the next two left me out of breath. Back in the day, that would have been an easy jog!

I'm partcularly missing it at the moment as work hasn't been great fun for the last few weeks. After a crap day at work I really love going out for a good 10 miles on my own at a decent pace, and for some reason it's even better doing it in the rain in that situation. I'm finding it quite hard to have wee things like that taken away. Not being able to run, I was asked if I fancied having a go at timekeeping for a track event, so went to Grangemouth last week for an open graded meeting. Interesting to see what happens at these things, and as I found out, there's much more of a knack to recording accurate times than you'd think. It also makes you realise just how many people have to turn up on the night for these things to take place at all.

I agree wth the new rule that bans headphones in races held on open roads; I've seen a couple of moments when folk have been completely unaware of their surroundngs due to being absorbed in whatever they were listening to.

Don't think I'm going to do a marathon this year, I thnk I'd just be risking another injury if I tried it. Revised targets for the year are now to get running again, do a decent half marathon time within a couple of minutes of PB, and nal the Templeton 10 in November after getting the early pacing wrong last year. If I can do that and get my Sunday run back up to 16-17 mles every week by the end of the year n preparation for a spring marathon next year, I'll be happy enough.

I agree wth the new rule that bans headphones in races held on open roads; I've seen a couple of moments when folk have been completely unaware of their surroundngs due to being absorbed in whatever they were listening to.

Email just in from Lochleven HM. 

As many of you may be aware UK Athletics / Scottish Athletics are clamping down on runners wearing headphones whilst running.PLEASE DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES WHILST RUNNING ON OPEN ROADS.. The roads used during the race are open to traffic.If you can't hear cars/bikes/runners/marshalls you are a danger to yourself and others. In recent weeks many runners have been disqualified from races for wearing headphones. If you do wear them, and also run in races, perhaps now would be a great time to stop! To put on races we need to obtain a race permit from Scottish Athletics, and to get a permit we need to obey their rules (Rule 240 S 5, regarding headphones)

I take it slight issue with the implication that wearing headphones means you can't hear anything else. As I said before, I just like to hear a beat in the background to keep me motoring along and stave off the boredom. But the main reason I do it is to have a voice alert every 0.5km telling me my speed. If I set off too fast, I'll have no idea until I'm absolutely knackered later on. I realise that I could buy a watch etc, but I'd rather not spend that money when I don't have to. 

The rules talk about headphones. I wonder if I could argue that I'm using earphones, not headphones, therefore I'm exempt? :)

I suspect that's splitting hairs, Cardinal, but if you ask, I'd be interested to hear the answer!

Socks, sounds like a sensible revision on your goals for the year.

Treadmills - ugh! Hate the things. 'Train fast, run fast' is fine to a point, too. A couple of speed sessions a week is reasonable if half or marathon training going by most plans I've seen. Any more and you're risking burning yourself out before raceday, unless your mileage is particularly low.

Aye, I think I'm pissing in the wind with that one Morrison!

But I will abide by the rules and see what happens. There's a PC World outside my work, so I might pop in and see what cheap Garmin-type watches they have. 

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-watches-and-fitness/sports-trackers/garmin-forerunner-15-gps-running-watch-large-black-blue-10015819-pdt.html

Excuse the questions that have undoubtedly been asked dozens of times on this thread, but for a watch like this - after I've set it up, do I simply strap it on and it will tell me how I'm doing as I'm running (basically I just need to know total distance / time, and perhaps the speed of my last km). ... Also, once you've finished the run, can you upload the details up to Runkeeper?

A bit more research has answered the question ... https://support.runkeeper.com/hc/en-us/articles/201110476-How-To-Import-GPS-Data-To-Runkeeper-Using-Garmin-Connect

Maybe I'll splash out then!

Runnng watches don't have to cost the earth to be fair....I recently got a Tom Tom sports watch wich only set me back 62 quid , fairly basic compared to some watches but it'll do everything you want it to do,.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Official-TomTom-Dark-Grey-GPS-Sports-Runner-Watch-Graphical-Training-Partner-/121832217173?hash=item1c5dc41a55:g:6X4AAOSwX~dWl8nr

had been using phone apps but it's definetly more accurate

Edited by Co.Down Hibee