The Cricket Thread

bewlay

That was the last series before Duncan Fletcher came in and one of his things was that everyone should be able to bat.

At Test level this is generally standard now, you get very few absolute joke #11s, even Finn and Anderson for England both have a 50 to their name.

Think the kiwi Martin was the last one I can think of.

Watched that review, a decent bit of entertainment, there were some absolutely terrible batting performances from both sides but the Kiwis normally found Cairns or Vettori to smash 50 and get them out of it, England couldn't quite do that.

Read ducking under Cairns' slower ball and getting bowled is well remembered but I'd forgotten about Parore leaving one off Caddick that hit 3/4 of the way up middle.

Also well summed up was England's pre-Fletcher selection policy

Team for the first Test

Butcher, Stewart, Hussain, Thorpe, Ramprakash, Habib (debut), Read (debut), Caddick, Tudor, Mullally, Tufnell

2nd Test- Headley in for the injured Tudor

3rd test- Hussain injured, Butcher takes over captain, Atherton in. Habib binned, Hick in. 35 year old Such in for Mullally

Atherton, Butcher, Stewart, Thorpe, Hick, Ramprakash, Read, Caddick, Headley, Such, Tufnell

4th test was full on England 1990s cricket selection mania- 2 of the selection panel (Gooch and Gower) removed, and as such... Butcher dropped despite being captain last match. Hick dropped because he was Hick after one match where he only got one innings. Read dropped and Stewart takes the gloves. Maddy and Giddins in for debuts, Irani brought in after 3 years, with Mullally back in for Headley :lol:

Atherton, Maddy, Hussain, Thorpe, Stewart, Ramprakash, Irani, Caddick, Mullally, Tufnell, Giddins

I think that typical shambles quite endeared me to English cricket in the 1990s, if they were the more well drilled team of today, though still not world beaters by any stretch, I think I'd have adopted my typical attitude to English sports teams of hoping they'd get pumped.

Watched that review, a decent bit of entertainment, there were some absolutely terrible batting performances from both sides but the Kiwis normally found Cairns or Vettori to smash 50 and get them out of it, England couldn't quite do that.

Read ducking under Cairns' slower ball and getting bowled is well remembered but I'd forgotten about Parore leaving one off Caddick that hit 3/4 of the way up middle.

Also well summed up was England's pre-Fletcher selection policy

Team for the first Test

Butcher, Stewart, Hussain, Thorpe, Ramprakash, Habib (debut), Read (debut), Caddick, Tudor, Mullally, Tufnell

2nd Test- Headley in for the injured Tudor

3rd test- Hussain injured, Butcher takes over captain, Atherton in. Habib binned, Hick in. 35 year old Such in for Mullally

Atherton, Butcher, Stewart, Thorpe, Hick, Ramprakash, Read, Caddick, Headley, Such, Tufnell

4th test was full on England 1990s cricket selection mania- 2 of the selection panel (Gooch and Gower) removed, and as such... Butcher dropped despite being captain last match. Hick dropped because he was Hick after one match where he only got one innings. Read dropped and Stewart takes the gloves. Maddy and Giddins in for debuts, Irani brought in after 3 years, with Mullally back in for Headley :lol:

Atherton, Maddy, Hussain, Thorpe, Stewart, Ramprakash, Irani, Caddick, Mullally, Tufnell, Giddins

I think that typical shambles quite endeared me to English cricket in the 1990s, if they were the more well drilled team of today, though still not world beaters by any stretch, I think I'd have adopted my typical attitude to English sports teams of hoping they'd get pumped.

Compare to now when Alistair Cook is going to have to go on a Chris Martinesque bad run to get dropped.

When you watch the classic games/players on Sky. The standard is at times rank rotten, amazing how quickly the standard has gone up everywhere.

The coaches comments post game were brilliant. 'visiting teams are more up for playing at Lords than we are' :lol: Complaining about the media pressure when they wasted no time dropping someone if they had a poor game is superbly awful leadership.

Going to be punished here for the missed chances.

Yep, after all the talk of of trying to depose SA as number one Test side they are in danger of handing them a cheap win. Bowling hasn't been great either, Woakes was too short far too often this morning.