P&b Running Club

With the half marathon looming I headed out last night and managed 10 miles. It's the furthest I've gone so far in my training. Of late my training has been erratic so I was expecting a hard run but it was fine. Except for the vomiting. At 7.5 miles I ran past the landfill site that has accepted the toxic waste from the Olympic site down in East London. They have it under plastic sheeting at the moment and in the heat it's rancid smelling.

A combination of exhaustion, heat and that smell had me heaving at the roadside. Hello pre-run snack and then a couple of minutes later, Hello lunch :lol:

It wasn't about a time last night, just about finishing the distance but I'm happy enough with my 87:24. I'm looking to do the Half in 1hr 45 so I feel bang on track.

:lol:

5 k in 22:37 last night on the treadmill. Confident I can go faster as well :)

What are these parkrun things?

My 10K is looming fast and I need a wee bit extra motivation.

Doing 2 and a half miles three times a week before work and about 3-4 miles on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

Can't seem to get past that.

Edited by deky

It's a free weekly timed 5K. You pre-register and then get a barcode which you take along to each event and it gets scanned after the race. There are four in Scotland - one in Edinburgh, two in Glasgow and now Falkirk. It's each Saturday morning although I will miss the next 3 events.

It's a free weekly timed 5K. You pre-register and then get a barcode which you take along to each event and it gets scanned after the race. There are four in Scotland - one in Edinburgh, two in Glasgow and now Falkirk. It's each Saturday morning although I will miss the next 3 events.

There is one in Glasgow (Pollok Park) and one in Lanarkshire at Strathclyde Park.

9.30 start and you need to register once and then just take your barcode along so they know who you are.

It is a pretty good set up and sometimes they give you some homebaked cookies after the run

I did just a couple miles tonight, I've increased my jog sections to 45 secs every 2 mins. Getting there. I've lost about 8lbs in couple of weeks. Only another 3.5 stone to go!

Went out tonight and did a few laps. Met a guy that I know, chatted for a bit and then he said his girlfriend finds the way I run funny! :o

Very happy at the progress I'm making, I'm pretty much certain I'm going to enter a 10k in August (just needing the confirmation that I've got nothing on that Saturday).

Managed 6K round Larkhall on saturday morning.

My furthest yet, but what's with this bloody weather.

What happened to our wet, miserable summer, much better for running in.

Hello.

Started training for the Baxters 10k in October about 3 weeks ago and I've so far trained up to 7.5k in 43 mins. Should manage the full 10 within a couple of weeks I reckon.

And I've lost 9lbs in the process, and what?

I am really starting to worry that I have bitten off more than I can chew with the marathon. Went for a run of Friday night but only managed about 10.5miles because of the heat (I was scheduled for 13). I thought I was going to pass out and I was really dehydrated.

I hate running in warm weather

Did a 7 mile run in 56 mins last Saturday.

Did some 500m-700m runs coaching on Tuesday.

Didn't do much on Thursday. Some strength work with the medicine ball, some co-ordination work and then did a 1K easy run then some hill work.

Took part in the Parkrun on Saturday. Did the 5K in 21:52 I didn;t really push the 3 and 4th K so was realitively happy with that time.

Did a 8 mie run along the coast today. Had a head wind for 3 miles. Put in a massive hill at the halfway point, incline at about 5 miles, not to mention going up the sharp bank about a mile and half from the finish of the Great North Run, back in to the headwind for the final mile and a half. Took me 1 hour 5 mins.

3 weeks till Glasgow run - gulp!

Not worried about the run itself, was wondering if anyone better experienced than myself could give me more general tips for the day?

- changing/showering facilities, logic tells me there will be some?

- storage, if tells me if there's changing, then you have to store your kit somewhere. Or do you just pay some local urchin a couple of quid to 'watch your stuff mister?'

- numbers - it's been near 30 years since I was at an Athletic competition - do you still get a number? Do you still have to take safety pins to attach it onto your vest? (God I feel old)

- How long before start time is it best to be there? how long does pre-race admin/registration take?

- is it etiquette to wear headphones to race? Or is that not allowed/advisable?

- any other tips I haven't even thought would be relevant?

Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

Have been on holiday for a couple of weeks - took my running stuff to Cardiff and ran around the Sophia Gardens along the Taff Trails. Only did 5k as I'd had a fair amount of wine the night before! Have entered the Moray 10k on 4th Sept and have the Baxter's 10k in October, too. Looking forward to them both. Had wanted to go sub 50 mins, but looking very unlikely due to lack of proper training recently.

Final track and field meeting today.

Long Jump - 3.7M Nice safe jump as I had to run off to the 400M hurdles

400 H - 81.8 - a new PB

800 - 2:45 - a new PB

3000 s/c - 14:03

Shot - 7.06M - a new PB

Tripple Jump - 8.9M - a new PB

5000 - 22:13 - a new PB

I'm bloody aching now. legs are in bits. There's a 10K tomorrow that I am not doing.

Now time to focus on the Half Marathon on 17/9/11. Hoping for 1 hour 45.