P&b Running Club

Which parkrun is closest to Glasgow city centre? I'm down for work in a few weeks and I was going to take my barcode...

You have Springburn and Tollcross. There is also Pollok and Victoria Park. You can reach them all easily from the city centre - will you be driving?

I was run director again this morning at parkrun. Had a few issues with the results - I don't think the scanners like the rain very much... Weird weather today.

The scanners are absolutely useless in heavy rain. As soon as water gets on them they struggle to scan anything. It is even worse when people present you with a sodding wet paper barcode - get in laminated or buy a bloody card ffs lol.

Which parkrun is closest to Glasgow city centre? I'm down for work in a few weeks and I was going to take my barcode...

All four of the main local ones are within one easy train journey of the City Centre (or a walk if you are a nutter like me).

Tollcross - Get the Edinburgh lower level train from Glasgow Queen Street to Carntyne. I think this currently departs at 0856 and gets you to Carntyne for 0906. It is then about a 10 minute walk to the park - pretty simple to find if you use google maps.

Victoria - Train from Glasgow lower level to either Partick, Hyndland or Jordanhill and a 10-20 minute walk from there depending on what station you get off at. I would advise Partick or Jordanhill as Hyndland involves walking through a housing estate and you could get lost.

Springburn - There is a direct service to Springburn from Glasgow Queen Street, but you would be either ages early or cutting it very fine getting that. I almost always just walk from Central to Springburn park when I go there - it is about 4.5k or so.

Pollok - Get the East Kilbride train from Glasgow Central and get off at Pollokshaws West. It is a 400m walk to the park entrance from there and just follow the signs for the Burrell collection.

Ran sub 40 at the Clydebank 10k on Thursday night.

Ran a fast first couple of k and suddenly had thoughts of a time in the low 38s.

But struggled a bit thereafter. Lack of training and mileage really.

Had to run 3.30 last k to make sure I finished under 40.

Happy with that.

Edinburgh 5k next Saturday, my boy is doing the HM on the Sunday.

Looking at last year's 5k, over 800 runners. Obviously not a quality field though.

1.5k uphill, not sure how that affect my time.

My son ran a pb in the low 34s. Still getting faster.

Hopefully he can get sub 34 by end of the summer.

Edited by Arthur I. Tess

I'm just back from my first 10K in ages. 55:26, a far cry from my olden-days PB of 44 minutes.

Would have been about 52 minutes if I hadn't shat myself on the way, though.

Nice.

My son shat himself twice in the Bute 10k last summer.

First one he went behind a bush but the urge came back on so he just did it without stopping.

Still ran in the low 35s mind you.

Because of the amount of beet juice he'd drank it initially looked like blood running down his leg.

The paramedic wasn't too chuffed when my boy explained to him that it wasn't blood he was wiping away...

Ran sub 40 at the Clydebank 10k on Thursday night.

Ran a fast first couple of k and suddenly had thoughts of a time in the low 38s.

But struggled a bit thereafter. Lack of training and mileage really.

Had to run 3.30 last k to make sure I finished under 40.

Happy with that.

Edinburgh 5k next Saturday, my boy is doing the HM on the Sunday.

Looking at last year's 5k, over 800 runners. Obviously not a quality field though.

1.5k uphill, not sure how that affect my time.

My son ran a pb in the low 34s. Still getting faster.

Hopefully he can get sub 34 by end of the summer.

Well done that is a good effort mate. Your son is obviously a talented young runner as well - low 34s for a 10k is rapid.

My son shat himself twice in the Bute 10k last summer.

First one he went behind a bush but the urge came back on so he just did it without stopping.

Still ran in the low 35s mind you.

Because of the amount of beet juice he'd drank it initially looked like blood running down his leg.

The paramedic wasn't too chuffed when my boy explained to him that it wasn't blood he was wiping away...

That is a cracker of a story. Luckily I have avoided that fate to date!

Thanks Bishy! That's really helpful!

I have just entered the Aviemore Half. I have demons to beat there... and I've had a couple of gins, so it didn't take much for me to click on the 'enter now' button.

I did the Clydebank 10k as well on Thursday night. Contemplated chucking it at 6.55pm when someone turned the tap on and water cascaded from the sky at an almost unfathomable rate.

However, by 7.10pm the rain disappeared and the skies brightened a tad. The air conditions were now nearly perfect for running, although it was a tad damp and slippy underfoot still.

Anyway the race itself went surprisingly well. I have been a decent form recently, but hadn't really put in any 10k length effort for a while, so wasn't sure what to expect.

Set off at the usual fast clip for the first couple of km and then settled into my rhythm. The minimum target was sub 37'03" (which I have run there the last two year amazingly), but I was hoping for a first 10k in nearly 2 years. To do that I needed to go under 36'41".

I went through halfway in 17'52", which is a strong first half for me, perhaps a little fast, but I find that my best 10k times occur when I got hard for the first 5-7k and then hang on.

From there it was a case of just banging out consistent km. Going into the last k in knew a pb was on, so pushed as hard as I could.

The second 5k was completed in 18'40", so a total time of 36'32" and a new pb by 9 seconds. I as delighted with that and think there might be a bit more to come as the season goes on.

Also went to Pollok parkrun this morning. Walked in from Cardonald, but went a 'quicker' way and got a tad lost. This led to my warm up being a jog into the park to make sure I made the start! That I did as I made it to the start line after getting ready just as the pre race announcements started.

The goal for today was just to run a decent race. My legs had still not really recovered from Thursday night, so I knew that I would really be threatening my course pb of 18'02" today.

Anyway I reached the end of the longer first lap in 9'32". This was around 8 secs outside pb pace, but was a bit faster than I was expecting given the hard race I had run just 38 hours earlier. The second (shorter) lap went even better - did that in 8'36". The impressive thing about that is that it was bang on pb pace, so I was just the 6 seconds outside that I dropped on the first circuit. So I finished in 18'08", my fourth fastest time on the undulating Pollok course in 70 odds attempts. Finished in fourth place overall as well, just beaten out for second and third in a sprint finish. Very happy with that result in the circumstances.

Edited by BishyTON

Nice one, Bishy. These last few days haven't been too shabby for you!

I'm over in Copenhagen this weekend; a bit of international parkrun tourism at Fælledparken, right next to FC Copenhagen's ground where I cruised round, and they had fresh rolls / cheese / jam for afters. Brilliant!

Ran the marathon today, my tenth in all. Just like Brighton last month, it was hot. This time, a bit too hot. Treated it as an LSR but even still, started to suffer at 30k. Didn't drop too much pace, but was still a slight positive split at just under 3:36, my 6th fastest time. The marathon's a cruel distance!

No one in our circle faired particularly well today, it just wasn't going to happen.

Well done Bishy and Arthur - good efforts there.

I've probably already told the story of the time I shat myself while running - 10pm, dark, sneaked into some bushes. Couldn't get my shorts down in time, and lost my key that I always attach to the tie cord of my shorts. Went ofr my spare key at my mum's, so ended up chapping her door quite late at night, reeking of shite. Had white shorts on as well!

Not a fan of the barcode scanners at parkrun either. I was on barcodes last week, and found they don't work too well in bright sunshine as well as being bad in the rain.

I found out this week that I'm probably going to need a hernia op - kind of exlains why the injury just hasn't healed its self by now. Pretty devastating to hear that when I'd convinced myself again that I wasn't too far away, but good to get to the root of it I suppose.

I'm over in Copenhagen this weekend; a bit of international parkrun tourism at Fælledparken, right next to FC Copenhagen's ground where I cruised round, and they had fresh rolls / cheese / jam for afters. Brilliant!

I have done that one as well! Sadly, on a slight alt route that day, but very nice in the shadow of the stadium. No food on offer that day either :(

Really enjoyed the Clydebank 10k last week (didn't see you Bishy - I'm guessing you were that tiny dot in the far distance!). Nice course, partly along the canal and with only a couple of bottlenecks. It's pretty much flat and has a great downhill sprint finish bit. Got round in 48 minutes which was a PB by a country mile. Tempted to try the one in Dumbarton at the end of the month. 

Really enjoyed the Clydebank 10k last week (didn't see you Bishy - I'm guessing you were that tiny dot in the far distance!). Nice course, partly along the canal and with only a couple of bottlenecks. It's pretty much flat and has a great downhill sprint finish bit. Got round in 48 minutes which was a PB by a country mile. Tempted to try the one in Dumbarton at the end of the month.

Well done on the pb. Entries for Dumbarton close tonight I think - so better get a move on if you want to do it! I am going to give it a miss I think - don't want to dampen my enthusiasm following a great performance last week!

Successfully navigated the Clydebank 10k last week without the need for a toilet stop! Was aiming for sub 42mins, but after being 20.10 for the first 5k and still feeling OK, I dug in for the second half and finished in 40.18. A much faster time than I thought I was capable of. Looks like it was a great night for PBs, so well done all!

Also, going by the 5k to 10k estimate of multiplying by 2.1, my 10k time told me my 5k should be a bit quicker. So I went full out at Greenock parkrun on Saturday morning and managed 19.05, with a good bit of wind hurting. 28 seconds off my previous time :)

Going to do a ten miler tonight or tomorrow and that'll be me for the Edinburgh half.  I haven't been able to train as much as I'd have liked so I'm just going to enjoy it and not worry about times.

Looked at my couch to 5k with dread at the 20mins continuous jog. But I did it! 2-3k was my quickest as I was half way through and I'd been slower to start as wanted make sure I got through it. I'll probably follow 1 more week of the plan and then go off myself.

Did the same last time I used it. Getting there slowly

Looked at my couch to 5k with dread at the 20mins continuous jog. But I did it! 2-3k was my quickest as I was half way through and I'd been slower to start as wanted make sure I got through it. I'll probably follow 1 more week of the plan and then go off myself.

Did the same last time I used it. Getting there slowly

Well done!

Successfully navigated the Clydebank 10k last week without the need for a toilet stop! Was aiming for sub 42mins, but after being 20.10 for the first 5k and still feeling OK, I dug in for the second half and finished in 40.18. A much faster time than I thought I was capable of. Looks like it was a great night for PBs, so well done all!

Also, going by the 5k to 10k estimate of multiplying by 2.1, my 10k time told me my 5k should be a bit quicker. So I went full out at Greenock parkrun on Saturday morning and managed 19.05, with a good bit of wind hurting. 28 seconds off my previous time :)

Well done Mr H. I did Greenock as well (quite a bit slower, but given the wind, quite pleased). My 2nd fasted ever time there, in about 20 appearances.