The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Playing the Windies in May is a stupid thing to do. The West Indies batsman are utterly useless in early season, damp, swinging conditions and were always likely cop a real tanking. The only time West Indies should play in England is in late July/August after a long hot summer when the pitch will be less bowler friendly. England have always been good in home conditions (ie loads of seam movement) and stuffing the clueless Windies proves nothing.

Swann did most of the damage though, by August the wickets will be a lot more helpful for spinners!

W Indies sounded very poor(listened more than watched). While i know conditions will not be to there liking, that was poor. They have that look again of i cant really be bothered.

England seem to be poorly prepared on the road,and so on the evidence of the 1st two days are the W Indies.

Still good to see a wicket that will let you score and give help to seem and spin.A rare bird indeed.

Do not buy tickets for the 5th day of a test in England.

Probably down to cost but tours are very much truncated these days, with less warm-up games. Of the West Indies bowlers only Edwards has played county cricket, AFAIK Baker on his first tour would have been playing his third match in England, Benn pretty much the same.

There's no excuse for the poor fielding but as I said earlier I feel the Windies were demoralized by England's total and with no confidence in being able to reach it batting conservatively just decided to go out and have a bash. Again I feel there's no excuse for them getting bowled out in a little over 30 overs.

I'm disappointed that the charachter showed in the batting performances in the Caribbean has been ditched for a return to the cheap & cheerful displays we had become used to. As a follower of West Indies cricket it's the manner of defeat that I find, well, disappointing. I had no illusions about the likely outcome of this series but England should've been made to work a lot harder.

Anyway I'm off to resume my rain-dance!

Someone who was at Lords on Wednesday was telling me about Edwards' reaction to Gayle's dropped catch. Apparently he threw a proper strop at the end of the over and was loudly telling the sub fielder "That was fucking unbelievable, he wasn't even fucking watching" (or words to that effect).

I'm disappointed that the charachter showed in the batting performances in the Caribbean has been ditched for a return to the cheap & cheerful displays we had become used to. As a follower of West Indies cricket it's the manner of defeat that I find, well, disappointing. I had no illusions about the likely outcome of this series but England should've been made to work a lot harder.

Anyway I'm off to resume my rain-dance!

Agree.I have been following the game for more years than i care to remember. And the W Indies have always played "cheerful" cricket.But backed up with a steely determination.And talent. Gayle at times looks so laid back that i think he is about to keel over,Every time you think W Indies cricket is going to burst back on to the top again,it shoots itself in the foot. Are the continual disagreements between the players and the board,helping?

Blimey, Chanderpaul lasted five balls this time; the big three have scored 46 runs between them in the match (28 of them in Gayle's first innings).

179/5 - Century partnership for Nash & Ramdin.

The ECB will be hoping the match stretches into Day 4, if England win tonight ticket holders are due a refund!

Thats probably why RavBop was bowling!

Wonder what the wicket at Durham will be like.A result wicket??

Last time West Indies toured England won despite losing a day to the weather.

Collingwood produced one of his rare significant performances. :ph34r:

Green, always is up there. Could be over in 2 days if the WIndies take the same attitude.

It is early in the season so i wouldn't expect a huge amount of bounce,still i wouldnt buy a ticket after the third day. I will have a look and see what sort of results there have been there so far this season.

Just played my first ever game of cricket today

Out for a 4th ball duck coming in at No 8 :ph34r:

Fielded pretty well though, so overall rather enjoyed it.

Good stuff, glad you enjoyed it. Glad someone got a game this weekend in spite of the crappy weather.