P&b Running Club

Nice one, eddie. No tapering sounds like lunacy, mind! What you thinking for the weekend beforehand?

Looks like my glute trouble is actually piriformis problems, so at least it's alliterative now. I could feel it the whole way round the Road Relays yesterday, so will take all week off again, but similarly with 4 weeks to marathon I'm unimpressed.

Could try short stuff from next midweek and hope it keeps me ticking over. I know I need proper time out, but not yet...

I'll do 20 this weekend and same the next, haven't done enough distance so I would rather have tired legs than melt into my gutties due to lack of experience.

I'll ease off for a week before and hope that's enough.

Sounds like you're in a similar place yourself Morrison, but assuming you've done a marathon before at least you know you have it in the tank. Listen to your body and don't completely burst yourself.

Some carry on isn't it?

Training for London was going good until last week. Tightness and soreness inmy right leg has stopped me from doing any running. Been to see a physio and also foam rollering in the hope that it'll ease off and allow me to get back out. 18 miles is the longest I've done at the moment. I'm meant to have done 20 this weekend then taper from there but that is looking unlikely now. If 18 is the my longest run, should that make a difference, if I rest for this week then try and get back out next albeit not doing long runs?

That seems like a decent plan, eddie. It's a bit of a lottery after 20 miles when it's your first, but the circumstances can't be helped.

Rossi - it's as much mental as physical. Is this your first marathon? Fair to say getting to 18 means you've a greater 'unknown' on the day...you'll make it round if you're stubborn enough, but you're better to take it easy and be brutally realistic if you've a time goal in mind. What sort of distance have you planned for? Could you get up to 13-15 miles a couple of times?

It'll be my second marathon. I done the Edinburgh one in 2014. I actually thought I was doing better with the training on this one and feeling better but this setback has just came right out of the blue. I haven't really got a time in mind. I would like to beat 4 hours 30 but if I can't do that then it's ok. I'm doing it for the SSPCA so I just want to do them and my supporters proud. I could maybe get up to 13-15. I can just rejig the training plan and hopefully manage it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was out a run there for the first time in a fortnight after feeling pretty unwell, and whilst running up a hill I felt a pop in my left calf. It was quite sore, but I managed to finish the run, although pretty gingerly and I'm now hobbling around. Has anyone had any issues with calf injuries? I'm a bit worried its a tear, but would a tear not provide much more pain? It is sore, quite sore, but its not excruciating. The pain gets worse if I apply any pressure with my hand to the calf.

Edited by Snakebite

Sounds very much like the injury I got before Christmas. Don't go back running too early. I started running before I should have twice and each time it set back my recovery by at least a week. I would leave it 2 weeks after you don't feel it at all while walking.

Snakebite, I'd get icing it regularly (5-10 minutes, 3/4 times a day) for a few days to help the recovery. And what Gnash says, rest it.

We're probably all a bit guilty of returning too soon from injury at some point...

Out travelling just now and have been trying to squeeze in a couple of runs while I can. Managed a couple of 5ks in Hanoi and Sydney (great fun going over the harbour bridge) and got 10.5k done last night in the gold coast. Was absolutely drenched after that one but no lingering after effects this morning I don't think!

Turned up early for the new Ruchill parkrun on Saturday morning. Was a bit perplexed at the complete absence of people / cars until I realised I was actually a week early. Mad dash to make it to the next closest one, Springburn. 

I've been a bit of a lazy b*****d recently but I still got round in a little over 24 minutes which I'd have been happy enough with, were it not for my ex-girlfriend waltzing past me on the final lap - a big grin spread across her fizzog. 

Still, I don't think there's a greater incentive for me to get back into proper training!

Half 5 rise tomorrow morning to get my flight out of Brisbane into Christchurch so will probably go for an early evening jog tonight. It's a great way to see a new city! Would like to try a parkrun out here but don't envisage myself waking up for one on a Saturday morning!

Admitted defeat and went to the physio today for more sore bum. Was warned I could be quite sore tomorrow! Also told not to try running for 24 hours (not a problem) and give it a go on Saturday, which was a lot earlier than expected. Fingers crossed!

Finally managed to do Ruchill parkrun today after turning up a week early last week. I lived in the student village beside the park for 2 years and never once ventured in the park, after hearing dark warnings about neds with machetes. 

I's quite a hilly course ... a bit similar to Tollcross and Springburn with 2.75 laps and a big hill to negotiate. The big long hill at the start then turns into a rather steep descent which whilst not dangerous, isn't really long enough to get your breath back. 

Thankfully, there were no machete-wielding neds in attendance, although their presence might have made me run a bit faster, as I clocked a little under 25 minutes. 

Good turnout as well (155), although obviously those numbers will fade away over time, especially since there are so many other parkruns nearby. Gone are the days that Pollok was the only one in Glasgow!

On 13/04/2017 at 15:54, Stu said:

Admitted defeat and went to the physio today for more sore bum. Was warned I could be quite sore tomorrow! Also told not to try running for 24 hours (not a problem) and give it a go on Saturday, which was a lot earlier than expected. Fingers crossed!

Seemed a bit sore after a short run on Saturday so spent a lot of the rest of the day with some ice on it. Tried again this morning with a longer run and the problem area was about the only thing that wasn't hurting by the end! Cancelled tomorrow's physio appointment but, no sooner had that happened than my backside (think it's my glutes) was sore when I was walking about at lunch so have gone back to icing it.

Very frustrating. Physio did say when I phoned to explain why I was cancelling to see how it was after another couple of runs. Fingers crossed but knowing my luck I'll end up needing a couple more sessions when one would have done and I was too tight to pay if I didn't really need it!