The Cricket Thread

bewlay

They have to think outside the box, they need a leader, not necessarily the greatest player but someone to step up.
Buttler has done well elsewhere, maybe even Morgan.  Could really go for it and bring in Livingstone.
Giving it too Root has really hurt him.
I did say at the time I thought the worst thing they could do was make him skipper. I would agree that to get the best from Root then they have to make a change sooner rather than later.

Bit of hyperbole re Root. He’s not batting worse because of the captaincy. Stick with him unless he doesn’t want it. The problem is jiggering around with the batting lineup. Instead of lacking a 2, 3 and 5, they now lack a 2,4,5 and 7.

I think we need to accept that this current side is mediocre at test level - and exceptional at one day level.

False expectations and knock-em-while-they’re-down commentary doesn’t help. Develop an opener and this team suddenly looks okay. Develop an opener and a middle order batter and they’re a very decent side.

No idea who those players would be, mind you.

I think we need to accept that this current side is mediocre at test level - and exceptional at one day level.

There seems to be an attitude that winning the next World Cup is worth sacrificing the test team for.
They could be doing some damage to their game meantime.

There seems to be an attitude that winning the next World Cup is worth sacrificing the test team for.They could be doing some damage to their game meantime.

As noted earlier every time England fail at something (The ashes, winning on subcontinental pitches, the World Cup...) there are calls to focus the whole of English cricket on that problem. If there are any efforts to actually do that then they usually only last till the next crisis

England’s last World Cup was so dreadful though that they’ve actually been able to stick to a plan for once.

And whilst we can argue over whether it was a good idea or not back then it would surely be daft to change course now

One of the biggest concerns has to be that England don't do narrow defeats, when they lose it always seems to be by a big margin. The mental toughness just doesn't seem to be there, coupled with some bizarre team selections.

It’s transition time. England’s proven performers are coming to the end of their careers ( Cook, Anderson, Broad) and the replacements are unproven.

England will spend a while re-gearing and this looks as though this will be a lean summer. Suspect the coach will be replaced as well.

I'll always appreciate Vaughan for 2005 etc, but as a pundit he's really coming across as an arsehole. He's trying to be Boycott but without all of the things that makes Boycott actually worth listening to.
In what way is he coming across as an arsehole?

I always like him (but haven't heard much of this test match).