P&b Running Club

Don't call it a comeback!

Actually, call it a comeback. Was out for a horrible, painful 2 mile run last night. I haven't ran for over a year.

That'll be me soon. It's almost a year since I was last out for a proper run. Knee still gives me gyp from time to time and no one can tell me what's wrong. I keep meaning to start cycling/swimming to try to build up my leg strength.

Went out for a varied pace jog on monday, and played 5-a-side yesterday, will take a break today and play 5-a-side again tomorrrow.

Should be enough to get me back into the rhythm of things.

After I went on holiday with my friends, I've done next to no exercise at all and haven't really been watching what I eat, a shame really because I was getting a few comments on how I had been looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran 6 mile X-country race last weekend. As it pissed down the night before the ground was very heavy. The wind was gusty, so with the under-foot conditions made for a tiring race. I ran in 48 mins 50 secs.

This past weekend I ran another X-country race. This time there was better conditions, but the ground got cut up quickly and some parts were dificult to run on as they were muddy. The total distance was just under 6 miles and I ran 47 mins 26 secs.

Got a 2 day course this weekend on the first step to became a coach.

Started a new regime last week with the aim of being able to run regular solo 10k excursions in under 45 minutes, which should hopefully let me shave a few minutes off of my 44:31 best time in Grangemouth in March.

Going well so far. Pace is regularly under 4:50. Hopefully I can stay injury-free.

I'm really enjoying the Jog Scotland group. I'm moving up into the next level tomorrow - I'm finding the pace too slow in the group I'm in at the moment but am a little worried the next group up will be too fast... suppose I'll find out tomorrow!

I've not. My long standing knee problems has reared it's head again. Too much too soon and I know it. Rest and a gentle build up will be required...again.

I'd chuck running and take up something that doesn't impact your knees as much. You'll end up with replacement knee joints if you push against what your body is telling you.

I'd chuck running and take up something that doesn't impact your knees as much. You'll end up with replacement knee joints if you push against what your body is telling you.

I had problems in 2005 with the knee but after building up the strength in it comfortably trained for and completed a marathon in 2008 (with a PB). My only problem is I've done pretty much f**k all exercise since and pushed myself into it far too quickly again this time.

My knee is the first place to tell me I've bitten off more than I can chew.

I had problems in 2005 with the knee but after building up the strength in it comfortably trained for and completed a marathon in 2008 (with a PB). My only problem is I've done pretty much f**k all exercise since and pushed myself into it far too quickly again this time.

My knee is the first place to tell me I've bitten off more than I can chew.

Yeah I wasn't having a go at you. Running is good fr you as long as you're not overdoing it. A lot of folk run through pain especially if they are training for a race they have their heart set on doing. That can cause a lot of problems. If it's sore to run stop running until the pain is gone completely. There's plenty of other stuff you can do to keep yourself in good nick fitness wise.

How was it, footiechick?

I moved up into the intermediate group at our Jog Scotland group tonight and it was MUCH better. :D We did 7.2km (although the woman with the Garmin watch said 7.4 - I did forget to set my iPod at one point) at a pace averaging 5mins 50secs per km, which I really enjoyed. :) Did a couple of sprint training exercises as well as the distance stuff. Got details of a 5k on 5th of December so that'll be my first race since joining the Jog Scotland group - will be interesting to see how much I've improved.

How was it, footiechick?

I moved up into the intermediate group at our Jog Scotland group tonight and it was MUCH better. :D We did 7.2km (although the woman with the Garmin watch said 7.4 - I did forget to set my iPod at one point) at a pace averaging 5mins 50secs per km, which I really enjoyed. :) Did a couple of sprint training exercises as well as the distance stuff. Got details of a 5k on 5th of December so that'll be my first race since joining the Jog Scotland group - will be interesting to see how much I've improved.

It was fine. Was a bit worried but the knees didn't hurt at all :) Lost some fitness though, was knackered, it's amazing after only 4 weeks off and I've still been swimming and walking loads.

Anyway, back for good :D Fingers crossed!

Yeah I wasn't having a go at you. Running is good fr you as long as you're not overdoing it. A lot of folk run through pain especially if they are training for a race they have their heart set on doing. That can cause a lot of problems. If it's sore to run stop running until the pain is gone completely. There's plenty of other stuff you can do to keep yourself in good nick fitness wise.

Tis cool, didn't think you were. Running through the pain is key as you say - don't do it.

Pain is there for a reason. Anyway, I think I've got to the bottom of the issue. I have new boots for work and they are rubbing a bit (new leather). I have be compensating for my sore ankles by walking funny and when I go out for a run at night the strain on my knee was too much. No knee pain after switching to an old pair of shoes. I'll lay off the running until I've broken in my boots.

I've taken to leaving some clothes in work again and running just over 5k as part of my journey home. I'm doing the run in 24 minutes, delighted with that! The ultimate aim is to plan a run where I run all the way to, or from, work...which is roughly 13 miles. Will work my way up to that one...

Yes coach! :)

I went for a run this afternoon with some of the others from the Jog Scotland group and we ended up doing just over 11km on a hilly route. Was a great run - right up into the hills behind Buckie - fantastic views over the Moray Firth and over to Morven and the Black Isle. Fantastic stuff. :)