P&b Running Club

The grass part can be a bit iffy in the wet, but it's a very enjoyable run. And the view over the river to the palace is lovely, if you have the energy to lift your head enough to enjoy it!

Aye, the grass was a bit dewy but it made a nice change to pounding the tarmac. Don't remember seeing the palace - just some vague recollections of fishermen in the river, so you're bang on the money there!

I'd ditch the 22 miler - no point risking the race to get another LSR in. Maybe do a light 10km if you have to run at all? If you've been building the distances until now you'll have good stamina already come race day.

Was a bellend and tried to do the long run. Broke down at 11 miles with a sore hamstring groin and hip due to compensating for the plantar fasciitis. Nightmare scenario!

Was a bellend and tried to do the long run. Broke down at 11 miles with a sore hamstring groin and hip due to compensating for the plantar fasciitis. Nightmare scenario!

That is a gutter mate. If you have strained any of those then you are out for 2 weeks minimum.

Gnr today pleased to finish after Achilles issues. Started off like a house on fire with did first half in 45mins and well on course. Hit massive wall at 8miles and those that have done it know 8-12 is uphill and killer. Hot also. Anyway clocked 1 hour 41 so a bit disappointed but as I say pleased to finish it. Was carnage today loads of what looked liked experienced runners passing out - think it was warmer than they thought. Brilliant experience again though. Rest now.

Nothing upsets me more than a sore fanny :-(

Seriously though you have three weeks. Don't even think about running for a week, let the foot heal. Get some massage and ibropufin gel on it during that time and then do some short (5km or less) jogs and work back up to maybe a 10km before Loch Ness. You can still do the marathon ok, but you'll need to be sensible. Remember your training to this point should have all the stamina you need to go the distance. The injury might mean you have to take it easier than you planned, but you'll have the fight the temptation to run for the next 7-10 days.

Hope you make it.

Edited by Munter

I don't know if anyone has experienced this before, but following a long run yesterday I am getting a clicking just below my middle toe when walking. This has happened before after long runs and normally goes away after a day or two. It can be a slightly painful at times, but not overly so. Does anyone know what this is and how best to treat?

Gnr today pleased to finish after Achilles issues. Started off like a house on fire with did first half in 45mins and well on course. Hit massive wall at 8miles and those that have done it know 8-12 is uphill and killer. Hot also. Anyway clocked 1 hour 41 so a bit disappointed but as I say pleased to finish it. Was carnage today loads of what looked liked experienced runners passing out - think it was warmer than they thought. Brilliant experience again though. Rest now.

Know how you felt! The first 2 miles I was pushing people out the way. I started in B doing sub-7 min miles and still had people in front walking/jogging. Really pissed me off.

I did the GNR in 1:34. Was on for sub 1:30 when the heat started to sap my energy after 8 miles. Did a hill session on Thursday and got a Pentalthon today (200, 800, long jump, discus and javelin).

Know how you felt! The first 2 miles I was pushing people out the way. I started in B doing sub-7 min miles and still had people in front walking/jogging. Really pissed me off.

I did the GNR in 1:34. Was on for sub 1:30 when the heat started to sap my energy after 8 miles. Did a hill session on Thursday and got a Pentalthon today (200, 800, long jump, discus and javelin).

Aye - I was in B too. 1hr 34 my PB and before injury was confident of getting a 1hour 30 but miles away from taht. Haven't done ANY hill or speedwork since achillies injury and that told at mile 8. Think I will do Dunbar 10 mile in a few weeks and Jed half at end of Oct

Went through to the Falkirk Parkrun this morning. Haven't ran for a week due to a foot injury, so was really pleased with 20:30; within a minute of my Edinburgh PB. It's a really fun course, with that one notable hill being a decent test. I'd have been a bit quicker but got held up quite a bit at the start. I'll try and head back through some time after Loch Ness to try topping it.

Is anyone on here that's running Loch Ness planning the Inverness Parkrun on the Saturday?

Greenock Parkrun for me this morning. No official result yet, but finished in 3rd place in around 17 mins 50 secs for a probable new course pb (currently 17'54" ). Pleased with that considering my foot issues this week.

Edited by BishyTON

Did the Falkirk Parkrun this week, my first running of any kind in the last 2 months, so pretty pleased with just under 25mins.

The Strathcarron 10k next Sunday - is it daft to try this after zero preparation? or is it worth giving it a go even if i've got to walk 3k of it?

If you have a decent level of fitness then you don't really have to train much for a 10k. It is too short a distance to require that much stamina. You train for time for distances under 10km and train for time and distance when going over that mark.

Did another half marathon training run yesterday morning in prep for GSR. Did it in 1 hour 26 mins 26 secs. Think that it was much easier this week than last, even though my foot is still not at 100%.

I did consider doing the Kilmacolm half instead, but foot injury put me off! But gutted in hindsight as I think I could have done it in around 1 hour 24 mins or so, as the course I do is pretty undulating.

Are most of the other parkruns on a complete flat?

The Falkirk one has some VERY steep parts to the course including a massive hill which I need to walk part of usually.

My PB is 25.40 but I reckon I need to take in a flat parkrun soon for a true reflection.

Are most of the other parkruns on a complete flat?

The Falkirk one has some VERY steep parts to the course including a massive hill which I need to walk part of usually.

My PB is 25.40 but I reckon I need to take in a flat parkrun soon for a true reflection.

Greenock - Flat apart from a slight uphill section at the top of the Esplanade. You do this slight uphill 3 times.

Victoria - Flat again, but with two short slight uphill sections on each of the three laps.

Strathclyde - Flat apart from two slight uphills over the entire course.

Springburn - Fairly undulating course with one long but not too steep climb on each of the three laps.

Pollok - Undulating course with some moderate uphill sections. The S bend towards the end of each of the two laps is fairly sharp.

Tollcross - Very hilly course. A total of 5 tough climbs and 4 moderate climbs over the course of the 2.5 lap race. By far the toughest Parkrun I have ever done.

Additional - South Manchester Parkrun - Flat course but with some parts that are pseudo cross country in the wet.

I've always wondered about the Park Runs. Are they run on the same courses every week. Cause I know there's one down in Cramond, Edinburgh. Considering I live here and probably run the route quite a bit as it is. I'm tempted to get down and give it a shot. Not that I'd be especially fast, 5km would probably take me about 25 minutes right now.

That said my boss did the course the other week and got just over 20mins so I'm gonna aim to beat him by the end of the year! :lol:

Which I know I can do, I've ran sub 20 before when I was a fair bit fitter, it's just about getting back into it I suppose.