The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Check out the full name of the opening bowler playing against England justnow.

Genius stuff from his parents.

:lol:

Prior to miss 4th Test due to birth of son, to be replaced by Ambrose - means England will probably decide to shore up the batting.

Quote from cricinfo

He (Ambrose) is likely to be joined in the middle-order by Ravi Bopara, who scored an attractive century in England's warm-up in Barbados, or a recalled Ian Bell

:)

Edited by btb

Ambrose did make some runs.I don't think he significantly weakens the team.

Who else comes in? Bopara made a good 124. Did not inspire with the ball though.But i guess he is a tad tired. Bell made 72.

Ambrose did make some runs.I don't think he significantly weakens the team.

Who else comes in? Bopara made a good 124. Did not inspire with the ball though.But i guess he is a tad tired. Bell made 72.

I think he does. Ambrose is a number 8 batsman at test level. There's every chance he might have to bat at 6 in order to accommodate five bowlers. The England tail with Ambrose is lengthy to say the least.

Ambrose will come in for Prior and Bopara for Flintoff. If if Swann will play so that leaves 3 bowling slots which will go to 3 of Sidebotton, Anderson, Harmison, Broad and Khan.

I imagine Broad is a shoe in after the last test, so still 2 places up for grabs.

As long as the ginger dwarf doesn't come back in i'm not fussed who plays. I feel that Bopora deserves a shot though.

I'm not a big Bopara fan in 4/5 day cricket, howver you can't argue with the summer he's had at Essex. Wouldn't surprise me if they binned Shah for Bell though <_<

No way they'll pick 2 spinners in a 4 man attack, so looks like no Monty either if Swann makes it.

Prior, Broad and a fit Swann would IMO have been a stronger 6,7,8 from a batting perspective than what West Indies have - Ambrose, Broad and an inconvenienced Swann not.

I reckon England will go with Bopara and ask him & perhaps Collingwood to fill the bowling duties. Going in with 4 front line bowlers they've got to be pretty fit & if they choose Swann then Harmison with his stiff back (or is the problem in his head) is too much of a risk - it's certainly a lot less straightforward for England than it was at the start of the series.

Hard to see Windies bringing either Baker or Simmons in so it's "as you were" for the hosts.

Problem is, England don't have another all rounder. They could have pushed Prior up to six and brought in a bowler, but now, I think they should keep 8,9,10 and 11 as was and go with Bopara at 6 in the hope that he takes a wicket or two. Unless KP feels like getting through 20 overs an innings, in which case they ought to bring back Bell at 6.

Here's a stat from today's 'paper. Flintoff has played in exactly half of England's 42 Tests since the 2005 Ashes (not including last week's abandonment). In that time they've won only three Tests when he has been playing, as opposed to ten when he hasn't.

Bopara looks set to take the number six spot; Swann is fit to play; so is Harmison - if they want him.

Australia are 194/5 on the first day of their first Test in South Africa. Steyn has three wickets - easily the best quick bowler in the world just now, imo.

9.30am Right, England have won the toss and will bat. An important first use of a fast and bouncy track, I reckon. And sure enough, here is confirmation of England's team:

England 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Owais Shah, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Ravi Bopara, 7 Tim Ambrose (wk), 8 Stuart Broad, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 Ryan Sidebottom, 11 james Anderson.

Steve Harmison's last year in test cricket - Played, dropped, played, dropped, played, dropped, played, dropped.

His wicket taking record on the road must be woe full. But i think he can still play a big part in the Ashes. Does anybody know offhand how Simon Jones is these days.

His wicket taking record on the road must be woe full. But i think he can still play a big part in the Ashes. Does anybody know offhand how Simon Jones is these days.

No way of knowing, really. He showed some good form in short bursts last season. If he can show it and sustain it for a bit in the early part of this season he might play his way into Ashes contention, but it's a long shot.

England are 46/0 after twelve overs.

Australia are 254/5 with rain stpping play.

108 /0 at lunch..Good start but you need to take 20 wickets to win a game.

Strauss (71 n.o.) dropped on 58, Powell his usual self, Benn expensive too. Looks like a big First Innings score is on the cards. Will they beat the 301/3 they made on Day 1 at St. Johns?

On the too much bloody time on their hands front - read this! B)

Edited by btb

42.2 Benn to Strauss, SIX, down on one knee, belted imperiously over the leg side, and that is a fantastic century from England's captain. He is utterly motoring. And incidentally, that takes him past 4500 Test runs as well

The helmet comes off instantly, arms aloft, the England supporters on their feet. Cracking performance. The ball, by the way, has not been retrieved. A century, a six and a lost ball. A nice triple-whammy for any batsman.

England currently 169/0 (Strauss 111 n.o., Cook 57 n.o.) at Drinks

Costly miss of Strauss on 58! :(

200/0

It's going to be a draw isn't it?

Too early to say - a team facing a really big score can sometimes be bowled out quite cheaply especially if key players are fatigued, it's not yet Tea on Day 1 and already Gayle has bowled 15 overs! B)

Tea - England 221/0

Strauss out! 142 (229/1)

Cook out - 94 (241/2) - Pressure got to him. :rolleyes:

260/3 (84 Ov) New Ball

Edited by btb