The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I think it will have to be Root opening, after all it is his regular position. I would keep Trott where he is at present.

Even a KP with little cricket will be better than Compton who is quite frankly dreadful. Trott yesterday reminded me of Chris Tavare. Bell has slipped under the radar regarding his piss poor performances, though he always seems to come up with a score when the threat of the axe is hanging over him.

Work to be done with the England top six

Yeah I think Trott will stay put, he is a good number three. f**k knows what he was up to last night all the same, England had a bit of momentum with Cook scoring well, then Trott came in and started defending long hops, full tosses and half volleys. :lol: We should see a bit of a thrash in the morning session today depending on the weather forecast and maybe a declaration before lunch which in theory gives England five sessions to get NZ out. I reckon they will do it today especially as the forecast for tomorrow is supposed to be shite.

I dont understand why they declared yesterday either, unless it was to have a last look at Compton before sending him back to the counties :P But I did feel sorry for the guy, you could tell he knew he basically had to get a big score or he was toast and he batted like his arms were tied together. But its the toughest of sports in that sense, and he has failed to deliver.

If the weather stays ok today then England will win, probably today, NZ's batting is a fucking abortion. And thats a shame actually as their bowling has been very decent across both series really.

Compton has been mince, cheerio to him.

Looks like the declaration will be either over lunch or very soon afterwards. That was a better session for England, Cook gets his ton and Trott has been in a better frame of mind too. Maybe give him a few overs after lunch for a bit of a slog and see if he can get the hundred too?

Looks like the declaration will be either over lunch or very soon afterwards. That was a better session for England, Cook gets his ton and Trott has been in a better frame of mind too. Maybe give him a few overs after lunch for a bit of a slog and see if he can get the hundred too?

No just declare. Five or six overs at least would be wasted waiting for him getting his ton. The way I see it it's Trott's own fault for not getting a ton after his efforts of yesterday evening.

Ridiculously late declaration is going to knacker England here.

Poor captaincy and coaching on this occasion it really was.

Absolutely bewildering to bat on for so long with the forecast as it was and the general ineptness of the NZ Batting line up.

Poor show.

If England roll over the tail in an hour in the morning, it'll look like a tremendous decision. It seems to be playing out well for England, you can't declare earlier on account of what the weather may or may not be like.

If England roll over the tail in an hour in the morning, it'll look like a tremendous decision. It seems to be playing out well for England, you can't declare earlier on account of what the weather may or may not be like.

The money is on it being a washout like day one. You have to take the forecast into account as it's part of the nuances of test match cricket. Irrespective of that is the fact that setting a team like NZ 468 is unbelievable.

The money is on it being a washout like day one. You have to take the forecast into account as it's part of the nuances of test match cricket. Irrespective of that is the fact that setting a team like NZ 468 is unbelievable.

Totally disagree. England have already won the series. From England's perspective, a 1-0 series win is the same as a 2-0 series win. If this was Australia, nobody would quibble about the declaration. If the weather was set fair tomorrow, nobody would quibble.

Totally disagree. England have already won the series. From England's perspective, a 1-0 series win is the same as a 2-0 series win. If this was Australia, nobody would quibble about the declaration. If the weather was set fair tomorrow, nobody would quibble.

But it's not Australia, and the weather isn't set fair.

England should have enforced the follow on, the game would be over by now.

Not if a return to the number one test side in the world is the eventual aim. It's about winning test matches and putting a marker down. The weather isn't set fair and it's a poor Kiwi side that if a correct declaration had been made would already be reflecting on a two nil defeat this evening.

More refreshingly isn't it a joy to be arguing about potential victories as opposed to the barren years of the nineties. :P

But it's not Australia, and the weather isn't set fair.

England should have enforced the follow on, the game would be over by now.

The weather was supposed to be fine afternoon and evening on the first day. You can't take the weather into account in making an early declaration.

Not if a return to the number one test side in the world is the eventual aim. It's about winning test matches and putting a marker down. The weather isn't set fair and it's a poor Kiwi side that if a correct declaration had been made would already be reflecting on a two nil defeat this evening.

More refreshingly isn't it a joy to be arguing about potential victories as opposed to the barren years of the nineties. :P

Well quite. I heard Root compared with Atherton the other day. Thought that was terribly unkind! Atherton's a great commentator (as most of them are) but he was a sullen captain in a hapless team.

Well quite. I heard Root compared with Atherton the other day. Thought that was terribly unkind! Atherton's a great commentator (as most of them are) but he was a sullen captain in a hapless team.

Poor old Athers. Look at some of the bowlers he had to face. McGrath & Warne, Donald & Pollock. Waqar & Wasim, Walsh & Ambrose, Murali & Vaas.

He had the world on his shoulders captaining a poor side and with his long standing back trouble. Vintage Atherton was of course his magnificent innings in SA.

I wonder how well Atherton would have done if he had had a decent team around him. That's cricket though.

Young Root looks like a cheery sort, something that could never be said about Athers.