P&b Running Club

Manged to run marathon 284 of Ben Smith's 401 challenge on Friday - was gutted to find he's had to take a few days off after getting a less-than-stellar diagnosis at ARI the following morning. Seemed in good spirits, and was a lovely guy and hope he can pick it back up ASAP.

We're gutted. He was coming here on Wednesday :(

I'm looking forward to taking part in my first ever run on Sunday at the Glasgow 10k. Not really sure what time to aim for as I can do 10k fairly comfortably on the treadmill setting it at 40mins but outside is a different ball game.

Last week was a busy running week for me.

On Tuesday, I had the Chisholm Mile at the Greenock Esplanade. Conditions were not as cool and favourable as last year, indeed it was roasting hot with not a breath of breeze. The lack of wind is a disadvantage as the race is always run with the wind at your back. It was predictably a hellish run and I finished in 25th (I think) in 5'04". That is two seconds slower than last year, but entirely down to the conditions as I am definitely faster now than I was then.

On Saturday, I went down to Greenock parkrun. My return to the Esplanade following Tuesdays exploits was far more satisfying. Nice, cool conditions, albeit with a fairly strong wind for half the distance. I ran a good race here and, despite the wind, managed to finish in 5th place in 17'38' - a new 5k pb by 3 secs. Sub 17'30" is on there on a flat calm day I think. Suffice to say though I was happy with my first 5k pb in nearly two years.

Finally, I had the Bishopton 10k fun run. I won this at an absolute canter last year, but the change in time from Wednesday evening to Sunday afternoon resulted in a far better field.

I intended to just use this as a training run following the prior days efforts, but ended up getting dragged into a race for the win with a Greenock Glenpark Harrier. He ended up edging it in the end winning in 37'08 to my 37'14. Still delighted with that given my legs were still heavy from Saturday and the hilliness of the course.

Anyone combine strength training with running?

I was doing stronglifts 5x5 last year but stopped as I had the Inverness half and then the Edinburgh half to train for.  I'd like to do a bit more strength work but think three 5x5 workouts a week along with running is a bit much.

I make sure I'm in the gym at least once a week, but I normally go for classes. Current favourite is a gym floor circuit but I've spent plenty time at body pump classes.

They both tend to aim for a bit of strength without bulking up so are good for the distance running in my opinion - I just have to make my peace with being in a majority female class for all of these!

Anyone combine strength training with running?

I was doing stronglifts 5x5 last year but stopped as I had the Inverness half and then the Edinburgh half to train for.  I'd like to do a bit more strength work but think three 5x5 workouts a week along with running is a bit much.

I used to do Stronglifts as well but only two sessions a week. I used to do two sessions at the same weight instead of ramping it up each session.

I'm just back from my first 10K in ages. 55:26, a far cry from my olden-days PB of 44 minutes.

Would have been about 52 minutes if I hadn't shat myself on the way, though.

53:45 tonight, and no shitting incidents.

Anyone on here do much trail running (if that's the right name for it)? Folk at the running club down here are big into it, going into the woods and countryside (especially the Lake District as it isn't that far away). Sounds nice in theory but between the hills and different equipment needed I can't be bothered.

I did the Tiree ultra marathon last year. Mixture of road, beach and moorland. Thoroughly recommend it, a genuine privilege to be there. Someone put a wee video here...

https://vimeo.com/139011986

Started my marathon training in earnest on Monday with a 10 miler round Pollok Park. Went fine, except for 2 large blisters - same position on each foot. Part of this I can put down to the fact that I was coming from work and was wearing socks not suited to running. But I did a half marathon last month and ended up with blisters in the same place so I'm guessing it's the shoes + the custom insoles. 

My question is .. to prevent this happening, am I best putting a plaster over the likely affected area before heading out for a run? Or anyone got any old-wives tales for preventing this problem?

Started my marathon training in earnest on Monday with a 10 miler round Pollok Park. Went fine, except for 2 large blisters - same position on each foot. Part of this I can put down to the fact that I was coming from work and was wearing socks not suited to running. But I did a half marathon last month and ended up with blisters in the same place so I'm guessing it's the shoes + the custom insoles. 

My question is .. to prevent this happening, am I best putting a plaster over the likely affected area before heading out for a run? Or anyone got any old-wives tales for preventing this problem?

I got horrific blood blisters after a ten mile training run a couple of weeks before the Edinburgh half.  I burst then, lathered them in Savlon to avoid infection and put compede plasters on and they healed quickly and I didn't get any real blisters on the half marathon.

I get them just under the ball of my foot, towards my instep.  I'm kind of used to them and the skin has hardened there.  I also have two black toenails - my second toe is longer than my big toe so jars on the front o fthe shoe, leading to them blackening.  The nail on one of my second toes fell off a month or so ago, it wasn't painful at all.

I got horrific blood blisters after a ten mile training run a couple of weeks before the Edinburgh half.  I burst then, lathered them in Savlon to avoid infection and put compede plasters on and they healed quickly and I didn't get any real blisters on the half marathon.

I get them just under the ball of my foot, towards my instep.  I'm kind of used to them and the skin has hardened there.  I also have two black toenails - my second toe is longer than my big toe so jars on the front o fthe shoe, leading to them blackening.  The nail on one of my second toes fell off a month or so ago, it wasn't painful at all.

Christ Chris, I thought I had it tough! I get the blisters in the same place, so hopefully as I do more long runs, my feet will "man up". 

Was on pnb looking for a running page didnt think there was one ..

Am doing the 10k in glasgow on sunday . Hoping to get a decent time but only ran twice since a did my marathon.

Only started running at 2014 did the glasgow half marathon got 1:49

Booked up for the edinburgh marathon in 2015 trained well up to april then just lot the motivation and hardly trained which in the end a got a time a 4:54 then didn't do any running at all rest of the year

But booked up the edinburgh again to make a better effort for myself trained better still terrible diet tho but got my marathon under 4 hour got 3:57 now need to try keep up my running coz a think with better training some gym work as well a will beat my pb

The diet is the bit I can't be bothered with. I run so I can eat what I want. Given I do circa 60k per week, I can justify that and do lol.

Anyway, another race on Tuesday night, the third in four days with the Recovery Runners 5k. This is part of a series of races a 3k, 5k and 10k.

Long time readers will recall that I placed third in the 3k at Hogganfield Loch in March in 9'58" (although it was definitely around 50-100m short).

There is a series title that I have my eyes on, so needed a decent result to keep me in the running.

The 5k was at Springburn Park and used the old (harder) Springburn parkrun course. My best for the old circuit was 18'11" iirc and was the site of my first ever win (at a parkrun in mid 2014).

I was feeling pretty crap (still am tbh) and have a bit of a cough. With that in mind the aim was merely to get a good place, rather than a particular time.

Anyway, we set off on the downhill start and I took the lead from a nutter who went off like Usain Bolt after about 150-200m. From there I just ran at a consistent pace all the way, led the rest of the way and took the win by around 20 secs in 18'09". Very pleased with the performance in the circumstances.

That result earned me a trophy and also put me in pole position for the series prize. The first two at the 3k were not present tonight and the fourth place runner there was third tonight, so it is looking good.

Anyway, next race in the Men's 10k on Sunday - hopefully I am fully over this cold by then and I will be ready to push for a pb.

Edited by BishyTON

A need to be more consistent with my running but find it hard to run after working 12 hour shifts .. But a was thinking of getting up for work earlier and trying 3 mile runs in the morning before work each morning ..

What time are u hoping for in the 10k on sunday