The Cricket Thread

bewlay

He wouldn't be there for his batting.

Who bowls 20 overs an hour? Or even close??

The team do....try bowling sometime.....its actually hard work. The whole mechanism isn't natural hence it hurts after a while....never mind charging in and throwing at 90mph!

I like Panesar & would argue for him in Idia but not here....not instead of Swann.

The team do....try bowling sometime.....its actually hard work. The whole mechanism isn't natural hence it hurts after a while....never mind charging in and throwing at 90mph!

I like Panesar & would argue for him in Idia but not here....not instead of Swann.

:lol:

How would you know i've never bowled?? Brilliant! The team bowl around twelve overs an hour and who said Panesar instead of Swann?

Unbecredible.

:lol:

How would you know i've never bowled?? Brilliant! The team bowl around twelve overs an hour and who said Panesar instead of Swann?

Unbecredible.

Its usually 19-20 or they get fined for slow play.

Its a fact that bowling conditions in England are more suited to seamers....hot & dry pitches such as in the sub Continant are for spinners.....why didn't McGill play in more tests for Australia if this were the case?

Its a fact that bowling conditions in England are more suited to seamers....hot & dry pitches such as in the sub Continant are for spinners.....why didn't McGill play in more tests for Australia if this were the case?

Nah mate, seriously it's nothing like 19 or 20. That would amount to around 120 or more in a day.

You want one spinner, I want two, lets leave it that eh?

Nah mate, seriously it's nothing like 19 or 20. That would amount to around 120 or more in a day. 

Don't worry about it mate....it a difference of opinion....part of life :)

Live & let live!

Also, England did get lucky with the timing of the break- if they'd played on for another half hour (I know they played half an hour extra anyway) I'm almost certain they would have lost as Anderson was the only one that looked like getting a wicket. Wonder if the Aussies regret not trying to push on and finish it before 1.30pm?

Agreed... if they'd played right through lunch Australia would have won IMO. Mind you, if that had been a possibility, Cook might have taken Anderson off earlier than he did and spelled him a bit more so he could have another dart near the end.

No team has ever bowled 20 overs an hour since the 1840s.

It's usually around 14 an hour, which is why play almost always continues well past the scheduled close.

Two spinners would be a dreadful option for England. Joe Root is easily good enough to play a part time spinner role and Panesar can't bat or field.

14 overs seems the norm these days. Stu McGill was unlucky as Australia had a wealth of seam options meaning they only ever played one spinner and unfortunately for him we all know that guy wasn't too shabby.

Also McGill pulled out of a tour to Zimbabwe for political reasons which didn't endear him to the selectors.

Two spinners would be a dreadful option for England. Joe Root is easily good enough to play a part time spinner role and Panesar can't bat or field.

Spot on plus Pietersen is an option that should be used more often.

England will never ever play Prior at 6.

England might play two spinners on a rank turner, but I reckon they'd fancy RaviBop at 6 to do that, to give Anderson/Broad some relief.

Compton should've played ahead of Bairstow.

Just saying on the radio Anderson bowled over 50 overs this test. That just can't continue. England will be hoping they bat first again at Lord's to give him another couple of days rest.

I've just always got this nagging feeling that Stuart Broad is shite. I don't know if the stats back this up, but just when he looks like he's going to get dropped he nabs a couple of wickets or gets some runs.

Trott and Pieterson can also turn their arm over if necessary - though usually if the light is dodgy or the over rate is getting a bit slow. Cook would have had a problem today if Panesar was in the team - where best to hide him and prevent his blundering style in the field from costing valuable runs.

Edit: Tynieness gets there first re Pietersen.

Edited by trainspotter

England will never ever play Prior at 6.

England might play two spinners on a rank turner, but I reckon they'd fancy RaviBop at 6 to do that, to give Anderson/Broad some relief.

Compton should've played ahead of Bairstow.

I think Compton is benefitting from the "No one ever plays badly in the stands" role. He's just not good enough. I dont think he'd have done any better than Bairstow.

I actually think long term Alex Hales could be worth a pop opening, if you move Root down to 6.

Just saying on the radio Anderson bowled over 50 overs this test. That just can't continue. England will be hoping they bat first again at Lord's to give him another couple of days rest.

I've just always got this nagging feeling that Stuart Broad is shite. I don't know if the stats back this up, but just when he looks like he's going to get dropped he nabs a couple of wickets or gets some runs.

Broad is definitely an enigma. Should produce much more often but seems to just do enough to maintain his place in the side. He is a bit Bell like in the respect that anytime their place is under threat they have a good match.

I think Compton is benefitting from the "No one ever plays badly in the stands" role. He's just not good enough. I dont think he'd have done any better than Bairstow.

I actually think long term Alex Hales could be worth a pop opening, if you move Root down to 6.

I would like to see Root continue to open after all it's his position for Yorkshire.

Same here, he did OK with the bat this time and his bowling wasn't too bad on a flat slow pitch. I no longer slate him as every single time I have lashed out at him in frustration at being shite he goes on a match winning rampage.

Its worth remembering that the likes of Finn and Broad are not swing bowlers like Anderson so the help through the air wasn't going to be much help to them.

I think Finn will play at Lords, it will be quicker and it will be bouncier which will suit him.

Same here, he did OK with the bat this time and his bowling wasn't too bad on a flat slow pitch. I no longer slate him as every single time I have lashed out at him in frustration at being shite he goes on a match winning rampage.

Its worth remembering that the likes of Finn and Broad are not swing bowlers like Anderson so the help through the air wasn't going to be much help to them.

I think Finn will play at Lords, it will be quicker and it will be bouncier which will suit him.

England's selectors are very conservative. When you are in the side, it's really difficult to get dropped. I think Finn will play as well. Depends how he is mentally - he looked today like he didn't want to bowl I thought.

It's a shame Tremlett got injured. When he played in Aus England were a much more balanced attack. He was a genuine fast wicket taker, that you could rely on not to get tonked around the park. In some ways Finn is just a poor man's Tremlett.

It is, but England have more options to open than they do at number 6.

I think Root can do a better job at 6 than Bairstow.

I agree with that and if there is a decent alternative to open then worth considering. Not the awful Compton or Michael Carberry please.