P&b Running Club

I've started back running after a couple of months with a bad back.

I'm going to do a wee local run that raising money for the Trussel Trust food-bank in a couple of weeks, it's four miles not sure about a target time.

I'm also going to run up Arthur's Seat because it looks fun.

Edited by ICTChris

Ran 9.6 miles yesterday - first time I have done that distance since achillies injury way back in March. Delighted at 1hour 10m time. Gearing up nicely towards GNR now. Hoping to beat my 1hour 37m from last year.

Finished 2nd at Tollcross Parkrun on Saturday. Led for the first 4.9km, but lost the sprint finish. Got round in 18 mins 36 secs - 3 secs outside course pb.

Yesterday did a 5km race pace run in 18 mins 35 secs, before heading into Glasgow for 10 mile recovery run with Nike Run Club. The 10 mile run turned into a 15.2 mile one that took just under 2 hours at 7 mins 50 secs per mile pace. Would have been fine had I not already bust a gut on 5k and fell at the 3.75 mile mark of long run and cut up my knee lol!

Had to miss this mornings gym session as I was absolutely shattered when my alarm went off at 5.45am.

I suppose this probably isn't the best opening gambit in a running thread, but I really hate running. Well, I think I do anyway. However, I'd really like to give it a go as a lot of people seem to enjoy it, so I guess it must be Ok!

I do weights a few times a week but struggle to find time to fit in regular cardio. A games of fives every couple of weeks and a hillwalk once a month or so is about it. I reckon jogging /running is a quick and 'easy' way to fit in a bit of cardio several times a week.

I'm just looking for general tips and advice for an absolute novice.

Thanks in advance

I suppose this probably isn't the best opening gambit in a running thread, but I really hate running. Well, I think I do anyway. However, I'd really like to give it a go as a lot of people seem to enjoy it, so I guess it must be Ok!

I do weights a few times a week but struggle to find time to fit in regular cardio. A games of fives every couple of weeks and a hillwalk once a month or so is about it. I reckon jogging /running is a quick and 'easy' way to fit in a bit of cardio several times a week.

I'm just looking for general tips and advice for an absolute novice.

Thanks in advance

From a fellow novice who also hates running, find a running partner. It makes it so much more enjoyable, and a lot easier as well.

First in foremost - don't run until you can walk as the saying goes. Start off with shorter distances, say a couple of km, and jog/run for as long as possible. Take periods of walking if and when required. When you can run that distance start to either up the speed and/or the distance. When you are quite quick over a decent distance, say 5km, then you can start at to think about sprint/hill sessions and races.

To give you an idea it took me about 4 months of training like this to be able to run 10k non-stop.

Thanks. I've mapped out an exact 5km route around my area which is almost flat except for the last 300 metres.

I'd like to be able to jog it non stop by the end of September.

I'll start off by jogging until I'm burst, walk for a bit then rinse and repeat until I'm finished. I've set up a spreadsheet to keep a track of my times so at least there's some sort of competitive edge to it

Thanks. I've mapped out an exact 5km route around my area which is almost flat except for the last 300 metres.

I'd like to be able to jog it non stop by the end of September.

I'll start off by jogging until I'm burst, walk for a bit then rinse and repeat until I'm finished. I've set up a spreadsheet to keep a track of my times so at least there's some sort of competitive edge to it

If keeping stats is your bag, then get a mobile app - Runkeeper, Endomondo, Mapmyrun, something like that. Seeing improvements (even the very small ones) helped me in my early days.

Fudge, can't recommend couch to 5k training enough. Don't jog until you're burst, because ideally you'd be able to repeat 8 times or so. Week one is something like jog 60sec, walk 90 x 8 and builds up from there, with the jogging getting longer and the walking getting shorter.

In my opinion anyway.

Still struggling to motivate myself to get running properly again. Mapped out a 5k route that takes me up into the hills and through the forrest. Scenic, knackering and short enough that even though I can't be f*cked I am still able to push myself to manage it.

Fudge, can't recommend couch to 5k training enough. Don't jog until you're burst, because ideally you'd be able to repeat 8 times or so. Week one is something like jog 60sec, walk 90 x 8 and builds up from there, with the jogging getting longer and the walking getting shorter.

In my opinion anyway.

I'm have a look at it. I'll give it a go just jogging until I'm can't as there's a fair chance I might actually be able to do it almost all of it without stopping. I used to jog 10km non stop on a treadmill 2 or 3 times a week but always found road running so much harder. That was 4 years and 2 stone ago though.

You doing the Paisley 10k Rowan?

Probably not, going to go out Sunday and decide from there. Still building back up from the anaemia plus lots going on at home so not getting out as much.

Hopefully Glasgow 10k in October though and start Nike running club mod September.

Have been upping the distance in preparation for Loch Ness, running 16.2 miles on Sunday in 2h 12. Plan's to run 18 on Saturday, but had a bit of a worry with some knee and hip pain. Nothing major, but I've dropped one run from my schedule to give me a bit of recovery time.

Will be volunteering at Edinburgh Parkrun on Saturday morning for their 250th event. There's going to be cake! It'll be my first time volunteering there, chose well by the sounds of it.

Sydney City 2 Surf (14kms) was on Sunday. Completed in 97 mins (1.5mins better than last year) which I'm very happy with given that I'd spent the previous 10 day in Fiji, only returned to Sydney at 9pm the night before the race and rolled my ankle after 8.5kms!

I really enjoy running it but a few things pee me off about my fellow runners. Those that have absolutely no awareness of people around them ie they just move left or right without checking to see if it's safe to do so. Saw a few crashes due to this.

And the new phenomenon of idiots stopping to take selfies on their fecking phones.

Good work Swarley. Re: people taking selfies.. are these just casual joggers or is it on organised races?

I've not been running in that long (fecking manflu / Ebola) I've practically forgotten how to do it.

Still, Tollcross tomorrow should get me into the swing of things again.

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu