P&b Running Club

I hope this isnt the case for calories. Its the only thing I take notice of and it tells me when to stop. 300 calories in 20 minutes does seem too good to be true right enough

It will be the same for calories, treadmills almost always invariably "think" you've run further than you really have, so will "think" you've burned more calories than you have too.

300 calories in 20 minutes sounds a wee bit too high. I burn about 750-800 in an hour according to my iPod. Of course, if you're very heavy you'll burn more.

Edited by Gaz

I did soem Fartlek training on Thursday. It was a 1km circuit broken down into sections where you jog, 60-75%run and go flat out. It's a killer. I recommend this as an alternative to your normal run. I did 3 x 10mins ar this, getting between 3.2 and 3.6 laps round.

Paurlaff - You need partner. You do a circuit. Then your partner does the circuit. You get your recovery time while they run.

On Tuesday I took part in a 1mile race. I timed 6mins 50seconds. I was just under 2 mins behind the winner.

Yesterday I did some 800m laps at the track. Ranging from 3mins 30 down to 3mins 17 secs.

Last track and fields meeting next Saturday. Last chance this season to get under the 15min barrier for the 3000m Steeple Chase.

I don't know if this is just me. But as a rule I generally don't listen to anything anyone tells me about best types of techniques for running, or fitness in general (i.e Weights, eating patterns, etc.)and simply do it my own way. (I'm a bit of a yo-yo type though, go through it in obsessive spurts, but i'm determined to keep it going this time around). I'm motivated enough that when I'm in the gym, I can do a solid hour and 45 mins of pure cardio and not slack off.

I do all of my running on a treadmill, no matter what anyone says about the advantages or disadvantages of it, I just find it a better, more enjoyable run where you can switch off and not worry about those around you. Also for someone with terrible ankles which are prone to twists and ligament tears, it's ideal knowing that I don't have to watch my step in case I stand on a chucky and tear it apart (seriously, it's that easy for me).

My gym routine seems to be at the moment.....

20-25 mins treadmill run (10.5-12.5km/h), on a 1.0% gradient.

30 mins uphill walk (7.0-8.0km/h) on a 15.0% gradient.

20-25 mins on the cross trainer (starting at level 9, stepping up 4 levels every 5 mins, then dropping 3 and repeating 4/5 times so it gets gradually harder)

20-25 mins on stepper (proper escalator treadmill stepper in my gym and it's an absolute killer)

One Nautilus Circuit (15 weight machines, 1 set of 12 reps on each at heaviest I can manage, no rest period gives a full body workout)

10 minutes warm down on bike or rower.

This is my routine 5 days a week (Monday, then Wednesday-Saturday), except the Nautilus, I'm only doing that 3 times a week. I also sometimes cut one or 2 of the exercises out on a Saturday and do a spin class instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran Glasgow to Paris last night.

That's Glasgow ROAD, Camelon to Paris STREET, Grangemouth.

Felt a bit daunted about this as I've only ever ran about 4 miles before. A girl with one of those trendy watches told us it was 5.1 miles at the end. Took me 58 minutes. Was chuffed at the end but knackered!

The knee held out with my support which is good.

I realise this is piss in the park stuff for some, but a milestone for me :D

Well Ran the 400 hurdles in a dieapointing 86 secs and the 3000m Steeplechase in a new PB of 15 mins 7 secs.

Ran 5K in 24mins 27 secs last week. It felt faster, but nevermind.

Anyone doing the Great North Run?

Started winter traiing now. X-country starts in 2 months!

I am currently preparing for my second 10k race (in Paisley on 29/08). Did it in 49.59 last year and hoping to take around 4-5 minutes off that this year. Not done that much 10k training in recent times, but do a timed 5k at Pollok Park (Parkrun) every week and am averaging about 23 mins on what is a fairly undulating course. Taking into account the flat nature of the Paisley course I think 45-46 mins should be possible, but will have to wait and see.

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping for the Falkirk Parkrun to be set up soon so can get reegular timed 5K's.

ON the downside, I have a black toenail which was very tender but has calmed down a wee bit. It's not my big toe but the one next to it, which funnily enough isn't longer than my big toe. Strange. :unsure:

Chiropodist says it will grow out and has given me a wee sleeve thing to put over it, but must be running with kind of clenched toes he says!

I've been back at football training for 2 or 3 weeks now, it's finally starting to get a bit easier after a rather lazy and unhealthy summer.

I'm going to start combining it with a bit more running for general fitness, looking to shift around 6 kgs in the coming months so that should help.

Right, well, did the Moray 10k this morning and finished it, which is really what I was aiming for. I ran it in 1 hour 10 mins-ish (haven't got my official time yet) and I know that is pretty slow, but it was my first ever 10k and I'm just glad to have finished. It was really windy though and I *hate* running in the wind (read: please don't laugh at my time!). So... that's me got the bug back, I think.

Looking for another 10k to do next...

I keep trying to take up running but find myself getting really bored. I leave it for a few weeks then give it another go because I think to myself 'loads of folk do it and quite enjoy it so there must be something I'm missing' but I just can't get into it at all. Any tips?

I hated it before, but I enjoy it now - I guess I value the time I get on my own. I spend my day either working with kids, or running around/tidying up after Cal, so any time I get to myself is very precious. Running is the only way I do get any peace... Plus, I find I enjoy it more the better I get at it.

I can definitely see why people like it. the time to yourself, the challenge of improving, the obvious fitness aspect etc Maybe it just isn't for me.

Seeing as this has sort of doubled as fitness thread, can anyone suggest some good core excercises that don't invovle any/much equipment? just stuff you could do at home. Ta.

I can definitely see why people like it. the time to yourself, the challenge of improving, the obvious fitness aspect etc Maybe it just isn't for me.

Seeing as this has sort of doubled as fitness thread, can anyone suggest some good core excercises that don't invovle any/much equipment? just stuff you could do at home. Ta.

Have you thought about something like Nike+ or some of the training apps you can get on phones nowadays where you can set yourself challenges or run "against" other people. You can log your own runs and try and improve on them or join online challenges to compete against others. It just adds a little motivation if you've got something you can track to see how you're doing or just to try and beat someone else.

I don't know what phone you've got at the moment, but there's apps you can get for all sorts of phones, not just iPhones and iPods, and a lot of them are free.

Right, well, did the Moray 10k this morning and finished it, which is really what I was aiming for. I ran it in 1 hour 10 mins-ish (haven't got my official time yet) and I know that is pretty slow, but it was my first ever 10k and I'm just glad to have finished. It was really windy though and I *hate* running in the wind (read: please don't laugh at my time!). So... that's me got the bug back, I think.

Looking for another 10k to do next...

That's a good time!

MY friend and I are walking 3 miles about twice a week (she's out 6 nights, running when I'm not with her) in about 40mins at the moment. We're holding a steady pace but not pushing too hard, will continue to do so until I'm too fat!

I've thought about getting some of that gear, but it's a bit pricey given I might decide after a week i can't really be bothered continuing with it.

Regardless of what my targets are I'm not sure I can get away from the fact that the repitive action involved in running gets somewhat tedious after 30 minutes or so. I do plenty of other excercise and am fairly fit so if i don't end up taking up running it's not the end of the world, but I will give it one last shot.

I've thought about getting some of that gear, but it's a bit pricey given I might decide after a week i can't really be bothered continuing with it.

Regardless of what my targets are I'm not sure I can get away from the fact that the repitive action involved in running gets somewhat tedious after 30 minutes or so. I do plenty of other excercise and am fairly fit so if i don't end up taking up running it's not the end of the world, but I will give it one last shot.

Come out with me. I'm a bit scared to be out running in the evening on my own and my day time hours are limited and about to become even more so.

As well as the iPod kit for Nike+, there's a sport band you can get that goes around your wrist and a sensor for your shoe and you can still upload your run times to the website. I think it's about £40 for the kit, which isn't exactly buttons, but cheaper than shelling out for the rest of the kit. How good the band is, I've no idea to be honest.

Well done Debs. I was doing that time 12 months ago and I've knocked 20 mins off it. So keep it up.

If you are just starting then you need ot stretch before exercise. Now it has to be "dynamic" strectching. Not stactic, because when you run your muscles don't just move in one direction. You'll look stupid, but it really works!

Walking Lunges, walking with a slightly bet leg with the toe pointing up, swing your leg from side to side, swing your leg back and forth and crose-overs. Also high knees and recovery strides, but I can't explain them on here.

basic body wieght excercises will condition your body better than wieghts. Press-ups, star-jumps, plank, sit ups, sumo walk and squats will be sufficent.

Running. - start off running 5 mins, rest for 5 mins. Repeat 2 more times. Build up your endurance by increasing to 6 mins run with 4 mins rest, 7 mins with 3 mins rest and 8 mins with 2 mins rest. So you are on the go for 30 mns. You need to be putting the effort in and using your rest times.