P&b Running Club

Best part of the run was that older couple who'd big speakers outside their house with music blaring about 7 miles in. Proclaimers playing as o passed.

I got treated to Pink's "So What" as I passed, made me run a bit faster right enough!!

Here's a question. With optimum training, what's the best 5k time a normal Joe could hope to achieve? Obviously, under 13 minutes is a world record, under 15 minutes is pretty much unheard of - then you've got people like Bishyton under 18 minutes. Is that solely through committed training, or do you need to have innate ability as well?

Or to put it another way, with all the training resources and regime, commitment and ideal conditions, what is the best time for 5k / 10k / half marathon that a normal chap could achieve?

Good question. To which I don't think there is a real answer to be honest. It varies for individual to individual based on the level of ability that they have. Everyone has a maximum they can achieve and that can vary quite dramatically from person to person.

Obviously I must have a small amount of talent as most people can't achieve the times I do. But I think the majority of my performance is down to training hard. Between running, core work and spin I have been average well over an hour a day recently and it shows in the performances. That is hard training as well, not easy running.

I actually think one of the most important facets is how quickly you recover from your harder runs as that dictates how hard you can actually train. Having a good core really helps with that in my experience.

I think with an endurance sport like running the mental side is a huge factor in performance as well. There are times when it's going to hurt but you'll just have to find a way to keep your legs moving and power on through.

Looking for a wee bit of advice on trainers. Anybody use Saucony? I know they are very popular but i've always used Adidas (Supernova Sequence) so i'm slightly wary of changing brand. I generally buy through the Sports Shoes website and they have some cracking deals on but nothing on my trusty Adidas (or anywhere else online for that matter). Kind of trying to decide whether to change up or spend a bit extra and go with what I know.

I think with an endurance sport like running the mental side is a huge factor in performance as well. There are times when it's going to hurt but you'll just have to find a way to keep your legs moving and power on through.

Looking for a wee bit of advice on trainers. Anybody use Saucony? I know they are very popular but i've always used Adidas (Supernova Sequence) so i'm slightly wary of changing brand. I generally buy through the Sports Shoes website and they have some cracking deals on but nothing on my trusty Adidas (or anywhere else online for that matter). Kind of trying to decide whether to change up or spend a bit extra and go with what I know.

Totally agree mental factor is huge.

I use Saucony guide 7 as I over pronate. Love them. Third pair now would recommend them.

Here's a question. With optimum training, what's the best 5k time a normal Joe could hope to achieve? Obviously, under 13 minutes is a world record, under 15 minutes is pretty much unheard of - then you've got people like Bishyton under 18 minutes. Is that solely through committed training, or do you need to have innate ability as well? 

Or to put it another way, with all the training resources and regime, commitment and ideal conditions, what is the best time for 5k / 10k / half marathon that a normal chap could achieve?

When I used to run pretty seriously, I started off as a 14-stone fella who could barely run 100m. Within a couple of years I was running 21-minute 5Ks and sub-45 10Ks. I've no doubt I could have kept going had life not gotten in the way.

Interesting question on what kind of time is possible - it's a discussion I was having at work last week as well. Everyone will have their own limit, but I'd say that most folk won't ever get close to that.

Could I get below 18 for a 5k with good and consistent training? I'm pretty sure I could. Sub-17? Maybe, but it's a long way off. Sub-16? No chance. With a lot of work, I might be able to get near 80 mins for a half, but I'm never going to be under 70. My work colleague was trying to tell me that I was looking at it the wrong way and that I shouldn't be constrained by arbitrary limits - he has a point, but the times I say might be achievable are still miles away, so I hardly think I'm being negative by being aware of my probable limits.

Cheers for the responses folks. The reason I asked was that I was wondering what time could I realistically expect to achieve if I trained properly (i.e. interval training and the like), and didn't eat shite food or drink booze. I managed to do a 23 minute parkrun at the weekend which I'm quite chuffed about since I don't really train that hard or stick to a good diet. Given that I'm approaching 40 and of average height and build (arms and legs like pipe-cleaners but that's offset by a bit of a beer-baby), I'm wondering if I could ever crack the 20 minute mark - and if I did - how much effort it would take!

Some people are clearly built to be long distance runners, physically, and they have an inbuilt advantage.  Then you have to have the dedication to training and mental strength to put in the hours and stick to the diets etc to achieve your very best.  Then you have to be lucky in terms of injuries.

I think you'd get pretty close in 6 - 12 months if you were dedicated to it, Cardinal, based on what you've just said. Hard one to judge, though. What you wouldn't want is for the goal to stop you actually enjoy your running; motivation and obsession are slightly different!

Would a vegan diet by conducive to improving your running?  Not sure you'd get the nutrients you require.

Having said that David Haye is vegan and he has bulked up massively.  Also, someone (can't remember who) rode the Tour de France on an almost vegan diet (he had a can of salmon every day as a cheat) so you can do it.

Seems a helluva lot of work though.

Would a vegan diet by conducive to improving your running?  Not sure you'd get the nutrients you require.

Having said that David Haye is vegan and he has bulked up massively.  Also, someone (can't remember who) rode the Tour de France on an almost vegan diet (he had a can of salmon every day as a cheat) so you can do it.

Seems a helluva lot of work though.

I've got a book (cannae mind who it's by) by some chap who runs ultramarathons - sometimes more than 100 miles a day (f**k that btw!). He says that he couldn't do it without being vegan. 

Quite an interesting read, although every chapter is interspersed with vegan recipes - which isn't quite so riveting. 

Got round the marathon course in 3:39:51.

I was unsure of my target time going into the race but thought I could have got round in under 3 and a half and was well inside that pace at the turn around 18 miles when I started to slow. By mile 21 I was really struggling and had to do the death shuffle for the final 5 miles as it really started to heat up.

I probably went out too fast, but that's a lesson learnt. At least I have the benchmark now for the next one and I'm happy enough with the time.

Looks like you had a pretty similar experience to my first, but you kept the wheels on for a few miles more than me!

That's a solid effort. How are the legs?