The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I like test cricket but england's series against australia and SA highlighted some of it's problems. the got win and a draw despite being clealry inferior in every department to those two sides. is it too much to ask that a series that lasts a month or longer ends up with the better side winning? obviously test cricket can be great but the vagaries of the weather, crap wickets and the ability of guys like collingwood to block for days goes against.

Last summers Australians had glaring weaknesses - only one reliable opening batsman and a fragile batting line-up but Swann was definetely the better spinner, and England's lower order (sic) clearly made the better contribution. I would agree Australia were the better team (marginally) but England took their chances.

As for SA Steyn wasn't fit until the Third Test, Kallis didn't bowl in the First and was also not fully fit (for bowling) until the Third, they also picked the wrong bowler, Ntini instead of de Wet in the Second Test. I'd agree the full strength SA side were clearly the stronger side but again you have to praise England for taking their chance in the Second. 8)

The vagaries of the the weather, pitches and the ability of guys like Collingwood etc to rescue a draw from seemingly lost causes are what Test cricket is about.

I can't agree with "clearly inferior" in either case, though I can see how someone might think it of the South African series.

Bangladesh series: I din't actually see more than a couple of half-days of it, was mostly reliant on TMS. But from what I saw and as far as I could tell we did as well as could be hoped on those pitches. Carberry didn't look comfortable and I suspect he'll be a one-test wonder, maybe Tredwell too if onyl because it's hard to see us needing him, but Finn might have the makings of a Test player, did well to get some movement with the old ball (and a Kookaburra at that). Still far from sure about Trott, I'm hoping we can find someone better, but it looks like Bell has finally found his niche lower down the order. Swann is a marvel, rarely looks to be getting that much turn and I keep expecting his run of form to end but he keeps coming up with the goods, and this knack of taking a wicket in the opening over of a spell is almost supernatural.

But the big plus was Bresnan. Wouldn't read too much into his 91 in those conditions - though it's nice to know he can hold a bat - but his bowling in unhelpful conditions was surprisingly good. Be nice if he could find a bit more pace, you can't help thinking the Aussies would lap it up, but I should think he's won himself a berth in the team for the start of the summer even with Anderson and Onions to come back in. It might well allow us to rest Broad for the return series against Bangladesh which I gather was the plan, circumstances permitting.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to do with cricket as such (as there’s not much happening apart from round 147 of the IPL), but I quite like the story of Shoaib Malik being accused of bigamy… then saying that he got married over the telephone so it doesn’t count.

Graeme Swann’s (excellent) twitter page has also gone silent since he got charged with drink-driving.

anyone else surprised to see matty prior in the wisden world team of they year?

wacko.gif

he's not in it. ms dhoni is the wk in the team of the year. prior was one of the cricketers of the year but that is a bit of a duff award considering you can only win it once. james anderson is in the XI ahead of dale steyn though which is ridiculous.

in the ashes australia had 7 of the top 8 run scorers and the top three wicket takers. i think most people want to see a contest of skills and test cricket despite it's mammouth scale often doesn't deliver that. it's deeply unsatisfying to follow days of play and end up feeling the result was decided more by the weather or the wicket than by the players.

Edited by T_S_A_R

he's not in it. ms dhoni is the wk in the team of the year. prior was one of the cricketers of the year but that is a bit of a duff award considering you can only win it once. james anderson is in the XI ahead of dale steyn though which is ridiculous.

in the ashes australia had 7 of the top 8 run scorers and the top three wicket takers. i think most people want to see a contest of skills and test cricket despite it's mammouth scale often doesn't deliver that. it's deeply unsatisfying to follow days of play and end up feeling the result was decided more by the weather or the wicket than by the players.

Top wicket takers and top run scorers hardly tell the full story performance wise though do they?

I don't mind the International T20 as you know who everyone plays for (well, apart from Dirk Nannes)- the IPL / endless domestic stuff grates a bit though.

None of the 4 teams expected to get pumped out at the 1st stage have caused an upset as yet.

Australia have just racked up 191 against Pakistan, despite the last over being a 5 wicket maiden, WWWW.W, albeit the 3rd and 4th were runouts so no hat-trick.

• 2 weeks later...

England already through to the final following a piss-easy win against the Sri Lankans. However, have just watched a brilliant semi-final between Pakistan and the Aussies. Pakistan racked up 191 from their 20 overs, and had the Aussies on the ropes with 4 wickets down relatively early. Somehow Michael Hussey smashes 60odds of 24 balls to see them home with a ball to spare. 18 needed off that last over:

Jesus. Final should be terrific.

England already through to the final following a piss-easy win against the Sri Lankans. However, have just watched a brilliant semi-final between Pakistan and the Aussies. Pakistan racked up 191 from their 20 overs, and had the Aussies on the ropes with 4 wickets down relatively early. Somehow Michael Hussey smashes 60odds of 24 balls to see them home with a ball to spare. 18 needed off that last over:

Jesus. Final should be terrific.

Unbelievable stuff,and with England now with a settled team the final should be a cracker.