The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Ooooooh, Harper has made a right ricket there.

The man is a plonker.

133/5

Doesn't sound like there have been many demons in the pitch either, just South Africa have bowled better than we've batted. Hopefully we can struggle our way to 250 and give ourselves at least something to bowl at.

Was surprised to see Onions dropped altho' if you look at England's tour stats he had the poorest record of the four bowlers but I still thought they'd stick with him - you've almost got to wonder if Sidebottom wasn't picked for his batting prowess! :ph34r:

I suppose it's the ultimate test (sic) of England's strategy of going in with only four bowlers and little in the way of backup from the batsmen. I rather reckon they got away with it at Centurion and Cape Town but we shall see.

Day 1 Stumps

England 180

South Africa 29/0 (12.0 ov)

Edited by btb

20-0, mmm - could they build up a lead on Day 2 and still not leave enought time to bowl England out.

Great catch to dismiss Strauss. But so many of the other wickets were given up far too easily. Trott looked completely out of his depth. Pietersen,well he has done very little,maybe his place should be considered?

Big day for England,they have to bowl well,but i cannot see SA making the same basic errors or deploying the poor shot selection.

One thing for sure this is a result pitch.

Guest The Phoenix

Great catch to dismiss Strauss.

One thing for sure this is a result pitch.

Has to be one of the best I've seen in nearly 40 years of watching test cricket.

Not so sure that the pitch had much, if anything, to do with England's capitulation but it certainly won't get any better as the Test progresses.

England's best chance of winning the series is the weather.

Has to be one of the best I've seen in nearly 40 years of watching test cricket.

Not so sure that the pitch had much, if anything, to do with England's capitulation but it certainly won't get any better as the Test progresses.

England's best chance of winning the series is the weather.

The catch was excellent, but England were terrrible generally.

Thats South Africa on 172-1 now, in 51 overs. Could see this one being embarassing for England.

Not much fun this, they're somewhere past our score, Smith has another ton and still only one wicket down.

Bif of controversy about his non-dismissal earlier but basically they're just playing better than us, I've written the match off already. I guess I'd have settled for a drawn series before the start of it but it's a bit disappointing nonetheless. We're not going to win the Ashes down under with this bowling attack.

England 180

South Africa 208/2 (59.3 ov)

Match delayed by rain, heavy rain at that - maybe England's best hope now!

For the third game in four tests England's bowling attack has not matched SA's - whatever happens here I reckon they'll have to rethink their strategy.

Edited by btb

A quite monstrous thunderstorm, the ground is under water, prospects for any play for the rest of the day "bleak".

How bitter would you be as part of the SA camp. Clearly better in three of the four tests, thwarted twice by a no. 11 and now by the weather. Topping batting and bowling averages yet still losing 0-1.

:lol:

Hmmn, their best chance, if the weather wipes out the rest of today, is to batter up to a lead of 150+ as quick as poss, the pout England under pressure for a minimum of four and a half sessions.

Different scenario to the one which would have obtained without this storm, they;d have batted today and half of tomorrow, put on a lead of about 250-300, the bowl again in a much stronger position...