The Cricket Thread

bewlay

First test is beautifully poised just now.

England are rightly favourites from here in, but if NZ can polish the,off quickly tomorrow morning, chasing 270 ish. Mmmm.. never know.

Sounds like the NZ wicketkeeper could be a doubt to bat. Might be important. I can see England getting a lead of 275 and New Zealand hammering their way to a win, knowing Monday's a write-off weather wise.

been around the world to watch scotland and england and watched a fair few test matches in England

Must admit I prefer test match cricket

I don't like cricket.........

I love it! :D

Prefer test matches to the shorten versions although warming to 20/20.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

How many times in his career has that happened with Broad?

He is either brilliant or honking.

Yup. I guess he plays best when there's a bit of pressure on him, or perhaps only when he's completely heathy. The fact that he can bat a bit (more than a bit) has probably helped him hold his place. There have been times he could bowl for two weeks and not get a wicket, but then when he gets it right...

Yup. I guess he plays best when there's a bit of pressure on him, or perhaps only when he's completely heathy. The fact that he can bat a bit (more than a bit) has probably helped him hold his place. There have been times he could bowl for two weeks and not get a wicket, but then when he gets it right...

The first time he really did it was when he ripped through the middle order of the Aussies in a test match many years ago. Prior to this match changing spell he was tipped to get the boot. There is a good article on the enigma that is Stuart Broad on Cricinfo at the moment.

The first time he really did it was when he ripped through the middle order of the Aussies in a test match many years ago. Prior to this match changing spell he was tipped to get the boot. There is a good article on the enigma that is Stuart Broad on Cricinfo at the moment.

That was the first innings of the last and deciding test of 2009 ashes, utterly destroyed the aussie top order including Ponting who he always seemed to get out

I felt that they were trying to turn Broad into an out and out all-rounder like Flintoff and he needed to concentrate more on his bowling. He used to be an opening batsmen in the youth teams but his bowling has improved a lot in the last 5 years.

He also used to have a problem with his temperament, i remember him mouthing off at Ganguly (i think) and the next ball he just smacked him for 6. But he seems to have worked on that too, its hard to be the tough guy when you look like Andy from Toy Story 3.

I felt that they were trying to turn Broad into an out and out all-rounder like Flintoff and he needed to concentrate more on his bowling. He used to be an opening batsmen in the youth teams but his bowling has improved a lot in the last 5 years.

He also used to have a problem with his temperament, i remember him mouthing off at Ganguly (i think) and the next ball he just smacked him for 6. But he seems to have worked on that too, its hard to be the tough guy when you look like Andy from Toy Story 3.

This is all true. He's far too posh to have anger management problems.

Glorious days. It's all about reward and investment. They've picked him, developed him and going to stick with him. Like Finn. There are better bowlers in form at the moment, but he's the one they've gone for.

No pressure then

Perhaps, but I don't think it's an unreasonable statement. I think you'll find plenty of people said the same about Alistair Cook very early on his career. Root looks easily the best batsman we've produced since him. Would you disagree?

Perhaps, but I don't think it's an unreasonable statement. I think you'll find plenty of people said the same about Alistair Cook very early on his career. Root looks easily the best batsman we've produced since him. Would you disagree?

I think you're spot on with your assessment. Get him opening where he belongs, and drop the pedestrian Compton for a hopefully soon to be fit KP and that's a good top six.