The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Well I never :o

Little Alistair Cook makes a 50 before reverting back to normal and bottling it (albeit off a very fine slip catch) and old Straussy chap only goes and gets himself a ton :o . What is the world coming to?

Nice to Shah looking in fine nick so far*. If he carries on like this hopefully Bell will be back at Warwickshire whilst the Ashes rages on B)

*I've probably given him the kiss of death

Edited by Shengus Khan

Check out the catch by Voges off McCullum if you can, caught the ball right on the rope, threw it up as his momentum was going to take him over, then caught it as he dived back in. Stunning.

Kiwis need 20 off 11 to win now...

Feast thine eyes

Shah's just run himself out- pillock. Played well up until that point though.

Good recovery by England after the Sabina Park debacle. Strauss will be annoyed at getting out lazily just before the close, a mega score was his for the taking if he'd had the chance to rest overnight. Great knock though.

They really should be looking at batting for 2 and 3/4 more sessions then declaring 40 minutes before the close- if Pietersen can get going it could be carnage. Alternatively England could collapse to 350-odd and WI could be 250/1 at the end of tomorrow. That's the beauty of an England test match!

edited for rogue "d".

Edited by Fuctifano

301/3 - great first day for England.

Interesting to see England go after Benn. Will be looking to see how many Anderson scores tomorrow as that will indicate how likely England to be able to force a win - the Recreation ground had the reputation of being a batsman's paradise, Lara's 375 was scored here.

Check out the catch by Voges off McCullum if you can, caught the ball right on the rope, threw it up as his momentum was going to take him over, then caught it as he dived back in. Stunning.

Kiwis need 20 off 11 to win now...

Aye fantastic bit of skill and it won the match imho.

Good batting performance.

Can anybody explain Chris Gayle,s tactics.Spin dominatting on a track that wasn't doing much. No plan B.Why did he even put England in?

I had heard he wasn't keen on this game going ahead,i wonder if he is just going through the motions.Its hard to tell with him.

Can anybody explain Chris Gayle,s tactics.Spin dominatting on a track that wasn't doing much. No plan B.Why did he even put England in?

I had heard he wasn't keen on this game going ahead,i wonder if he is just going through the motions.Its hard to tell with him.

No one was quite certain how the pitch was gonna play, the general feeling was it might "do a bit early on" - bowling first in these circumstances was a defensive option. As I said above in the past the pitch here was known as a "bowler's graveyard" probably a good toss for England to lose, I'd imagine they'll bat as long as possible and hope that after two and a bit days in the field they can bowl out a tired Windies team cheaply and enforce the follow-on.

Don't think Gayle was going through the motions - as others have said he's just a laid back guy.

Looking forward to the Ashes, the Australians are begining to talk up their chances - Greg Chappell focusing on England's problems on a cricinfo article.

Edited by btb

Strauss said he would have done exactly the same, although he wouldn't have bowled KP half the day. I think it's fair to say that either the West Indies were awful or both teams have misread the pitch and selected completely the wrong teams. Or England have been bluffing all along...

8.4 Harmison to Gayle, OUT, a half-volley outside off which Gayle tries to carve through the off side, but he can't quite lift it over Anderson at mid-off who holds onto a decent catch

CH Gayle c Anderson b Harmison 30 (32b 5x4 1x6) SR: 93.75

Looks like Gayle got overexcited - out after hitting Harmison for 6 & then 4 on his first over.

52/1 (10.4 Ov)

Stumps - Day 2

England 566/9d

West Indies 55/1 (13.0 ov)

The only wicket was Gayle caught at mid-off - I'd say England have to get a coupla early wickets else it'll be a long hard day in the field.

Edited by btb

Pivotal day of the match.

England will need to bowl well. You can leek runs on this pitch very easily. Still if you can hit the centre line you have a chance. There does not seem to be much movement.

Although i think that England bat a lot further down than the Windies. First session crucial,i think we will have a very clear idea of the result by 21.30.

Looks like Gayle got overexcited - out after hitting Harmison for 6 & then 4 on his first over.

52/1 (10.4 Ov)

Stumps - Day 2

England 566/9d

West Indies 55/1 (13.0 ov)

The only wicket was Gayle caught at mid-off - I'd say England have to get a coupla early wickets else it'll be a long hard day in the field.

I disagree, I think England, despite the first test, are a far better team and could easily win this game by an innings. Get Harmison tearing in, there's not much batting in that W.I lineup. Advantage England already.

I disagree, I think England, despite the first test, are a far better team and could easily win this game by an innings. Get Harmison tearing in, there's not much batting in that W.I lineup. Advantage England already.

I think that as well. If Harmison can find his line and length early on then he's going to have a field day. The same could also be said for Flintoff.

Incidentally, whatever happened to Dwayne Bravo? A year or so back he was the Windies' best player barring Chanderpaul. Is he injured?

I think that as well. If Harmison can find his line and length early on then he's going to have a field day. The same could also be said for Flintoff.

Incidentally, whatever happened to Dwayne Bravo? A year or so back he was the Windies' best player barring Chanderpaul. Is he injured?

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/391127.html

Bravo info.

Line and length yea, there does not seem to be much sideways movement. Maybe pure pace and the centre line....