P&b Running Club

I'm going to do parkrun for the first time in nearly 2 years tomorrow. Aiming for sub 27 (last time I did it my time was 31:09), and to get to sub 25 over the next few months.

Which parkrun are you doing? I did the one at Camperdown in Dundee for the first time three weeks ago and am going again today. You forget how hard running outside is compared to treadmills

Which parkrun are you doing? I did the one at Camperdown in Dundee for the first time three weeks ago and am going again today. You forget how hard running outside is compared to treadmills

I'll be doing the Perth one. It's quite a flat course, which I believe Camperdown isn't.

My mates are looking to run a half marathon next year, the longest I have ever done for a timed event or in a one shot is 5k (22mins). Wasn't really going hard I didn't think, doing the same one again in a few weeks.

Going to sign up for a 10k later in the year, what's the best way to up distance and speed? I am pretty confident I could do the distance as is, but well you know...need to beat your mates....

In terms of distance, increase it gradually - the general rule of thumb is to increase by around 10% a week for your longest run. For speed, the key is to do shorter distances harder, probably as some interval training. That combined should do the job nicely.

Black Rock race for me last night, first time I've done it in seven years and well worth going back to. Fastest time I've done there by a considerable distance with a chip time of 29:04 and the beer at the end more than makes up for the bit of a mess at the start.

Now off for a slow jog at Portobello parkrun.

I did the black rock yesterday, first time I've ever done it and I really enjoyed it. I clearly couldn't match true rover but came in with a respectable 29.23. Excellent event, if a wee bit congested at the start. I'll definitely do it again but will train it next time in so I can have a proper drink afterwards.

Can anyone explain what the 5 in the name blackrock5 relates to though because it can't be any recognisable measure of distance?

I'm going to do parkrun for the first time in nearly 2 years tomorrow. Aiming for sub 27 (last time I did it my time was 31:09), and to get to sub 25 over the next few months.

Awaiting my official time, but watch says I went below 26, so a full minute quicker than what I was aiming for. Delighted with that as a starting point.

Watch measures the course slightly short though, so didn't get the 5k pb on strava :(

Redhead informed me about the inaugural Drumchapel parkrun today. I will never ever complain about the gentle undulation at Tollcross again! This was properly brutal. 3 laps with 2 massive hills. And you can't really recover on the downward parts because you're running on gravel and it's so steep and twisty. It's also incredibly narrow - you've only really got room for 2 people abreast. Someone also spat in my girlfriend's face (accidentally I hope!). 

I defy anyone to beat their 5k PB on that course! I was a full 5 minutes slower than the flat run I did last week. 

Still, they were a very friendly bunch. Interesting to see a couple of polis standing on the course taking notes. 

Redhead informed me about the inaugural Drumchapel parkrun today. I will never ever complain about the gentle undulation at Tollcross again! This was properly brutal. 3 laps with 2 massive hills. And you can't really recover on the downward parts because you're running on gravel and it's so steep and twisty. It's also incredibly narrow - you've only really got room for 2 people abreast. Someone also spat in my girlfriend's face (accidentally I hope!).

I defy anyone to beat their 5k PB on that course! I was a full 5 minutes slower than the flat run I did last week.

Still, they were a very friendly bunch. Interesting to see a couple of polis standing on the course taking notes.

Was there a decent turnout for the first one? That's good you guys made it along (im sure the spitting was accidental!) it sounds a tough course, I'll maybe "Tollcross it" a few times in preparation :)

My mates are looking to run a half marathon next year, the longest I have ever done for a timed event or in a one shot is 5k (22mins). Wasn't really going hard I didn't think, doing the same one again in a few weeks.

Going to sign up for a 10k later in the year, what's the best way to up distance and speed? I am pretty confident I could do the distance as is, but well you know...need to beat your mates....

Interval training, it's boring as f**k but brings times down. I do ten x one minute reps at 5k pace with 75 seconds rest in between.

Also incorporate as many big hills as you can into your standard runs, makes flat running easier and quicker.

Increase distance gradually

What a morning/afternoon at Tollcross parkrun! First I run a blinding race to take the win and a new course pb by 10 secs (including a bit of a Sergei Bubka-eque slow down in the last 20m for next time lol).

Then I get the chance to run just under 15km with the real winner of the day, core team member Stuart! The man is a legend - 25 laps (circa 50k) of the famous Tollcross hills in under 6 hours. And, more importantly, he has raised around £2,500 for charity.

Afterwards burgers and beers were had at WEST brewery. A top day with a great crew. It is definitely the best parkrun community I have been a part of.

What a morning/afternoon at Tollcross parkrun! First I run a blinding race to take the win and a new course pb by 10 secs (including a bit of a Sergei Bubka-eque slow down in the last 20m for next time lol).

Then I get the chance to run just under 15km with the real winner of the day, core team member Stuart! The man is a legend - 25 laps (circa 50k) of the famous Tollcross hills in under 6 hours. And, more importantly, he has raised around £2,500 for charity.

Afterwards burgers and beers were had at WEST brewery. A top day with a great crew. It is definitely the best parkrun community I have been a part of.

Sounds like you have had a cracking day!!!

Went round Camperdown in 22.24 today so happy with that. Thinking about doing the St Andrews run in a few weeks. Anyone know what the course is like?

St Andrews is quite good, popular, friendly and pretty well organised. The course is a mixture of Tarmac and gravel with a gradual incline rather than a hill. I've only ever done St Andrews and Kirkcaldy and St Andrews is probably the easier of the two to do a fast time, if this helps?

Was there a decent turnout for the first one? That's good you guys made it along (im sure the spitting was accidental!) it sounds a tough course, I'll maybe "Tollcross it" a few times in preparation :)

Nearly 100 I think. But I think the numbers will drop off ... it's quite isolated and not well suited for hundreds of runners. If 500 people had showed up, you'd be waiting at least 5 minutes to go if you started from the back. 

Congrats on the course record, Bishy, you must be cheesing!  Have heard good things about the Tollcross crew, though this is admittedly from a guy who ran one of the Copenhagen parkruns in his 'TX' t-shirt a fortnight ago so he might be a little biased.  A great day for that lot!

Not such a remarkable weekend for me - a windy Edinburgh parkrun completed this morning and a half marathon distance run where I felt intermittently okay or awful.  Just a fortnight now until the Midnight Sun Marathon and the daft number of flights I need to get to Tromso!

Good effort at Camperdown, FDM.  I've done it once and that hill is ruddy awful.  Not been to St Andrew yet, but hoping to this summer at some stage.

Anyone on here do much trail running (if that's the right name for it)? Folk at the running club down here are big into it, going into the woods and countryside (especially the Lake District as it isn't that far away). Sounds nice in theory but between the hills and different equipment needed I can't be bothered.

Yeah I do quite a bit. I'm a bit slower off road, but I am working harder than road running and I imagine it's better for your joints! The only different equipment you need is trainers, but to be honest, that's only if it's pretty muddy and/or particularly rocky. You'd just use your road shoes for a wee run on the trails in the woods if it's been dry. I love it.

Manged to run marathon 284 of Ben Smith's 401 challenge on Friday - was gutted to find he's had to take a few days off after getting a less-than-stellar diagnosis at ARI the following morning. Seemed in good spirits, and was a lovely guy and hope he can pick it back up ASAP.

I am the Greenock Parkrunner of the month for May. Very proud.

Well done :)

Installed Strava as I've got a new phone and joined the P&B Running Club on it. It seems to only record the time you're moving, disregarding when I stop to cross the road etc. Is there any way to change that? Setting at as a race seems to be a workaround but it seems a bit silly - ultimately elapsed time is what matters as if you stop it does benefit you.