P&b Running Club

I've spent the last little while considering the neujahrsmarathon there, but if that's the weather in Spring, I dread to think what a Swiss winter would bring!

Only just noticed this. Surprisingly, the weather at Christmas over the last couple of years has been relatively decent in terms of running conditions. Don't get me wrong, it's been cold, but there has been no snow/sleet/rain and absolutely no wind.

I done the Luzern HM a couple of years ago and the conditions were similar to Zürich a few weeks back. Weather had been fantastic in the lead up then on the Sunday morning of the race there was a borderline tropical storm.

ETA:

Anyone any experience with hip injuries? Pain is mostly on the outside of my hip but has spread a little in the last few days and now feeling a tightness in the hamstring.

Edited by Ross.

I haven't done anything since last Tuesday, when I went on a treadmill in the hotel I was in for 25 minutes.  I hate treadmills.

Going to get out four times this week it hink - short run tonight, 10km later in the week, parkrun on Saturday and then long run Sunday.

Did five miles in an average of (just) under eight minutes a mile at running club tonight - first time I've been that quick over a sustained period. It's just a social run for improvers as they call it but I'm now determined to keep up with the group at the front of the longest route now. Definitely felt the benefit of that when out on my own last week as while I thought my pace was pish it was faster than I usually am over the longer distances.

Slightly concerned I've done the muscle in my backside again but if it behaves itself I'll hopefully do my first race, the five mile Holywood Stroll, next week :)

I've never really been a runner but I've been really enjoying it over the past week or so, I can't go fast or far yet but I'll get there! Ran 3k tonight in 17 mins, hoping to manage 5k soon enough.

Edited by Central

I've never really been a runner but I've been really enjoying it over the past week or so, I can't go fast or far yet but I'll get there! Ran 3k tonight in 17 mins, hoping to manage 5k soon enough.

That's great! I would encourage you to try a Parkrun - they are 5k and you just go at your own pace (I am far from fast myself!) everyone's supportive of each other too :)

That's great! I would encourage you to try a Parkrun - they are 5k and you just go at your own pace (I am far from fast myself!) everyone's supportive of each other too :)

Thank you! I'll have a wee look on the site.

You definitely should :) you need to register and print off a wee barcode but you only need to do that once. Are you Glasgow based?

5 mins east of Cumbernauld, looks like Falkirk has one so might give that a go :)

5 mins east of Cumbernauld, looks like Falkirk has one so might give that a go :)

There is also Springburn and Tollcross that aren't too far away. Tollcross has some steep hills but Springburns a nice wee course for starting out. The Falkirk one will be Callendar Park. Let us know how you get on!

Went to the doctors yesterday. Spent 10 minutes moving my leg and hip into all sorts of strange positions then decided it was probably a magnesium deficiency that is causing the pain. Gave me a prescription for some powder that I've to mix with water and drink for the next few weeks. Will give it a go but I think he is a quack.

Did just over 6k in 34mins 3rd run this week. Starting to enjoy it, first 10 mins I detest it but get into it after that. I'll probably buy a decent pair of running trainers then use them once and never see them again.

I'm by no means experienced but make sure you get the correct type of trainer. I picked up a £30 pair from Sports Direct and on last nights run I could feel that they just weren't the correct fit for my feet, if that makes sense? 

I think you get different shapes for flat feet etc so would definitely not just base it on looks like I did.