P&b Running Club

That's me signed up for My local park run.

Will need a bit of work over the next few weeks to get me back in to a rythem but looking forward to get back running.

Good stuff mate. Just to let you know that your parkrun barcode works for any parkrun in the UK, not just your local one.

I had a good run at a very foggy and cold Victoria parkrun yesterday morning. Got around in 17'43" (2 secs outside pb) and think I would have been nailed on for a pb had the weather been a bit warmer.

Today featured my second 16 miler in prep for Southside 6. A lot hillier this week and not too far off the difficulty of the race. Got around in 1h47' and am pretty pleased with that.

In case anyone missed it, Loch Ness have brought the marathon forward a week to 25 September to avoid the clash with GSR next year.

I do all my runs without music and don't mind it at all. Saying that, a lot of my longer runs are out on country roads with no pavements so I have to listen out for traffic on blind corners. I found that when I used my ipod I couldn't really control my tempo and would run to the speed of the music so my pacing would be all over the shop.

For monitoring my pace I use a Garmin 110 (with hrm) and i'll upload all my data to Strava.

I'm pretty much the same as this, but without the HRM. I've taken to listening to podcasts on the longer runs, so unlike with music, I can still hear what's going on around me.

What do those that use the HRMs on here get out of it? And do your adapt your training depending on what the data's telling you?

As for pacing, I'd struggle without my Garmin. But that is a bit of an investment unless your plan is to keep up with the running beyond London, ginge. The alternative I guess would be to have well worn training routes, maybe with landmarks at various point that tell you your X miles/km into your run. I'd struggle with the mobile apps, I'd hate not to being able to see what was happening!

Sounds like a good weekend for you, Bishy. Bang on form.

I enjoyed my day yesterday, too. Bumped into true_rover at the startline of Edinburgh parkrun and decided we'd be content with nudging under 20:00, only to spur each other on to finish in 19:33. Good fun! Went on to Stirling in the afternoon for the East District XC League meeting - 8.8km on hilliness in just over 36 minutes, which I'm really happy with. Ticking over nicely.

I never run with music - probably more a matter of habbit than anything else, but I don't think I'd try it now. On quick runs and races I've no problem just focusing on running, while on slower ones I really like the spells where miles fly by because I'm thinking about somethng else. When I first started running as something to replace football and squash, I did often find it a bit boring, but that isn't really the case now barring occasional 'can't be arsed' days.

I finally got round to gettng a GPS watch the week before Loch Ness and it is sometimes quite useful, but because I've become so used to just running wth a stopwatch I find I don't really use it for pacing, instead just running it by how it feels and what sort of effort level I'm aiming for. I don't use a HRM ether - same reason.

Some good sessions this week and managed 12 miles with a cold today, so not too bad. Got a 10 mile and a 10k race the first two Sundays in November, so just hoping to have one last push of the year for those. Not sure about Alloa, Morrison. It will sell out though - about 600 had entered when I had a loo a few days ago.

Thanks for all the advice guys, a lot to take into consideration, especially about things like HRM's and Garmin's. I'm not sure how seriously I'll take running after London so I might leave it until then before I look at picking one up.

I'm thinking about going to the Parkruns as well, I think it'll be good to get used to running with other people.

ginge123, on 18 Oct 2015 - 20:08, said:

Thanks for all the advice guys, a lot to take into consideration, especially about things like HRM's and Garmin's. I'm not sure how seriously I'll take running after London so I might leave it until then before I look at picking one up.

I'm thinking about going to the Parkruns as well, I think it'll be good to get used to running with other people.

Welcome aboard, and good luck for London. Would deffo recommend a couple of 'big field' events if you can find ones that fit in with training, because as has been said there is a bit of a skill element involved in running in a big pack.

Did 16 miles here today after getting a bit carried away, biggest distance in five months. Tight knee aside, all well. One month hard in the gym on upper body before ultra training next.

I enjoyed my day yesterday, too. Bumped into true_rover at the startline of Edinburgh parkrun and decided we'd be content with nudging under 20:00, only to spur each other on to finish in 19:33. Good fun! Went on to Stirling in the afternoon for the East District XC League meeting - 8.8km on hilliness in just over 36 minutes, which I'm really happy with. Ticking over nicely.

Yeah was a good parkrun, although never felt like we were pushing too hard given we were chatting through parts of it! My legs just didn't have enough to beat you over the last 100m though!

I definitely think I'd struggle with pacing without my Garmin, I would be too tempted to go off too fast and would probably struggle. I do have a strap for a HRM so I think I should probably give that a go for a little bit to see what I can get out of it.

I only tend to have music when I'm on a fairly short, fairly easy run - find keeping the pace steady difficult to do with it on.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been racing this weekend? Good looking races in both Edinburgh and Glasgow today with the Southside Six and Men's 10k.

I was in Dundee this morning for the Templeton 10. Given the time of year conditions weren't too bad, but there was still a really strong wind out on the exposed country roads, and combined with the tough hilly route, it made for a brutal race. Apart from marathons, that's easily the hardest one I've done. A very good local race though, with some nice views on a sunny Autumn day and plenty of cakes afterwards, which is always a nice bonus. I had a vague target of sub-67 but finished in 68:45 - fairly content with that though, given the route and the wind. After a downhill start, the first 5 miles is unrelenting uphill-flat-uphill-flat and although I knew it was hilly I hadn't expected it to be quite that hard. A good race though, and I'd like to have another go at it.

Also had a good time at parkrun last week in Kirkcaldy. Took another few seconds off my time to do 19:06, but the best bit was the sight as you went up the hll - with leaves completely covering the road, and plenty still on the trees, that steep uphill bit was just a tunnel of gold, and even though I've been round there loads of times, that was still an amazing sight.

I did the SS6 this morning. Will give a more detailed report later on, but for now it can be summarised by the following. It was absolute hell, the last four miles were the worst I have ever felt running, I am delighted with my time of 1h48'54" and I am never ever doing it again!

That's some strong running, Socks. Sounds like a right tough effort today, and cake is absolutely the best reward for it! I like your pretending the parkrun time wasn't the best thing about that run ;)

Interested to hear your report, Bishy. I quite fancy giving it a bash after running the Seven Hills of Edinburgh earlier in the year. Maybe you'll be talking differently on reflection!

I'm chuffed with my weekend, too. A pretty comfortable 19:46 parkrun at Cramond yesterday, and the Men's 10k today in stonkingly good conditions. I don't get it. The first 2.5k are almost relentlessly downhill so I attacked it to bag some time in hand, which I regretted with my slog from Holyrood Road through to the Grassmarket feeling pretty poor. Lost a lot of places here. Back on it as we went down Western Approach around 7-8k and finished strongly, out-kicking a clubmate on the artificial grass at Murrayfield to a 38:35.

That's 2.5 minutes off my PB from July and five minutes quicker than my fastest coming into the year :lol:

Men's 10k for me as well today. Tried not to go off too fast going down the Mound and the rest of the downhill start. Managed to bank some time over the first few kilometres but didn't lose too much time on the hills back up the way. Got stronger going along the Western Approach Road and got past a few people towards the end and the kick for the end sneaked me in with 39:59 for a PB of over a minute - delighted!

Good stuff folks, all good times there.

Got a 10k in Glasgow at Bellahouston Park next week, then that's me for this year. Are you doing it, Bishy? It says it's a flat route but I've walked round there once and I'm sure there's one fairly high bit, so will see how it goes I suppose. After two times just over 40 mins this year (one in windy conditons, the other on a hilly course), I'm keen to break that mark this time.

Slightly annoying that a race I wanted to enter that opened at 5pm is already full, and I missed it because I was having a wee two-hour dose after today's effort!

I did the SS6 this morning. Will give a more detailed report later on, but for now it can be summarised by the following. It was absolute hell, the last four miles were the worst I have ever felt running, I am delighted with my time of 1h48'54" and I am never ever doing it again!

I look forward to your report. I love this race - mud, hills, steps, hills, steps and a 'sprint finish' of more hills and steps, what's not to like? Having become a fatty the past few months I found the race a to be real struggle and was crawling from midway onwards and finished over 20 minutes slower than last year, but I still love it, possibly more so because of the novelty of having a race local to where I live and often run.

For 4 or 5 months now I have had pain in my right groin and lower abdomen after every run, which last a day or 2. The pain is quite strong, but goes away while I exercise. I have had an ultrasound and there is no traditional hernia. However, they were unable to to rule out a sports hernia. I was hoping it would go away by now, but doesnt really seem to be improving. My GP is clueless as there is no obvious muscle tear. Anyone any idea?

Good stuff folks, all good times there.

Got a 10k in Glasgow at Bellahouston Park next week, then that's me for this year. Are you doing it, Bishy? It says it's a flat route but I've walked round there once and I'm sure there's one fairly high bit, so will see how it goes I suppose. After two times just over 40 mins this year (one in windy conditons, the other on a hilly course), I'm keen to break that mark this time.

Yes I am doing it. Did it last year as well. The course is definitely a net downhill as you start at the top of the hill and only go about half way up it at the end of the first lap.

I made a right balls up of the start last year as I went off like a bullet down the hill and paid for it in the next couple of km. I wasn't in decent shape and new it so tried to push on at the start to make up time that I would lose later on. Ended up with a year worst of around 38.5 mins iirc.

The aim for this year is anything sub 38 mins as I am not in great 10k shape after SS6.

And so onto the Southside Six.

The weather conditions were pretty much perfect. Very little wind for the most part, dry and relatively warm for the time of year.

The course starts at the top of the Queens Park hill and the first couple of km are downhill. This led to a very quick first mile of around 5'45" iirc, which is far too fast for a race of this length, but it felt pretty easy.

From there the pacing steadied out a bit. I hit Kings Park and the first big uphill of the race spoon after. It was fairly effortless though tbh after all the hills I have been doing in training. After collecting my sticker shortly after the resultant descent it was out of the park and on our way to Linn Park.

The course was fairly undulating at this point and we also hit the first trail and stairs in Linn Park. But again it was early in the race so they were all dealt with the minimum of fuss.

On exiting Linn Park we then had a fairly long section of road running towards Rouken Glen park. Again the course was undulating here and pretty tough at stages.

Into Rouken Glen we go shortly after a seemingly neverending uphill section and it seems OK to start with. We then hit a fairly steep uphill section, followed by a long downhill section on trails. The trails were in a good state, so it was not too bad.

Out of Rouken Glen and onto Pollok we go. Things were going great at this time and I was really enjoying the race.

But then we hit Pollok Park and a very long trail section along the sheep trail. It was very muddy and slippy and my road shoes were just not equipped for it. I was slipping and sliding all over the place and losing a lot of times and energy in the process. I almost fell about four or five times and my ankles were sore for a couple of days afterwards due to the number of times I slightly rolled them.

After rejoining the tarmac I really felt tired for the first time. My times noticeably dropped off at this point and I was really struggling along the fairly undulating path towards the exit of Pollok Park.

From there it was a short jaunt across to Bellahouston Park and the famous Bella stairs section. I would love to say I ran all the way to the top, but I can't lol. I started strong enough, but I was running out of gas by this stage and ended up walking the last ten steps or so. It was then a long downhill and back towards Queen Park at a pace I was not overly happy with.

About 2.5km from home I bumped into one of my Cambuslang team-mates who had withdrawn and part of me wanted to do the same. I was at a level of tired I have never experienced before running and it was a real struggle.

Anyway, I finally hit the park and made it to the final steps in reasonable time. By this point I was absolutely done and had to walk up all the stairs, followed by a 250m or so jog to the finish.

I finished in 20th place out of 315 or so in an official time of 1 hour 48 mins 55 secs. The target was between 1 hour 48 mins and 1 hour 50 mins, so I was pleased with my performance.

It was definitely the hardest race I have ever done and a real challenge. I would advise anyone who wants to try something a bit different to give it a go as it is totally different from anything else I have ever done - part road race, part trail race and part stairs session!

Not much going on for me at the mo. Ran on Sunday, just 3.5 miles with a friend, so easy pace and chatting. Nice to not be training for anything specific for a change, and to just run because I enjoy it :-)

Was away volunteering at a charity kids camp in Kidderminster last week so haven't done much exercise at all.

Managed to go for one run while I was there during my break and managed about 3k through a pretty mixed route including woods, country roads and a golf course. Bizzarre to say the least!

Was looking at Bellahouston the other week but decided against it. True story. Good luck this weekend with it, guys. And nice report, Bishy, and a cracking result. Will keep my eyes open for entry next year (date dependent).

A week looking after a gang of someone else's kids, paul? Fair play! Much harder work than the odd run.

Sorry FP, no idea or experience with injuries of that sort. Frustrating not to have a diagnosis, though. I take it you've tried rest for a couple of weeks and easing back into it with no benefit?

Was training with the club last night, 10 miles total including some fartleks and hill repeats. Trying to keep the mileage up so I can start the year with a decent base. I'll be at the 5k at the Kelpies on Saturday night, which'll be a wee bit different.

A week looking after a gang of someone else's kids, paul? Fair play! Much harder work than the odd run.

Camps for kids with serious illnesses and their siblings. Third one I've done and absolutely love it!

Nice to do a totally different kind of run from my usual as well