The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Good work England, especially pleased to see Cook get some runs, hope he can make it a biggie too, which is something he's failed to do thus far - it's his ninth century but only the third time he's passed 120 and he's yet to reach 150.

Day 1 England - 302/2

I haven't been so disappointed with a performance like West Indies' today since Saints on Saturday. B) 1000 runs would be a possibility if England were interested - but more likely a declaration around tea tommorow with England somewhere around 550.

Do the Windies want to be here? It doesn't look like it.

What's to come from the West Indies? A couple of cheep & cheerful Innings, no doubt, with the game struggling to make it into Sunday. :(

It's grim stuff from the Windies. They really do wish they were elsewhere quite obviously. It's really sad, I grew up with them being an utterly fearsome side, a fast bowling battery that were notorious headhunters and wonderful batsmen. They are just a disinterested shambles just now.

Do you know Ed Taylor? Think it's Kirrie he plays for but i'm not sure. English lad, fast bowler?

Small world!

Ed's the lad responsible for getting me involved.

I work in the same Department as him. It all came about on a work night out where i drunkenly said i quite fancied a game.

He does indeed play for Kirrie. Absolute cricket fanatic!

I think England should just try and bat for the full 5 days.

It was extra embarrassing for the Windies how they all found a bit extra when Anderson came in.

I think there will be little play today.Rain.Rain and more Rain.

by the way, Scotland v Middlesex at Grange CC, Stockbridge, Edinburgh. Thursday(today) 10.45am. £15 adults. Hughes of the australian test team will be batting for middlesex, as will eoin morgan of the england side. Supposed to be a nice day too.

Bit of a mauling, unfortunately. Middlesex were crawling along at a modest rate (but not losing wickets) until Shaun Udal came in and started battering the ball around right, left and centre. What looked at one point like it might have been around 220 ended up 280, helped by some dreadful fielding - Scotland must have dropped half a dozen very catchable balls, with Udal the main beneficiary. As anyone who has ever watched Scotland bat will know, that is completely un-chaseable, and the Saltires were bowled out for not very much with fifteen overs remaining. Probably the major positive was a decent innings for Ryan Watson (47 I think). Gavin Hamilton, Rhino's replacement as captain, went for a duck before I'd even made it back from my visit to the pub during lunch...

Stumps - Day 2

England 302/2 (90.0 ov)

Better day for the West Indies.

Draw must be back on as a possibilty, Cook & Anderson the ideal starting pair from a West Indies POV.

Will resume my raindance tomorrow morning.

Stumps - Day 2

England 302/2 (90.0 ov)

Better day for the West Indies.

Draw must be back on as a possibilty, Cook & Anderson the ideal starting pair from a West Indies POV.

Will resume my raindance tomorrow morning.

Very good. I fear that is the only way they will win..

Very good. I fear that is the only way they will win..

The only way they'll win is if they draw?

England should bat (weather permitting) for 2.5 sessions tomorrow, if they manage that they will seal the series win and have 2 days of largely bowling practice.

Forecast for the weekend looks muck as well, if the next 2 days are rained off maybe they should just call it a draw and play a 20/20 on the last day so Chris Gayle feels it was worth his while coming over from the IPL.

Small world!

Ed's the lad responsible for getting me involved.

I work in the same Department as him. It all came about on a work night out where i drunkenly said i quite fancied a game.

He does indeed play for Kirrie. Absolute cricket fanatic!

Small world indeed! Just ask him about Ross and i'm sure he'll tell you all my deepest darkest secrets :lol:

Ed's a good lad. I've known him for a few years, we had a mutual friend in our uni days. Play cricket with him most Tuesday nights (not seriously just for a laugh) and play 5-a-side football with him aswell. Top bloke and a cricket fanatic as you say.

If you really want to rile him ask him if he's got Ashes tickets :lol: He moved heaven and earth to try and get them without luck. I got one after my football manager's mate pulled out of their big squad's trip down to Cardiff for the first test in July. Ed's face when I told him was a fuckin picture haha!

Weather looking brighter today.

Given that Hugh Morris said this series was preparation for the Ashes the lost day will provide a better test (sic) of England's ability to force a win with the clock ticking.

Although the Wisden Trophy will be changing hands again if the West Indies could come out of the six (seven if you prefer) Tests with an aggregate score of 1-1 it'd be a creditable performance overall.

First hour - England 53/1 in 10 overs.

England certainly playing with a bit of urgency, other than going slow it's hard to see what tactics the West Indies have. :(

Edited by btb

Fuckin' hell Edwards.

Bowl short-of-a-length, 3/4 inches outside off stump (it's a Test match you're gonna get away with it) and set the field accordingly - wide second slip, deep gully, cover, third man. Anything down the leg side, anything that can be driven is just poor bowling.

Cook goes for 160, 411/4 at lunch. Good little session given there were only 25 overs, and the threatened rain has so far stayed off.

More forecast though, and especially tomorrow, so we'll have to rely on the West Indies collapsing again if there's to be a result.

Small world indeed! Just ask him about Ross and i'm sure he'll tell you all my deepest darkest secrets :lol:

Ed's a good lad. I've known him for a few years, we had a mutual friend in our uni days. Play cricket with him most Tuesday nights (not seriously just for a laugh) and play 5-a-side football with him aswell. Top bloke and a cricket fanatic as you say.

If you really want to rile him ask him if he's got Ashes tickets :lol: He moved heaven and earth to try and get them without luck. I got one after my football manager's mate pulled out of their big squad's trip down to Cardiff for the first test in July. Ed's face when I told him was a fuckin picture haha!

He did say he was trying with little success to get his hands on some!!

I'll no doubt see him tomorrow as we've got a game in Kirrie (not unless this bloody weather improves!)

He sometimes plays fives with us in Forfar as well, though not nearly as much as he used to.

I'll tell him you said hi, and also mention the ticket thing for extra comedy value :lol::lol:

Day 1 England - 302/2

I haven't been so disappointed with a performance like West Indies' today since Saints on Saturday. B) 1000 runs would be a possibility if England were interested - but more likely a declaration around tea tommorow with England somewhere around 550.

Do the Windies want to be here? It doesn't look like it.

What's to come from the West Indies? A couple of cheep & cheerful Innings, no doubt, with the game struggling to make it into Sunday. :(

24 hours out but England declare on 569/6.

Play on up till 7pm, weather permitting.

Don't feel West Indies can afford to lose more than 2 wickets if they're to salvage a draw.

68/3 :(

WTF is Sarwan who's always been more of a grafter doing with a Strike Rate of 80.00? :(

Edited by btb