The Cricket Thread

bewlay

What the f**k happened there, what was shown that enabled them to reverse the decision?

I'm all in favour of the referral system, but time after time the third umpire is going beyond his power. There needs to be much firmer rules set in place. I do like it, although it does take away a bit from the massive groundswell for LBW decisions - the best part of being in the crowd.

I think what's been most disappointing is that the West Indies series are on at a cracking time and I've watchedmore of this series live than any since I was a student. The only two exciting bits were the England collapse in the first test, which I missed 90% of cos I was in a pub not showing it, and the last session in Antigua.

The last two tests have been disgraceful, 30 wickets in 8 and 2/3 days.

What the f**k happened there, what was shown that enabled them to reverse the decision?

The referral system was meant to reverse a decision only when the on-field umpire was clearly wrong - no "well it close so we'll give the batsman the benefit of the doubt".

As fot the pitches - I know they've been too easy for the batsmen but given West Indies situation it's quite understandable. Given the fragility of the Windies batting I'd say even the last two tests have had their moments when a result could have been on if England had a stronger attack.

This could be interesting, England have nothing to lose in terms of this match, a 2-0 defeat is as much use as a 1-0 defeat, 108 overs left for play in total (edit: although 2 of those will be lost at the change of innings).

Bob Willis says score 177 in 46 and leave the West Indies 180 in 60

Alec Stewart says score 217 in 36 and leave WI 220 in 70.

The pitches have been dreadful for bowling but England dropped both Nash and Chanderpaul (as well as that controversial overturn) and could have left WI much more time to bat if they'd held on.

Edited by Fuctifano

Fair play to England, and indeed the West Indies... this has been one of the dreariest tests in recent memory, but thanks to some good batting and brave captaincy by Mr Strauss, the final session was as exciting as test match cricket can get.

I tend to agree with Vic Marks though, the more this series has gone, the harder it has become to defend the referral system. I tend to think they should do away with it altogether.

Looking forward to tomorrow, it'd be justice if England can scrape a win.

I am yet to be convinced on the referral system.Is it working? You could say in the Pietersen 1st innings yes. In saying that I'm surprised at a test umpire even giving it out.

Is it their because the standard of umpiring is poorer? Could you have seen Dickie Bird being happy with it?

1/why not go the whole hog with the Tech available.

2/ Ditch it completely

Im with Jim ditch it.

Bob Willis says score 177 in 46 and leave the West Indies 180 in 60

Alec Stewart says score 217 in 36 and leave WI 220 in 70.

I'd go along with either of them. England are as well going down 2-0 and fighting than 1-0 with a wimper. KP and Colly should try and score very quickly and set the Windies an achievable target in the (extremely unlikely) hope that they come out swinging. It's the very least the fans deserve.

I'd go along with either of them. England are as well going down 2-0 and fighting than 1-0 with a wimper. KP and Colly should try and score very quickly and set the Windies an achievable target in the (extremely unlikely) hope that they come out swinging. It's the very least the fans deserve.

The West Indies owe it to everyone who travelled out there to come out swinging. If they don't, it will ruin a potentially explosive final day, and give the West Indies a reputation akin to the New Zealand team of the last four or five years. Gayle is not doing the game any good, and it's sad.

Fear West Indies will get what we deserve for such a negative team selection - the extra batsman Simmons got 32 runs and the lack of a fourth bowler allowed England cheap runs in the Second Innings, to concede at over 6 an over in Test Match conditions is very poor.

For all those who criticised the pitch - it's not turned out to be a tame draw after all. Bad light is my hope, that close to the equator it gets dark quickly.

Edit - See Panesar was find 25% of his match fee for excessive appealing!

Edited by btb

Two balls to survive

65.5 Panesar to Edwards, no run, nudged to leg and that's it! West Indies win the series! They know they can't lose and there're partying on the balcony - and England reluctantly shake hands, and it's the end of the match

YEEEEESSSSSSS!

Well I have to say that once we got the formality of England's First Innings out of the way it was a cracking Test. The fragility of West Indies batting meant that the game was never safe (although it probably would have been had Gayle not pulled his hamstring) and West Indies decision to go in with just three frontline bowlers nearly backfired.

Over the series England were clearly the stronger side and it must be worrying that they couldn't take their chances in the St. Johns & PoS Tests. Odd that in a series where the bat dominated (17 centuries in the 4 Tests) the crucial spell was the hour after lunch on Day 4 of the First Test when England collapsed.

Hard to see where West Indies go from here - they do not have enough players of the standard required to win more than the occasional Test, maybe winning this series will lead to a resurgance in the game although it's just as likely the Stanford fiasco will keep West Indies cricket in the doldrums.

As for England - plenty of runs (when the going was good) but unable to take 20 wickets in any of the 4 matches. I foresee a long hard summer against the Aussies............

Cant disagree with anything BTB has said.

A series dominated by flat pitches,but still a degree of excitement.Antigua in particular.

An interesting debate on England's preparation for this series,in fact there preparation for all recent series. A lot of commentators,Atherton,Gower et all,of the opinion that the prep time is very poor.

Strauss said it was adequate,im not sure if recent stats would bear that out. I will try to look it up but if my memory serves me, England invariably lose the first test of a series.Especially on tour.

Still the Windies are over here soon,are they playing up here?

The wickets will be far friendlier for England,but as others have said England cannot bowl teams out. Getting a settled attack before the Ashes is a prerequisite.

By the look of Australia they have sorted out there problems in record time and will be a harder team to beat than they looked 6 months ago.

A great summer(ha) of cricket ahead.

Strauss said it was adequate,im not sure if recent stats would bear that out. I will try to look it up but if my memory serves me, England invariably lose the first test of a series.Especially on tour.

A great summer(ha) of cricket ahead.

That's Boycott's bugbear.

Have to say, England made it into a brilliant, brilliant test match. TMS on the tranny, and switching between the champions league was nerve-wracking stuff. Little or no respect for the way the West Indies treated the series though.

Little or no respect for the way the West Indies treated the series though.

They were an absolute disgrace. It's no wonder the interest in Carribean cricket is declining so rapidly when you look at nonsense like this series. The only reason why yesterday's finish was so exciting was because of a quite monumental effort from Jimmy Anderson and a couple of dodgy umpiring decisions.