P&b Running Club

The "hill" you took on at 11.5 would be the Menstrie Brae leading up to Tullibody.

It really is a bawbreaker if your not fit. I done the Alloa 1/2 when I was 18 and 21 (now 33) and its a great route. Very scenic.

1:24 is a very impressive time by the way!

The "hill" you took on at 11.5 would be the Menstrie Brae leading up to Tullibody.

It really is a bawbreaker if your not fit. I done the Alloa 1/2 when I was 18 and 21 (now 33) and its a great route. Very scenic.

1:24 is a very impressive time by the way!

Bawbreaker indeed!

I still managed to do that mile in 6.28 however then follow it up with 6.16 in the 13th mile.

I'd built up a wee bank of time at the start but it was gradually eroded running into the wind for most of the race and really needed to do the last two miles quickly to get under 1.25!

I still managed to do that mile in 6.28 however then follow it up with 6.16 in the 13th mile.

How do you know what each mile was done in?

I can't be bothered reading the whole thread but I take it there is some wee devicey thing you can buy that can tell how far you have gone, or are there mile markers on the course?

I can't be bothered reading the whole thread but I take it there is some wee devicey thing you can buy that can tell how far you have gone, or are there mile markers on the course?

Generally, they'll have mile and/or km markers on the course.

Generally, they'll have mile and/or km markers on the course.

Most serious (and even semi-serious) runners will have a device such as Nike+ or a Garmin running watch which can store information about their runs.

A lot of the Garmins are GPS based so after your run you download the data to your pc or laptop and then you can see in great detail all of the data in pretty graphs. It can get a bit geeky and you can over-analyse the data but I find most of the data to be quite useful.

Great runs today guys. I was out on hills for 16 miles which one ice bath later feels fine on my legs. Unfortunately, my bleeding left nipple is still stinging like a bastard.

Good runs, Watty and Cap!

Impressive stuff.

Thundermonkey.... :)

...I'm sure enough days have elapsed for the scab now formed on your bloody nipple to be catching on your shirts, jerseys, t-shirts... whatever you wear - oo-yah! I always find that's the WORST part of nipple chafing! Enjoy! :lol:

(It's not even a nice scab to pick at...)

It's our 15 mile xc race on Saturday - a Classic since 1954 - probably 200-300 runners doing every hill in Epping Forest and the mud currently is horrendous... There Will Be Blood...

I'll merely be sweeping the final six miles after some trail laying and early marshalling. A long day followed by a cold shower cos all the hot water's used up by the time the last runner finishes. (We've even got a cut-off at 9 miles for too-slow runners)

Still... home, after a couple of deserved pints, to see the scores and know Saints are safe for another season of expansion and probable world-domination. :)

Edited by chingford

There are mile markers. However, you'd need to have a great memory and be able to do some mental arthmetic whilst running a race to get indivual mile splits! :lol:

As has been mentioned, I've got a Garmin GPS watch. It tells me how far I've ran and quickly I've ran it. Its great for pacing in a race and its also great for training. At the end of the race I can see exactly what I did each mile in.

My splits at Alloa were:

1. 6.10

2. 6.21

3. 6.23

4. 6.35

5. 6.44

6. 6.19

7. 6.31

8. 6.33

9. 6.39

10. 6.35

11. 6.39

12. 6.28

13. 6.16

And my pace in the last 0.1 mile section was 5.07 (sprint finish!)

You can see that the start was quite fast as it had a decline as was mile 6. Mile 12 was the hardest due to the hill but as it was near the end of the race and I needed to do it quickly to meet my target, it was quite quick.

just got started, really out of shape.

So far i managed 2 2mile runs, I don't think I'm up to any challenges yet, but hopefully will be soon.

My first training run, just over 4 years ago, was over 2 miles. I walked half of it and at the end I thought I was dying of an asthma attack.............. :lol:

There are mile markers. However, you'd need to have a great memory and be able to do some mental arthmetic whilst running a race to get indivual mile splits

Back in the day before GPS, watches were still capable of storing split times :D

For the last week I've been doing between 6-8km a night in the gym on a mixture of treadmill and cross trainer. I know it's nothing like proper outdoor running, but hopefully by the end of the summer i'll be able to do a proper outdoor 10km race.

For the last week I've been doing between 6-8km a night in the gym on a mixture of treadmill and cross trainer. I know it's nothing like proper outdoor running, but hopefully by the end of the summer i'll be able to do a proper outdoor 10km race.

If you set the treadmill to a gradient 2 or above it will give you a better feel for road running

If you set the treadmill to a gradient 2 or above it will give you a better feel for road running

Not all of the distance I cover is running, it tends to be a mixture of running at 10km/h with no gradient, or walking at 6km/h with gradient 10.

Also a half hour blast on the cross trainer at resistance level 14.

In a month or so I should really start seeing the results.

Edited by Fudge

Not all of the distance I cover is running, it tends to be a mixture of running at 10km/h with no gradient, or walking at 6km/h with gradient 10.

Also a half hour blast on the cross trainer at resistance level 14.

In a month or so I should really start seeing the results.

Fair enough

My first training run, just over 4 years ago, was over 2 miles. I walked half of it and at the end I thought I was dying of an asthma attack.............. :lol:

Thats pretty much how my 2 runs have gone so far.

what kind of distances and times are you getting now. my best mile out of the 4 I've done was 10 mins, not too great!

what kind of distances and times are you getting now. my best mile out of the 4 I've done was 10 mins, not too great!

I wouldn't worry yourself about times at this stage. Although training can really help we are all predisposed to run at different paces. The only time I look to beat is the quickest one I set myself previously.

As Thundermonkey says, don't worry about times.

I'm 38 now and just ran the Alloa Half Marathon on Sunday in just under 1 hour 25 mins (average pace of 6.28 minutes per mile). My easy training pace is 7.45 minutes per mile. I ran a 2.25 mile race with some mates on the Thursday before Alloa and my average pace was 5.35 minutes per mile..... and I only came 4th out of 9!

I ran two 10ks last year in under 40 mins and they were a struggle. I ran the first 10k of the Alloa Half Marathon on Sunday in under 10k and it felt comfortable (relatively speaking!) Progress can be rapid.

Targets this year are to run the Edinburgh Marathon in around 2.55 and run a 10k in under 38 mins.

If I can do it, anyone can!

I do time in the gym on treadmills also - and setting up wee fartlek (speed) sessions is a great help - but there's nothing in the gym can compare to pounding your legs feet and joints along the roads and pavements in preparation for doing a real race.

The wind, rain, hailstanes can also be a refreshing and daunting difference from gym world. Try for the best of both indoor and out. Mix it up!

But mainly just enjoy yourself - don't bother with times and targets until you get used to having running as part of the routine in your life.

Edited by chingford

Cap, what nutrition do you take on during your longer runs? Bit worried about lack of salt, i currently take energy drink and carb gels, but at end of NY marathon i was near to passing out which i eventually put down to lack of salt/sodium.

My itunes is showing the workout I have just done and says it has sent it to my nike+ account.

When I check my nike+ todays run is not there.

Where do you think I am going wrong?

Edit : It has appeared now. I take it there is a bit of a delay just so it can load it up?

Edited by orlandoblue