The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Henry....what would be a good innings here? I'm guessing 350/370 but I don't understand cricket so well.

You can never judge a pitch until both sides have batted. At a guess, 400 would be about par, but there's a lot more swing (movement in the air) than you would usually see in these conditions. England's bowlers are far better at taking advantage of that than New Zealand's. If England get 350 from here, their bowlers will have batted well.

ETA Within 45 minutes, this seems conservative. Such is the ebb and flow of test cricket.

Edited by Savage Henry

no, but there's nothing to gain from such predictions. Cook could conceivably be skipper for another 8-10 years, who knows what could happen in that time.

Here's hoping. But there's nothing wrong with putting faith in a supremely talented batsman.

Is it just me, or do New Zealand pick up an inordinate amount of injuries? I seem to recall going to a test at Trent Bridge last time they were here and they picked up three injuries on the first day, leaving them with bit part bowlers. That looks like Bracewell's done something now.

Very good days cricket, evens for me. NZ did well with the new ball and ENG did well against the old. Key partnership this one - if Priory and Swanny can stick together for an hour they'll take the game away from NZ but on the other hand if NZ are batting before noon they'll be right in it.

Edited by Christophe

Very good days cricket, evens for me. NZ did well with the new ball and ENG did well against the old. Key partnership this one - if Priory and Swanny can stick together for an hour they'll take the game away from NZ but on the other hand if NZ are batting before noon they'll be right in it.

It was brilliant entertainment. Enough in The pitch to keep the bowlers interested, but fair to the batsmen if they got in. Good test cricket is as entertaining as any sport.

Would be a shame if the rain intervenes again, because this is a result wicket.

Edited by Savage Henry

I agree that it was a great days cricket and also it will be about what team makes the better start of day 3.

The weather is fine for day 3 but day 4 & 5 the rain could cause some problems from seeing a winner in this test.

Excellent bowling performance again, however really can't understand the rational in not enforcing the follow-on.

Batting practice for Compton. Pure and simple. They can't lose from here, so a draw's as good as a win. Would be great if they go out for a slog, put on 200 in two hours and then get stuck into them. England are bowling magnificently. 350 is, to return to a previous question, evidently a good score on this pitch. Great test wicket.

Batting practice for Compton. Pure and simple. They can't lose from here, so a draw's as good as a win. Would be great if they go out for a slog, put on 200 in two hours and then get stuck into them. England are bowling magnificently. 350 is, to return to a previous question, evidently a good score on this pitch. Great test wicket.

Just seems a tad negative. It should be about winning test matches putting a marker down, getting a run of momentum going and having teams fearing England.

Just seems a tad negative. It should be about winning test matches putting a marker down, getting a run of momentum going and having teams fearing England.

Entirely agree. We'll see how it goes.

Entirely agree. We'll see how it goes.

Trott entering into the spirit of Headingly and playing like Boycott. If CVook gets out swiftly tomorrow they should send for a Botham type to run the fucker out.

Was thinking about going down tomorrow with one of my mates but I dont think we are going to bother now. I'll just settle for work and TMS.

Compton had better not be starting any of the ashes games. He has been found out and his head is a mess as well. Test cricket sorts out the wheat from the chaff and he is chaff.

Compton had better not be starting any of the ashes games. He has been found out and his head is a mess as well. Test cricket sorts out the wheat from the chaff and he is chaff.

With KP back for the ashes I'd imagine he will come in for Compton, with Root moving up to open.

With KP back for the ashes I'd imagine he will come in for Compton, with Root moving up to open.

They have a bit of a problem with Pietersens lack of cricket since his op. He hasnt got very long to get a bit of cricket under his belt before it now. And with Bell looking a bit shit since his nightmare in the desert against Pakistan then England could be a bit dodgy.

I agree with shoving Root in to open, although I'm not sure how many options they really have. I suppose Trott COULD go in with Cook..

England might have a few decisions on their hands as the ashes series plays out.

Edited by Reynard

Guest The Phoenix

They have a bit of a problem with Pietersens lack of cricket since his op.

KP without warm up cricket is more than good enough to be inked in to the team.

They have a bit of a problem with Pietersens lack of cricket since his op. He hasnt got very long to get a bit of cricket under his belt before it now. And with Bell looking a bit shit since his nightmare in the desert against Pakistan then England could be a bit dodgy.

I agree with shoving Root in to open, although I'm not sure how many options they really have. I suppose Trott COULD go in with Cook..

England might have a few decisions on their hands as the ashes series plays out.

I think it will have to be Root opening, after all it is his regular position. I would keep Trott where he is at present.

Even a KP with little cricket will be better than Compton who is quite frankly dreadful. Trott yesterday reminded me of Chris Tavare. Bell has slipped under the radar regarding his piss poor performances, though he always seems to come up with a score when the threat of the axe is hanging over him.

Work to be done with the England top six