The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I think the weather might force their hand. Might not be time for England to bat twice.
If SA manage to avoid the follow on it will make it very hard for England to force the win, especially if any more time is lost in the next two days.

If England get a quick wicket in the morning I would expect them to mop up the tail quickly, and that should be enough to force the follow on. De Kock and Philander were quite stubborn today though.

If SA manage to avoid the follow on it will make it very hard for England to force the win, especially if any more time is lost in the next two days.

If England get a quick wicket in the morning I would expect them to mop up the tail quickly, and that should be enough to force the follow on. De Kock and Philander were quite stubborn today though.

South Africa are playing with 10 men tbf. Anyone seen Faf?

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
36 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo Kink said:

South Africa are playing with 10 men tbf. Anyone seen Faf?

Aye, he's had a dismal series so far, and some questionable captaincy decisions too.

He’s retiring from internationals after the World T20 anyway so only has the Windies Test series after this. I imagine De Kock or Elgar would take the captaincy.

This is the worst South Africa team in 30 years, but England seem to have unearthed some gems this tour. Sibley and Pope have all the tools to have big career in test cricket, Bess showing that he has some talent. I suspect the new management are going back to what England do best in terms of batting, playing against the Duke ball early season is really tough and only the patient or supreme talented survive as openers for long, but the test team wanted big boshing David Warner clones so kept trying to force players outside of the game they had grown up with. If they are now willing to allow openers and 3 to accumulate and occupy the crease rather than pick white ball cricketers or push accumulators to try to crash it to all corners, they will have their middle order arrive with the ball well worn and a reasonable score on the boards. Burns\Sibley\Denly will not score fast but they will set a stage for the Root\Stokes\Pope middle order to build. 

The current teams weakness is bowling away from home. This series aside they struggle from lack of raw pace and attacking spin options outside of England. Potentially Wood and Archer have the speed to make inroad on the sub continent and Australia. But deep inside England see strike pace bowlers as stock bowlers. If you can bowl 90mph plus then they want you to put in big shifts of 8 straight overs of 90mph bowling and wonder why you drop off in pace. 

This is the worst South Africa team in 30 years, but England seem to have unearthed some gems this tour. Sibley and Pope have all the tools to have big career in test cricket, Bess showing that he has some talent. I suspect the new management are going back to what England do best in terms of batting, playing against the Duke ball early season is really tough and only the patient or supreme talented survive as openers for long, but the test team wanted big boshing David Warner clones so kept trying to force players outside of the game they had grown up with. If they are now willing to allow openers and 3 to accumulate and occupy the crease rather than pick white ball cricketers or push accumulators to try to crash it to all corners, they will have their middle order arrive with the ball well worn and a reasonable score on the boards. Burns\Sibley\Denly will not score fast but they will set a stage for the Root\Stokes\Pope middle order to build. 
The current teams weakness is bowling away from home. This series aside they struggle from lack of raw pace and attacking spin options outside of England. Potentially Wood and Archer have the speed to make inroad on the sub continent and Australia. But deep inside England see strike pace bowlers as stock bowlers. If you can bowl 90mph plus then they want you to put in big shifts of 8 straight overs of 90mph bowling and wonder why you drop off in pace. 
Can't argue with any of that tbh, conditions have certainly helped England here in that Bess has bowled almost exclusively from one end allowing the seamers to bowl in 4 or 5 over bursts. Wood has looked as dangerous and effective here as Archer did in late summer and through the autumn and winter, I think fatigue might have caught up with Archer in the end.

I really hope the rumours about Jennings coming back for the Sri Lankan tour are just that. Backward step imo.

Given England is currently a work in progress, and by their own admission are working towards having a competitive red ball team, there’s very little negative to come from this series, other than Burns’ injury. I don’t really see Silverwood as being a terribly progressive appointment, and I can’t believe the batting coach is still Thorpe, but it’d churlish in the extreme to deny they’ve filled at least two of the three problem positions and added competition for several others.

In Australia in 2021, England need Archer and Wood to be fit. You can’t be going there with typical swingy 80mph seamers again, it just doesn’t work. Having a decent spinner would be nice too, hopefully Bess can kick on.

The top 6 in the batting order has looked the best it has in a long time, hopefully Burns can make a quick recovery.

If Crawley is able to come up with a big innings while Burns is out I can see them keeping him in the side at 3 and dropping Denly. Seems a little harsh on Denly, but it allows England to set a top 6 that could last for 5 years or so, and even at that point, when Burns retires, Crawley will be able to step up to open and Pope up to 3, so you're only searching for a number 6. As promising period for this batting lineup.

If Crawley is able to come up with a big innings while Burns is out I can see them keeping him in the side at 3 and dropping Denly. Seems a little harsh on Denly, but it allows England to set a top 6 that could last for 5 years or so, and even at that point, when Burns retires, Crawley will be able to step up to open and Pope up to 3, so you're only searching for a number 6. As promising period for this batting lineup.

No room for Jennings?

Then Rabada chips Broad to mid on. 209 all out. Brilliant morning. 
England enforce the follow on.
I did say it could end quickly if they could get Philander or De Kock early, but that was ridiculous. Rain is the only thing that can save SA now, and it's stopped play at the moment.

Maharaj drags on in the third. Three wickets gone with no runs added this morning. 1 to get.
Don't have sky but reading the guardian live updates and they're absolutely slaughtering the South Africans.

Was it that obvious that they were dug-meat this morning?

Don't have sky but reading the guardian live updates and they're absolutely slaughtering the South Africans.

It was obvious yesterday tbh when Nortje playing as the nightwatchman survived more deliveries than the other top 4 batsmen put together.

Guest Bob Mahelp
34 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

They've been dug meat for a while now. 

The 1st test simply disguised how poor a side they are.