The Cricket Thread

bewlay

13 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The seam bowling today was pish, no pressure built and it just went nowhere. Spinners did a decent job. Hopefully get a few hours of play in tomorrow. 

Yet the only reason the two spinners were on was because they were checking the light and obviously had a word with Stokes that any short stuff would have led to a stoppage of play.

Forecast is a mixed bag today, in some ways it's worse than yesterday as it appears to be for frequent showers, so it's going to be difficult to dry things up and get play started before the next one hits.

If England do ultimately tie or lose the series then it all comes back to the declaration on day one of the first test. Root was looking in great nick, and even with Robinson and Anderson up the other end they could have added another 50 or so, and imo they don't lose that test from there.

Pitch inspection at 11. This is what really annoys me about cricket. It’s not raining just now, why can’t the have the inspection done earlier and be ready for play at 11 as usual. They know there are likely to be rain delays throughout the day so surely they should be trying to get as much play in as possible.

Italy looking good here - 54-0 after 6 against Jersey at Goldenacre. Justin Mosca, having just plundered 20 from the sixth over, is 45 from 29. Scotland could have a tough match on our hands tomorrow.

Edit: Benjamin Ward has just picked up two wickets in his first over, including Mosca, so Jersey coming back into this.  Italy 73-2 after 9.

Edited by Frankie S

39 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Pitch inspection at 11. This is what really annoys me about cricket. It’s not raining just now, why can’t the have the inspection done earlier and be ready for play at 11 as usual. They know there are likely to be rain delays throughout the day so surely they should be trying to get as much play in as possible.

They would have been trying to dry areas off beforehand though, saw one mention on the BBC feed that one of the bowler's run ups hadn't been covered during the latest shower so that would need some work.

Derbyshire’s South African batsman Wayne Madsen just made his debut for Italy, scoring 52 from 29 with a flurry of fours and sixes, before being caught on the boundary. Madsen will certainly be a danger tomorrow. Italy have a few big hitters and a few ringers (including Madsen, Northampton’s South African Gareth Berg, and Kent’s Aussie Grant Stewart) in their ranks, so Scotland can expect a very tough game tomorrow.. Italy finish on 183-8, with Marcus Campopiano hitting three consecutive sixes from the last over. On balance, I’m hoping Jersey can chase this down, as Italy look a real threat in this tournament, despite their narrow loss to Ireland in their opening match.

Edited by Frankie S

1 hour ago, Frankie S said:

Derbyshire’s South African batsman Wayne Madsen just made his debut for Italy, scoring 52 from 29 with a flurry of fours and sixes, before being caught on the boundary. Madsen will certainly be a danger tomorrow. Italy have a few big hitters and a few ringers (including Madsen, Northampton’s South African Gareth Berg, and Kent’s Aussie Grant Stewart) in their ranks, so Scotland can expect a very tough game tomorrow.. Italy finish on 183-8, with Marcus Campopiano hitting three consecutive sixes from the last over. On balance, I’m hoping Jersey can chase this down, as Italy look a real threat in this tournament, despite their narrow loss to Ireland in their opening match.

How are they qualifying for Italy?

“Regardless of the weather and Ashes outcome I feel that Bazball has already won the day.

Obviously no matter what happens England have already won the Ashes, morally!

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

How are they qualifying for Italy?

Just checked: Stewart has an Italian mother. Berg applied for an Italian passport to get himself into the UK apparently. Madsen has an Italian grandmother it seems, though he declared an interest in playing for England for years. 

Comfortable 25 run win for Italy in the end. They made it look like significantly easier against Jersey than we did. I’d back Scotland to win tomorrow, but Italy are dangerous (I can see them wiping the floor with everyone else, weather permitting) and with the weather forecast not looking great for our games against minnows Denmark and Austria, it’s a vital match. Don’t want to end up in the position of having to beat Ireland on Friday to qualify. Even if Ireland beat Jersey tomorrow  (by no means a certainty) and have already qualified, they won’t take it easy against us that’s for sure.

Edited by Frankie S

1 hour ago, Frankie S said:

Just checked: Stewart has an Italian mother. Berg applied for an Italian passport to get himself into the UK apparently. Madsen has an Italian grandmother it seems, though he declared an interest in playing for England for years. 

Comfortable 25 run win for Italy in the end. They made it look like significantly easier against Jersey than we did. I’d back Scotland to win tomorrow, but Italy are dangerous (I can see them wiping the floor with everyone else, weather permitting) and with the weather forecast not looking great for our games against minnows Denmark and Austria, it’s a vital match. Don’t want to end up in the position of having to beat Ireland on Friday to qualify. Even if Ireland beat Jersey tomorrow  (by no means a certainty) and have already qualified, they won’t take it easy against us that’s for sure.

In both cases we are the only match on that ground on that day (Goldenacre for Austria on Tuesday and the Grange for Denmark on Wednesday). With the game due to start at 10.30am and finish around 2pm, does that mean that they'll give it the entire day before declaring a no result? If it dries up in the afternoon do they still play?

Reason I ask is because the Grange has two games on Tuesday (10.30am and 3.30pm) and Goldenacre has two on Wednesday so if the morning is washed out and the afternoon is dry, the early game would have to be abandoned. Not sure if that would mean our games would also need to be abandoned in the interests of competitive fairness.

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

They must be pretty close to abandoning the Test now surely? 

Would assume so. They've got enough light to play until 7.30pm but given that it's still raining and Australia will presumably just be batting everything into the ground to avoid losing wickets, I think it's time to wave the white flag.