The Cricket Thread

bewlay

A genuinely remarkable day's play, which showcased why the longer form of the game will always be the best. That's 2 summers in a row Broad has stuttered his way through the series only to catch fire in the last match.

On the other side, Amir looks as if he could be a megastar in the making over the next 10 years.

A genuinely remarkable day's play, which showcased why the longer form of the game will always be the best. That's 2 summers in a row Broad has stuttered his way through the series only to catch fire in the last match.

On the other side, Amir looks as if he could be a megastar in the making over the next 10 years.

Incredible 8th wicket fightback from England and will probably now see them close out the series. If conditions are similar to those England faced early doors, it'll be hooping around and i fully expect Anderson in particular to do well.

Amir was pretty much unplayable in the morning session, Asif provided some decent back up. Pakistan could actually be a formidable test outfit if the second string attack was a bit better, and they could learn test match batting.

Brilliant day's play. In what has been a good series, I think. Test match cricket is by far the best form of the game, so long as the pitches have just a little bit in them. The West Indies/Sri Lanka pitches help nobody and should result in fines.

I've never been able to decide whether Broad's crap or brilliant. I'd suggest this knock makes him virtually undroppable for a good while.

This is taking the piss!

Absolutely incredible recovery. I don't think I've ever seen an 8th wicket partnership drag a team from out of the mire so spectacularly.

Might as well try and bat out today (or even up to tea) and use the final two days to bowl them out twice.

This is taking the piss!

Absolutely incredible recovery. I don't think I've ever seen an 8th wicket partnership drag a team from out of the mire so spectacularly.

Might as well try and bat out today (or even up to tea) and use the final two days to bowl them out twice.

Right now pretty much every run breaks another record. Already it's the highest test 9th wicket partnership, Broad has beaten his father's highest score, and is only five runs away from the all time test record for a number 9.

Right now pretty much every run breaks another record. Already it's the highest test 8th wicket partnership, Broad has beaten his father's highest score, and is only five runs away from the all time test record for a number 9.

He's finally gone to a reviewed lbw...

If they could push on to at least 475, they will consider that a recovery well done. If Swann can get something out of the pitch they might have a whiff of a chance at forcing a result here. Can't see the fast bowlers being too effective given the conditions.

Just a heads up. According to Jonathan Agnew on Twitter, there's a story breaking about Pakistani players and betting on the England series. Draw your own conclusions.

Bloody hell! It's always something with Pakistan, are they becoming more trouble than they're worth?

It's just broken on the BBC website, it's to do with no-balls according to them.

Bloody hell! It's always something with Pakistan, are they becoming more trouble than they're worth?

It's just broken on the BBC website, it's to do with no-balls according to them.

Fortunately it isn't to do with results. But Amir and Asif have been bowling an inordinate number of no balls. There was one today which was the best part of a yard past the crease, and the umpires definitely had a word with him. I hope this story isn't going where it looks like it's going.

Oh Dear...

Edited by Jim Pansy

Fortunately it isn't to do with results. But Amir has been bowling an inordinate number of no balls. There was one today which was the best part of a yard past the crease, and the umpires definitely had a word with him. I hope this story isn't going where it looks like it's going.

Oh Dear...

I didnae see any of the test today as I was playing my final league match of this season.sad.gif

That no-ball you describe sounds incredibly suspect, no way should a player of Test standard be that far off. Hasn't there also been times this week that the bowler's front foot has been quite far past the popping crease? Pakistan and controversy are never far from each other unfortunately.

:(

Either that, or banned for quite a while. That NOTW report does look pretty damning a la John Higgins. I've seen some big oversteps before, but that Amir one is ridiculous.

edit: I suppose the bowlers might be able to get away with it but the captain looks in deep doo-doo.

Edited by Fuctifano

:(

Either that, or banned for quite a while. That NOTW report does look pretty damning a la John Higgins. I've seen some big oversteps before, but that Amir one is ridiculous.

edit: I suppose the bowlers might be able to get away with it but the captain looks in deep doo-doo.

He's up to his neck in it. And it's sad, because amongst all the incompetence of his squad and selectors, Butt has come across as likeable and decent guy.

I'll do an edit too; tomorrow's play is going to be conducted underneath a horrible atmosphere.

Edited by Jim Pansy

Terrible news this. Betting is a huge and to a large degree unregulated market, in the sub continent. Criminal activity is rife. Young players are enticed to give info and then ensnared by the gangs. There may even be threats. But i think that if players are found guilty of this, then i think that there is little else that you can do but ban them for life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11122388

Edited by capybara