The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I thought they'd include Symonds when it came to it too, but no matter.

It might be a very good squad but there are more uncertainties about it than has usually been the case with Ashes squads of recent years - how good wille Clark and Lee be after injury, can Hussey refind his form, will Hughes continue his form or can England exploit his technical weaknesses, can they get enough of a return from the part-time spinners in Clarke and Katich? And so on. If it all comes togther and Aus play at their best then England probably can't match them, but I'm expecting it to be close.

I reckon the Aussie side will be

Hughes

Katich

Ponting

Hussy

Clarke

North/Watson

Haddin

Johnson

Lee/Haurtiz

Siddle

Clark

At least thats the side I'd least like to see from and England point of View, I don't really rate McDonald, Hauritz or Hilfenhaus very highly, none of them would have gotten near the aussie side of 05.

Well the one day,ers were a bit one sided.Im sorry the W Indies weren't up for it i love watching them play.Lets hope the turn up for the rest of the summer.

England will certainly feel a bit more confident,even the one day side has performed.Interesting times.

Aside from wouldn't-it-be-nice-if-Scotland-did-well, does anyone actually give a toss about this world cup?

Not particularly. I hope England do OK but apart from that.

Andrew Symonds has been sent home by Australia for disciplinary reasons ahead of the World Twenty20 tournament

Rumoured to involve alcohol. He must be nearing the end of his international career...

Aside from wouldn't-it-be-nice-if-Scotland-did-well, does anyone actually give a toss about this world cup?

Not really. Ever since the horrible IPL started, I have developed a bit of a hatred for T20*. Give me Test cricket any day of the week B)

*To be honest I don't mind the English county T20 but the IPL leaves me feeling cold.

He must be nearing the end of his international career...

That will be the end of it if there's been another incident, surely his last chance.

That will be the end of it if there's been another incident, surely his last chance.

Pretty much what the aussie media are currently saying. Apparently it was a pretty small offence which would usually involve a fine or a smack on the wrist but it's his continual problems that have made this the 'straw that has broken the camel's back'.

His contract extension from Cricket Australia is to be withdrawn and it will be the end for him and Australia.......but he'll probably be back IMH unqualified O!

• 2 weeks later...

The domestic 20/20 restarts today.Sky 17.30

Still Ashes just around the corner.Have the Aussies played any practise matches yet or are they just relaxing in Leicester?

The England squad is along expected lines -

No Vaughan or Harmison and the only real surprise is that Monty is in as a 3rd spinner when both Swann and Rashid have had far better summers so far and I don't think there will be a pitch that requires all 3.

It'll be interesting to see what England do in the 1st Test. The wicket in Cardiff has been causing quite a lot of controversy and has loads of turn in it. You would think then that England should go with 2 spinners but then this is England we're talking about and they're not really reknowned for doing things sensibly.

1st test team should be :- Strauss, Cook, Bopara, Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Panesar.

I would expect to see Panesar omitted from that and Sidebottom brought in.

The good news for England is that the Aussies don't have a decent spinner. Warne would've skittled England out single handedly if he was playing.