The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Should be a formality today,but stranger things have happened.

With England's attack I wouldn't say it was a formality :lol:

I can't think of too many partnerships that are as good as Chanderpaul and Sarwan. If England don't break them up within a couple of hours then you'll see the good old England panic tactic of throwing Flintoff the ball, hoping that he can bowl for a ridiculously long spell in searing heat.

Also heard that there could be some showers over Antigua today.

Edited by Shengus Khan

With England's attack I wouldn't say it was a formality :lol:

I can't think of too many partnerships that are as good as Chanderpaul and Sarwan. If England don't break them up within a couple of hours then you'll see the good old England panic tactic of throwing Flintoff the ball, hoping that he can bowl for a ridiculously long spell in searing heat.

Also heard that there could be some showers over Antigua today.

Yup for the West Indies Chanderpaul and Sarwan are the key - after these two there's only Nash who you would fancy to hang around, altho' Powell did an excellent job as nightwatchman in the First Innings.

Come 2 o'clock I'll be doing my rain dance!

Edited by btb

Lunch - Day 5

England 566/9d & 221/8d

West Indies 285 & 196/3 (64.0 ov)

Shortened session due to rain - no wickets, no sign of Flintoff. :)

England win still most likely outcome if there's no more rain but a draw is in sight - guess it'll all come down to how England perform with the new ball.

BTW - How did Stanford (a Texan) become a knight?

199/3 - Flintoff on

235/3 New Ball

Sarwan out for 106 (81.4 Ov) - 4 balls after drinks. :(

Edited by btb

Spinners on at both ends - 5 overs left!

And the umpires come to talk once more. Here comes the light meter! Everyone's favourite meter. They're offering the light - and they take it! That's it, it's all over, red rover, for England. What an incredible last session that was. A brilliant, tense and enthralling climax and how fitting for it to have been played at the old Rec, a ground brought back to life.

:lol::lol::lol:

Barmies - GTF!

Edited by btb

England can now add Fidel Edwards to the list of Sreesanth, McGrath, Danny Morrison, and Paul Adams as #11s that have held out for draws against them.

Cracking game, shows why Test cricket will always be the superior form of the game. West indies have come on a ton in the past couple of years, their tail batted brilliantly with the exception of one suicidal run by Benn.

Would make WI favourites to take the series now, England attack sans Flintoff is very non-threatening indeed. Bob Willis was saying Bellend will probably come back in (provided Flintoff is out), and they'll go with 4 bowlers for the next test.

England can now add Fidel Edwards to the list of Sreesanth, McGrath, Danny Morrison, and Paul Adams as #11s that have held out for draws against them.

Cracking game, shows why Test cricket will always be the superior form of the game. West indies have come on a ton in the past couple of years, their tail batted brilliantly with the exception of one suicidal run by Benn.

Would make WI favourites to take the series now, England attack sans Flintoff is very non-threatening indeed. Bob Willis was saying Bellend will probably come back in (provided Flintoff is out), and they'll go with 4 bowlers for the next test.

Please Lord - make it so!

Cracking game.As other have said a great advert for Test Cricket in this age of the quick fix multi million dollar slog fest.

England will be disappointed not to have won this,but i think they made the correct call in not forcing the follow on,and given there bad experiences with declarations ,you can understand why they batted on.

All in all and considering the circumstances the game was played in a cracking match.

Barbados next.No doubt another pitch that wont do much?? Swann will keep his place i'm sure.Will Flintoff be fit? I think he his going for scans today,maybe we will know sooner rather than latter.

Does Bob Willis ever get anything right? There's no way England will go with four bowlers, especially if the next pitch is as flat as this one, they'll go with two spinners.

Wonderful, gripping test match, but I think Andrew Strauss's captaincy was shown up a little. They batted too long after not enforcing the follow on, and made an almighty mess by putting in a night watchman at the end of day 3.

Bob Willis was saying Bellend will probably come back in (provided Flintoff is out), and they'll go with 4 bowlers for the next test.

That would be absolutely scandalous if that were to happen. Yesterday showed that they badly need another bowler, not a bottling batsman who shits his pants when he scores 20.

What a finish to the game though! Great scenes. I loved Swann bowling with the other 10 England players round the batsmen :lol: . You can't really fault the English bowlers though. They put in some shift on a flat wicket and but for the light I think they would have taken the wicket in those final 4 overs. As Cheery Bob Willis said, England shot themselves in the foot by not putting the foot down in their second innings. The decision to put Anderson in as night watchman was also a bit foolish as I believe he was in for over an hour which wasted valuable whacking time.

Edit - Any news on KP's hand? That would have been bloody sore!!!

Edited by Shengus Khan

That would be absolutely scandalous if that were to happen. Yesterday showed that they badly need another bowler, not a bottling batsman who shits his pants when he scores 20.

What a finish to the game though! Great scenes. I loved Swann bowling with the other 10 England players round the batsmen :lol: . You can't really fault the English bowlers though. They put in some shift on a flat wicket and but for the light I think they would have taken the wicket in those final 4 overs. As Cheery Bob Willis said, England shot themselves in the foot by not putting the foot down in their second innings. The decision to put Anderson in as night watchman was also a bit foolish as I believe he was in for over an hour which wasted valuable whacking time.

Edit - Any news on KP's hand? That would have been bloody sore!!!

Yup that's about the only thing they did wrong IMO.

Andrew Flintoff has been ruled out of the fourth Test against West Indies, beginning on February 26 in Barbados, after scans revealed a muscle strain in his right hip. However, he will remain with the squad for the time being and will continue to be assessed regularly by the medical staff.

England have flown in two players, fast bowler Amjad Khan and batting allrounder Ravi Bopara, from New Zealand - where they were touring with the England Lions squad - as cover for Flintoff.