The Cricket Thread

bewlay

16 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo Kink said:

Moeen isn’t coming so rather than have a 3-pronged attack of Bess, Leach and Parkinson, you could drop one out and use Denly and Root. No point packing with seamers in Sri Lanka though so the replacements will have to be batting ones.

I wouldn't play Leach. Have him in the squad as cover, but you can leave him out and have 4 spin options and 3 seamers. 

From this current team I'd drop Curran (seems harsh, but horses for courses) for Parkinson, and would rotate between 2 of Wood/Broad/Archer.

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I wouldn't play Leach. Have him in the squad as cover, but you can leave him out and have 4 spin options and 3 seamers. 

Leach is ahead of Bess at Somerset let alone England. 

Sri Lanka are not going to fold like the Saffers did to some relatively decent spin. 

7 hours ago, peasy23 said:
7 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:
They've been dug meat for a while now. 
The 1st test simply disguised how poor a side they are. 

In their defence, there can't be many countries to have lost as many top quality players in the last 5 or 6 years. Since Smith retired in 2014 they have also lost the likes of de Villiers, Amla, Duminy, Morkel and Steyn, while also trying to meet their racial quotas, although the current management don't appear to give two fucks about those rules.

They have no problem with fast bowlers. Australia are the only other country that seems to have a never ending supply of bloody fast bowlers. 

The batting is an odd one. You could almost always guarantee they would have a top 5 in the world test batsman. Kallis, Gibbs, Kirsten in addition to the ones you mentioned. 

De Kock is the pick of a bad bunch, though Malan looks useful. But a quick look at Kolpack and its not like there is a world class batsman who is not getting a game from that lot. Nor is it really a quotas issue because they are not picking any batsman on race rather than talent. They seem to have hit a lean spell in decent test cricketers. Maybe their young talented players are all focused on T20. I mean a few years ago they could afford to lose the likes of Trott and Pietersen to England and still field a team full of superstar batsmen. 

They have lost Amla, Roussouw, Duminy and De Villiers at the same time while du Plessis has faded.

Elgar, Markram, van der Dussen, De Kock, Rabada, Ngidi is a decent spine when fit but can’t see them competing with the top teams. This is a team whitewashed at home by Sri Lanka and absolutely piped by India. England should be expecting to win this series.

45 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Leach is ahead of Bess at Somerset let alone England. 

Sri Lanka are not going to fold like the Saffers did to some relatively decent spin. 

I think that's purely down to their respective stage of career. Leach is 28, so should be in his prime. Bess is 22 and at the stage of coming in to his prime. If I'm honest, I don't think either of them are any more than mediocre players at test level, though Bess has much more time to develop in to a good one. The problem with Leach (without looking at stats) is that it seems to me that he isn't particularly great at holding up an end and stopping the scoring, but he's also not a massive wicket taking threat. You have to be at least one of the two to be a good test spinner.

I genuinely think that Joe Root is England's best off spinner at the moment.

Lools like changes on the cards for the next test for SA, they will have one enforced anyway with Rabada banned.

Bavuma, Hendricks, Keegan Petersen and Phehlukwayo all joining the squad in Johannesburg, with Bavuma having just scored his biggest ever domestic score.

Paterson certainly not going quietly here.

Might be an idea to give the guy with nearly 500 wickets the ball.
JE Root has made himself look like a fool this morning.
The team ethos abandoned for one man.
He should be grabbing his two seamers by the throat and telling them "bowl at the fucking stumps!!!!"