The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I think that as well. If Harmison can find his line and length early on then he's going to have a field day. The same could also be said for Flintoff.

Incidentally, whatever happened to Dwayne Bravo? A year or so back he was the Windies' best player barring Chanderpaul. Is he injured?

Injured but should be back in time to smash england in the ODI's.

I think that as well. If Harmison can find his line and length early on then he's going to have a field day. The same could also be said for Flintoff.

Well that's an hour and a bit gone and the nightwatchman Powell gone on to make his fourth highest test score and his longest innings in terms of balls faced and still counting. Unless England can conjure up some reverse swing I think it's the sort of wicket where a batsman once in should be able to cope. The one wicket (Smith) was out trying to slog Swann two balls after the drinks break.

Cue a Windies collapse. :rolleyes:

Edited by btb

Hinds & Sarwan going after Swann - 19 runs off his last two overs.

Change of bowling - Flintoff on. B) With a lead still near to 400 I'd have given Swann a few more overs,

Hinds out - caught behind off Flintoff :rolleyes: - that's 3 of the top Windies batsmen got in and not made 50.

Statin' the bleedin' obvious but this is a key partnership (Sarwan & Chanderpaul).

201/5 - Chanderpaul out. Windies in big trouble.

278/8 - Nash out. Only the tail left. England victory very much on the cards.

285/9 - I guess the question is whether England enforce the follow on. With Flintoff appearing to have a thigh strain and Harmison a dicky tummy they might go for some quick runs. 285 all out.

Stumps - England 31/1 (312 ahead)

Edited by btb

R Allen Stanford, sponsor of the recent 20-20 series in the West Indies, is being charged with an $8 billion fraud by the Securities and Exchange Commission :o

This is going to be a big story. The ECB has broken off all negotiations with Stanford over forthcoming 20/20 tournaments and their are plenty of questions being asked of Clarke on due diligence etc. West Indies cricket i guess the biggest loser as he bankrolls much of it.

Stumps - England 31/1 (312 ahead)

Interesting decision not to enforce the follow on.Happens more often now.Given the temps at least the bowlers get a break.A real push for runs later today and the West Indies batting by tea?

Interesting decision not to enforce the follow on.Happens more often now.Given the temps at least the bowlers get a break.A real push for runs later today and the West Indies batting by tea?

Probably the right decision in this case given the lack of time to prepare the pitch properly, you wonder what sort of condition it's going to be in by day five, and if you're batting last even chasing a low score could be fraught with danger.

The experts on TMS seemed to reckon England will declare just before or after lunch.

This is going to be a big story. The ECB has broken off all negotiations with Stanford over forthcoming 20/20 tournaments and their are plenty of questions being asked of Clarke on due diligence etc. West Indies cricket i guess the biggest loser as he bankrolls much of it.

Given they are two bowlers down, it was the only sensible option available to Strauss. England have won every session of this test so far, and it was be an injustice if it ended in anything other than an England win. The only problem I see is if England bat too long, or conversely, not long enough. It's a tough call. A lead of 450 should be enough as I think England can bowl the Windies out again.

Interesting decision not to enforce the follow on.Happens more often now.

Since the demise of the rest day it's no longer an automatic option. With Flintoff & Harmison not fully fit the possibility of one or both picking up an injury is increased especially if West Indies manage to play better in their second innings.

Since the demise of the rest day it's no longer an automatic option. With Flintoff & Harmison not fully fit the possibility of one or both picking up an injury is increased especially if West Indies manage to play better in their second innings.

Espcecially with the pitch being a bit of an unknowm qualtity the more the game goes on.

With din dins over England are 153/4 with KP and Collingwood at the crease. Lead is now well over 400. What happens here then? Do the pair of them get permission to swing at everything for an hour or so or do they take it canny and bat on normally for another 2 or 3 hours? I much prefer the 1st option.

England 195/6 wickets tumbling as they go for quick runs - Declaration soon!

Obviously an England win is odds on, but I think a draw is possible if The Windies bat sensibly.

Interesting to note Flintoff didn't come in until after Prior & Broad.

Declaration 221/8 (502 ahead).

Anderson & Broad (!) open the bowling for England - Flintoff injury (hip) confirmed but is Harmison still a bit unwell or just below Broad in the pecking order now?

Edited by btb

Obviously an England win is odds on, but I think a draw is possible if The Windies bat sensibly.

I can't remember the last time that happened.

Harmison came in ahead of Swann for some reason. Horses for courses I guess.

Anderson & Broad (!) open the bowling for England - Flintoff injury (hip) confirmed but is Harmison still a bit unwell or just below Broad in the pecking order now?

Hip injury, doesn't sound as though he's going to bowl much in the second innings.

I can't remember the last time that happened.

The First Test - don't forget this was traditionally a batman's ground and in 2003 West Indies got 418/7 in the 4th Innings here to beat Australia.

Tea - Day 4

England 566/9d & 221/8d

West Indies 285 & 32/0 (14.0 ov)

West Indies require another 471 runs with 10 wickets remaining

Stumps - Day 4

England 566/9d & 221/8d

West Indies 285 & 143/3 (45.0 ov)

England should wrap it up tomorrow - their only concern is whether Flintoff will be able to bowl at or around full pace.

Edited by btb

Should be a formality today,but stranger things have happened.

Flintoff's fitness a worry but he did bowl.Bit of a gap till the Barbados test, there is i think a two day game,maybe be a chance to look at some of the others.

It will be hard to drop Shah or Swann.