P&b Running Club

I had a bit of a shocker too.  Got round in 1:45 (I had hoped to push 1:35). 

I picked up a knee knock at fives a couple of weeks back and it flared up pretty badly towards the end of a 20 miler last weekend and it's been bothering me ever since.  I'll have to get reacquainted with my foam roller and take it easy over the next week and hope it clears up quickly enough not to effect my training for Edinburgh too much.  

Great event though and a perfect day for it.

Ran the Larne half marathon yesterday, a very good turnout,1900 which was a 500 increase from the previous year, good conditions and a nice scenic route along the coastline, personally quite dissapointed with my performance, had a good first half and felt fine ,then my energy just drained on the second part, hadn't slept a reat deal the night before so maybe that was it but just wasn't comfertable at all, had gone into it hoping for a 1;41;00 but ended up on a 1;52;00 , just one of those things I suppose but still glad I'd done it...I think the next time I'll just run it without my phone as I was concentrating more on a time and keeping on a steady pace than just running it as I had done before and did much better. 

Sounds like a tough day for a lot of folk; the injury list lengthens.

That's interesting, Co. Down.  I've got a mate who wears the watch, but just runs to feel the whole time and was smashing out PB's all over the place last year.  I couldn't do that though - the watch is a good kick up the arse if the numbers aren't low enough, and occasionally a stern warning I've gone off like a prat.  Today was a fine example of the watch egging me on at points where I was dying, probably would've been a good few minutes slower if I didn't know I was on for a handy time.

Decent time there Morrison if it's a hilly course you were on, got to be pretty happy with that and especially so if you've been having bother with injury.

Got to say I was thoroughly pissed off not to be able to use my place at Alloa today. With weather that good, I'm pretty sure I'd have ran a PB, and had my training kept going the way it was in December and January I might well have smashed it. Ach well, always next year I guess.

Unlucky there folks, sounds like a pretty tough day for the rest of you. Hopefully the injuries don't last too long.

On the watch thing, I got a GPS last year, but I don't really use it for pacing in races. It's handy early in a race for making sure you don't go off too fast, but beyond that I don't really check the pace that much. I find it much more useful for training, and in races I'm quite happy just going by how I feel on the day. Mght change I guess as I get more used to having it.

Looks like I'll have to buck the trend a little and be pleased with how things went at Alloa.

Managed to get into a rhythm quickly of around 7 minute miles and kept it going through 10 miles (a PB at the distance!) but the big hill and the sun getting a bit warmer slowed me down for 1:32:49, about 40 seconds outside of PB but gives me confidence for the rest of the year.

Have signed up for two races this weekend, the Grangemouth 10k next month and, the big one, the Dublin Marathon.

I don't have a watch, but since I listen to music anyway, I use Runkeeper's audio cues to ensure I don't go off like a rocket. I still go off like a rocket, but after 0.5km, I realise I'm going to be knackered very soon and calm the pace accordingly. 

I average around 5 minutes per km, although I've done a Parkrun in 23:30... however, for the Iceland marathon, I think I'm going to have to calm the pace to about 5m 30 / km, otherwise I'll never finish it. 

I average around 5 minutes per km, although I've done a Parkrun in 23:30... however, for the Iceland marathon, I think I'm going to have to calm the pace to about 5m 30 / km, otherwise I'll never finish it.

Based on your 5k pb, you should be aiming for around 5 mins 20 secs per km for a marathon. That should get you around in about 3 hours 45 mins.

I'd be a wee bit wary of that advice.

There are a few online calculators that predict your time for one distance based on another (I use this one: https://mcmillanrunning.com)but my eperience last year was that it was pretty close for all distances from 1 mile to half marathon, but way off for the marathon. It just felt like a different game altogether.

When I put my 5k PB in (18:37) I get a marathon time of 3:01. My actual times last year were 3:21 and 3:25, and even though I felt fitter when I did that 5k time, predicted marathon times are still optimistic.

Everyone's different and it'll depend on how much traning you can do, but  really wouldn't suggest gong off as fast as that.

A cracking place to start would be the Springburn parkrun. Every Saturday morning there is a timed 5k run and its 2 mins from bishopbriggs town centre. You'll get all shapes and sizes from 16 min whippets to 45 min plodders. Great way to test how you're improving as well .

ETA the canal is also a good place for a run. It's flat and traffic free.

Edited by PWL

Also to mix it up a bit you could consider Pollok parkrun, Tollcross parkrun and Victoria parkrun all of which are in Glasgow and start at the same time. I really recommend Tollcross - it is a tough wee course, but it has the best atmosphere of any regular run I have been to.

Also if you are about in the City Centre on a Wednesday night then please come along to Great Run Local Glasgow Quays. We have a free 2k and 5k every Wednesday night leaving from Tradeston Bridge (the funny shaped pedestrian bridge over the Clyde just to the west of Central Station). We meet at 6.15pm for a 6.30pm start.

I am one of the core volunteers there and our focus is on helping new and inexperienced runners.

Go to www.greatrunlocal.org to order your free timing band and search for Great Run Local Glasgow Quays of Facebook for more info. You don't need your timing band to run, just to get a time, so feel free to join us tomorrow night if you are free.

Edited by BishyTON

After focusing on distance over the last couple of months in the build up to London, I decided to go at 5k tonight, and went round in 27.18, a pb by 4 minutes. Finished up a massive hill as well, so could conceivably have gone sub 27.

Delighted with that.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

Is the canal near the ASDA?

Probably easiest way to get on it is at the leisure centre. From there I'd head north towards Kirkintilloch rather than towards the city as it is a bit less barren!

As with above, thanks. I don't think it would be good for me to come along tomorrow but definitely next week or the week after once I've got into the swing of things. Just as long as I'm not expected to be svelte haha. Would I need to ask for anyone when I turn up?

Good stuff. No you wouldn't have to ask for anyone, just join the big group of people hanging around the bridge. If you want go up to one of the marshals (they will be wearing blue GRL vests) and introduce yourself. My name is Iain so you can say that I told you about it if you want.

Well done shifting all that weight Allan Jacobsen! Inspirational stuff! Totally recommend parkrun - it's like a wee (not so wee, really!) family. Some mega-fast runners, some plodders, but everyone is really supportive of each other. I love it - look forward to 9:30am on a Saturday every week, even if I'm nearly always volunteering. Actually getting to run this week though - yay!

Good luck! Did the Edinburgh parkrun last week. It's a great flat run on a nice day, although when the weather is crap and a biting wind is coming in off the Forth, it's not so pleasant! There's also a really nice parkrun in Portobello, although it can be a bit cramped depending on the numbers. 

Good luck! Did the Edinburgh parkrun last week. It's a great flat run on a nice day, although when the weather is crap and a biting wind is coming in off the Forth, it's not so pleasant! There's also a really nice parkrun in Portobello, although it can be a bit cramped depending on the numbers.

I did a 10k a year ago on the same route (my first ever organised run) and I've run there a few times by myself.

I think you always run a bit better in a big group, it'll also be good to have a recorded time. Aiming for 30 minutes as my first target, I usually do 10ks in about an hour.