The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I was listening to TMS earlier, before South Africa had lost any wickets, and Boycott and Blofeld were talking about Broad's brilliance in that spell against Australia last summer when he took 8-15. They basically said that the way Broad was acting and approaching his bowling early in the innings today made them wonder if he could be about to have another one of his brilliant spells. Of course we now know he did. Interesting that they identified so early that Broad was in the mood and this was on the cards.

Stuart Broad is now the number 1 ranked bowler in the world, a position Jimmy Anderson has never held, hard to believe. In the test rankings, England cannot move higher than fifth, even if they win 3-0. South Africa will be replaced by India as the number 1 team. I'd dare to suggest the rankings are a nonsense, although the batting seems to be a little less farcical.

Stuart Broad is now the number 1 ranked bowler in the world, a position Jimmy Anderson has never held, hard to believe. In the test rankings, England cannot move higher than fifth, even if they win 3-0. South Africa will be replaced by India as the number 1 team. I'd dare to suggest the rankings are a nonsense, although the batting seems to be a little less farcical.

It seems surprising England can't move higher than fifth. Unless I'm forgetting something over the past year and a half they've only lost one test series (Pakistan in the UAE) and in that time won the Ashes, beaten India 3-1, drawn series against New Zealand and West Indies and now have beaten South Africa in South Africa.

That doesn't seem like the worst record and certainly shows improvements on the position the team were in before. I don't know how the rankings are decided exactly but I'm guessing England's prior record must still be having a large impact on their placing (losing a home series to Sri Lanka and getting whitewashed in the Ashes in Australia [though in saying that they won the Ashes in the summer 3-0 before that as well as beating New Zealand at home and India away so even then England's record hadn't been consistently terrible]). If England do go ahead and win the final test I think a fifth place ranking would be pretty inaccurate.

Batting rankings are interesting. No surprise to see Williamson, Smith and Root battling it out at the top.

Edited by jmothecat

It seems surprising England can't move higher than fifth. Unless I'm forgetting something over the past year and a half they've only lost one test series (Pakistan in the UAE) and in that time won the Ashes, beaten India 3-1, drawn series against New Zealand and West Indies and now have beaten South Africa in South Africa.

That doesn't seem like the worst record and certainly shows improvements on the position the team were in before. I don't know how the rankings are decided exactly but I'm guessing England's prior record must still be having a large impact on their placing (losing a home series to Sri Lanka and getting whitewashed in the Ashes in Australia [though in saying that they won the Ashes in the summer 3-0 before that as well as beating New Zealand at home and India away so even then England's record hadn't been consistently terrible]). If England do go ahead and win the final test I think a fifth place ranking would be pretty inaccurate.

Batting rankings are interesting. No surprise to see Williamson, Smith and Root battling it out at the top.

The rankings are calculated over a 36-48 month period, with a year of results dropping off every May. So, at present, results back to May 2012 are counted. The results from May 2012-14 have a 50% weighting, and from May 2014-Present have a 100% weighting.

Not including the current series, that gives us:

West Indies H W 2-0 (3)

South Africa H L 2-0 (3)

India A W 2-1 (4)

New Zealand A D 0-0 (3)

New Zealand H W 2-0 (2)

Australia H W 3-0 (5)

Australia A L 5-0 (5)

Sri Lanka H L 1-0 (2)

India H W 3-1 (5)

West Indies A D 1-1 (3)

New Zealand H D 1-1 (2)

Australia H W 3-2 (5)

Pakistan A L 2-0 (3)

The rankings are calculated over a 36-48 month period, with a year of results dropping off every May. So, at present, results back to May 2012 are counted. The results from May 2012-14 have a 50% weighting, and from May 2014-Present have a 100% weighting.

Not including the current series, that gives us:

West Indies H W 2-0 (3)

South Africa H L 2-0 (3)

India A W 2-1 (4)

New Zealand A D 0-0 (3)

New Zealand H W 2-0 (2)

Australia H W 3-0 (5)

Australia A L 5-0 (5)

Sri Lanka H L 1-0 (2)

India H W 3-1 (5)

West Indies A D 1-1 (3)

New Zealand H D 1-1 (2)

Australia H W 3-2 (5)

Pakistan A L 2-0 (3)

No weighting for away wins?

No weighting for away wins?

Nope. This is from a cricinfo article on the rankings:

Each team gets one point for a Test win, 0.5 points for a draw, and an extra point for a series win. Thus, if Australia win a five-Test Ashes series 2-1, they will get 4 points, while England will get 2.

The method for calculating the rating points in a series depends on the relative strengths of the two teams playing that series. If the difference in rating points between the two teams at the start of the series is less than 40, then each team gets:

The team's series points (4 for Australia in the above example) multiplied by 50 points more than the opposition's rating points, plus

The opposition's series points (2 in the above example) multiplied by 50 points less than the opposition's rating points.

If the difference in rating points between the two teams at the start of the series is 40 or more points, then the stronger team gets:

The team's series points multiplied by 10 points more than the team's own rating, plus

The opposition's series points multiplied by 90 points less than the team's own rating.

The weaker team gets:

The team's series points multiplied by 90 points more than the team's own rating, plus

The opposition's series points multiplied by 10 points less than the team's own rating

This series score is added to the team's previous total ratings points, and divided by total number of matches plus series played to arrive at an average score for the team, which is their rating points.

Steven Finn will miss the fourth Test and the rest of the tour of South Africa because of a side strain.

Chris Woakes, Chris Jordan or Mark Footitt will replace him for the final Test and his place in the limited overs squad goes to Liam Plunkett.

He is expected to be fit for the World T20.

I'd give Footitt a go, a left arm fast bowler could be a big asset for England.

I would too. They'd have even more balance in their attack.

They'll go with Woakes though, because with him at 9, and Broad at ten, they have easily the deepest batting lineup in test cricket.

Edited by Savage Henry

Savage Henry, on 18 Jan 2016 - 20:35, said:

Alan Mullally still gives me nightmares with his batting. I can remember him batting as high as 9 in tests when Tufnell was playing.

That'll have been the New Zealand series when England went bottom of the rankings. Irani, Caddick, Mullally, Tufnell, Giddins for a tail, so effectively six down = all out. It's on youtube somewhere IIRC....

That'll have been the New Zealand series when England went bottom of the rankings. Irani, Caddick, Mullally, Tufnell, Giddins for a tail, so effectively six down = all out. It's on youtube somewhere IIRC....

Irani was quite a handy county batsman, utter garbage at Test level though.

For some reason Giddins has gone from my memory. I cannot recall him whatsoever.

Michael Atherton deserved better than carrying that awful team.

ETA Found the batting lineup and scores for the 4th test in 1999.

Michael Atherton - 10,64

Darren Maddy - 14,5

Nassar Hussain - 40,9

Graham Thorpe - 10,44

Alec Stewart - 11,12

Mark Ramprakash - 30,0

Ronnie Irani - 1,9

Andy Caddick - 15,3

Alan Mullally - 5,3

Phil Tuffnell - 0,1

Ed Giddins - 0,0

That fucking tail :lol: