The Cricket Thread

bewlay

don't know if anyone's been watching, but scotland are having an absolute shocker in south africa at the qualifiers today. 47/5 with a pathetic amount of dot balls considering they're miles behind the required run rate. canada made 252/7. they're going to be lucky to qualify now cos they'll have beat one of kenya and the netherlands and they don't seem to be capable of getting a decent total at all.

Hadn't noticed this.They have run up the odd decent total but the are fond of the odd collapse.

They do not seem to be making a lot of progress. Still along way behind an average county team.

Edited by capybara

I think they are making progress relative to the county standard. It's a matter of making enough money from sponsorship/qualifying for world cups to pay for more central contracts for the players. if we quality for this world cup, 3 more proffesional players will come of it. that can only help. The problem right now is i think the other associate member countries playing in this tournament have made more progress than us. canada, the netherlands, kenya and ireland all seem to be better than us and have better results. We need to come ahead of one of these teams to qualify and it doesn't seem likely if we can muster up a decent total in the next round. beating afghanistan and the UAE(if we manage it!) is all very well, but completely useless if we can defeat the sides who are challenging for the qualification places. It'll be a big setback to not qualify. On the other hand, at least if we come top 6 we'll have one day status. It's funny this, considering Ireland are absolutely flying these days and are rapidly catching up with the poorer test nations. They're already ranked 11th in the ODI rankings and will probably catch zimbabwe soon. scotland havent even won enough games v test nations to be included in the rankings!

I don't know if i'd pull them off, willing to try as I have the confidence to do so, what exactly can go wrong?

I would concentrate on getting the basics right because that will stand you in good stead to start with. Once you improve and your confidence builds up you can then start to play those kind of shots. It's not quite as easy as it looks on telly, so concentrate on your basic technique first which will help you avoid being pummelled by a rock-hard ball hurled at a rapid pace at you.

I would concentrate on getting the basics right because that will stand you in good stead to start with. Once you improve and your confidence builds up you can then start to play those kind of shots. It's not quite as easy as it looks on telly, so concentrate on your basic technique first which will help you avoid being pummelled by a rock-hard ball hurled at a rapid pace at you.

Still, at least its lookin likely that we'll get the player of the tournament for macca. Shame the rest arent up to his current form/standard

a reverse sweep is worth the same amount of runs as any other shot. it's not worth concentrating on them, just play the basics well and get your best score you can. thinking of joining a team in south edinburgh myself. used to play for west of scotland in the youth system and for dundee uni. anyone know much about the edinburgh area? i was thinking boroughmuir, watsonians or carlton but there's plenty of choice.

I'd go for Carlton if i were going to play in Edin I reckon. I guess it depends what sort of level you were going to play at though, but if you were in their 1's or 2's you'd be playing your home games on a decent ground.

Nets start next week unfortunatly I have to work 2-10 all next week therefore missing out, can i ask though what are the chances of of playing against top players that have maybe played at higher levels?

Depands what level you play and what you mean by higher levels.

SOrry it was a poorly put question, like in the league you play in are there any class players in it (apart from yourself ofcourse)? I imagine there will be a few students from abroad that are decent.

SOrry it was a poorly put question, like in the league you play in are there any class players in it (apart from yourself ofcourse)? I imagine there will be a few students from abroad that are decent.

I'm playing 2nd team stuff now, but in the games I've played for the 1's I've played against a fair few first class players and the odd test one. My never likely to be bettered career highlight is castling Matt Horne when he was Pro-ing for Ayr.

Actually, having looked at the points table we'd still be in with a shout if we lost although we'd have to win both our remaining games -preferably heavily in order to improve our net run rate which is miles behind that of Kenya and Canada- and hope other results go our way.

Much easier if we win though, c'mon Scotland!

All over, 154 :( .

Table...............W...............Pts.............NRR

Canada............4................8.............+1.393

Ireland............4.................8............+0.903

Kenya..............3................6.............+0.916

Netherlands......3................6..............+0.103

Scotland..........2.................4...............-0.513

UAE................2.................4..............-1.389

Afghanistan......1.................2..............-0.549

Namibia...........1..................2..............-0.847

All teams have played 5 games

Top 4 qualify for 2011 World Cup, top 6 retain / attain (delete as applicable) ODI status.

Remaining fixtures

Wednesday

Afghanistan vs Scotland

Ireland vs Netherlands

Canada vs UAE

Namibia vs Kenya

Friday

Scotland vs UAE

Ireland vs Kenya

Afghanistan vs Namibia

Netherlands vs Canada

We have to win our two games and hope the Irish / Canadians can do us a favour. Not qualifying would be pretty poor and losing ODI status a disgrace.

Edited by Fuctifano

wud it go down to net run rate or head to head we finished level with the dutch?

Net run rate- which means if the Dutch win one of their two we'll have to win both of ours pretty handily. The annoying thing about that method of calculation is you never know exactly how much you have to win by if the games are taking place at the same time.

We just lost to Afghanistan so it's all over

Can't say I'm too bothered as I wouldn't have gone if it was in the sub-continent and wouldn't have been a patch on the St Kitts trip 2 years ago.

Hopefully now we'll clear out some of the prima donna pish and start again

Linky

a reverse sweep is worth the same amount of runs as any other shot. it's not worth concentrating on them, just play the basics well and get your best score you can. thinking of joining a team in south edinburgh myself. used to play for west of scotland in the youth system and for dundee uni. anyone know much about the edinburgh area? i was thinking boroughmuir, watsonians or carlton but there's plenty of choice.

Loads of clubs in Edinburgh, most with several teams that cover a wide range of abilities. Not based in the south but Murrayfield DAFS are a go-getting, forward thinking club with 4 teams who play their home games at Roseburn Park (right next to Murrayfield Stadium). If you are interested check the website at www.murrayfield-dafscc.co.uk, contact details are on their too.

I guess Afghanistan will be the Bertie moment for cricket in Scotland. Still according to Radio Scotland ,if team A wins against team C and we beat team L we may go through on the away goals rule,or something like that..