The Cricket Thread

bewlay

It is, but England have more options to open than they do at number 6.

I think Root can do a better job at 6 than Bairstow.

Bairstow is a one day player as far as Im concerned.

Its a fairly difficult test match to make a judgement on players though, the wicket was a b*****d to score on once the ball got worn, and the bowlers got nothing off the pitch at all, no pace, no bounce, no movement.

I took England 4-0 and 5-0 before the series started. I now wonder what kind of pitches they will produce if they win the next test match... could easily see a couple at the end becoming flat tracks Graham Hick could score a ton on.

I'm going to be interested to see the highest total Australia make in this test series. I don't think they will get past 350 in any innings.

England's selectors are very conservative. When you are in the side, it's really difficult to get dropped. I think Finn will play as well. Depends how he is mentally - he looked today like he didn't want to bowl I thought.

It's a shame Tremlett got injured. When he played in Aus England were a much more balanced attack. He was a genuine fast wicket taker, that you could rely on not to get tonked around the park. In some ways Finn is just a poor man's Tremlett.

Yeah Tremlett was looking a decent threat in the Ashes series in Australia where the wickets are faster and bouncier. I think even he would have struggle to do anything on that featherbed.

I think Finn is better than just being labelled a poor mans Tremlett to be honest. And lets face it, he had a hat trick ball in the first innings :P He actually reminds me a bit of Bob Willis on the days when his timing wasn't good. It can look clunky and horrible, but he is only 24, he does get wickets and on a surface with a bit of pace and bounce he is a major threat. I think that he suffers a bit because he really doesn't get movement through the air, its all off the wicket and nobody on either side was getting any movement on that. I dont think the likes of Onions or Bresnan are better than him. Tremlett might be, but it will be a test or two maybe before he comes back, I dont think they will want to rush him either as there is a lot of cricket these days and if you get a fast bowler that begins to break down it can be career ending if its not handled right.

I took England 4-0 and 5-0 before the series started. I now wonder what kind of pitches they will produce if they win the next test match... could easily see a couple at the end becoming flat tracks Graham Hick could score a ton on.

I'm going to be interested to see the highest total Australia make in this test series. I don't think they will get past 350 in any innings.

It will be their batting that lets them down by the look of it. Their bowling unit looked fairly promising for a bunch of kids really. They already showed they can take 20 wickets on a pitch designed not to be helping them specifically.

I just think he needs to learn his trade a bit more. If it was an away series to the Saffers or Windies, I think Finn would take 25 plus wickets, but England are preparing tracks to neutralise the Aussie quicks, which let's be honest are their only threat. Their batting is woeful.

Cricket is now my favourite sport to watch... I could take or leave a game of football, but nothing was going to stop me watching the last 2 days cricket.

Test Match Sofa as commentary with the Sky gimps muted. Bliss.

I just think he needs to learn his trade a bit more. If it was an away series to the Saffers or Windies, I think Finn would take 25 plus wickets, but England are preparing tracks to neutralise the Aussie quicks, which let's be honest are their only threat. Their batting is woeful.

He needs to be playing in these games, they either decide he is to be persevered with or you bin him. Statistically, he is good. He is a decent new ball bowler and he does get wickets. But yeah, he doesnt seem able to churn it out when the conditions dont suit. That doesnt mean Id turn to Onions or Bresnan, both of whom are getting better and better the longer they are out the side...

Cricket is now my favourite sport to watch... I could take or leave a game of football, but nothing was going to stop me watching the last 2 days cricket.

Test Match Sofa as commentary with the Sky gimps muted. Bliss.

I'm probably going to be ignoring the football completely while this series is going on, then there is the utter bliss of the return series. I fucking love lighting the fire and sitting in front of it watching the cricket at ridiculous hours of the night. Cricket has always been my favourite sport by a mile. And by cricket, I mean test match cricket.

If it wasnt for the cricket and tennis coverage, sky sports would have been binned years ago.

No team has ever bowled 20 overs an hour since the 1840s. 

It's usually around 14 an hour, which is why play almost always continues well past the scheduled close. 

14 overs seems the norm these days.  Stu McGill was unlucky as Australia had a wealth of seam options  meaning they only ever played one spinner and unfortunately for him we all know that guy wasn't too shabby.

Also McGill pulled out of a tour to Zimbabwe for political reasons which didn't endear him to the selectors.

Spot on plus Pietersen is an option that should be used more often.

Apologies.....I always thought it was nearer 19-20 overs....I stand corrected.

England's selectors are very conservative. When you are in the side, it's really difficult to get dropped. I think Finn will play as well. Depends how he is mentally - he looked today like he didn't want to bowl I thought.

It's a shame Tremlett got injured. When he played in Aus England were a much more balanced attack. He was a genuine fast wicket taker, that you could rely on not to get tonked around the park. In some ways Finn is just a poor man's Tremlett.

Feel a bit sorry for Tremlett, he should be in the good years of his bowling but he has been out a long long time. Plus at 31/2 compared to Finn who is just 24 you can see why they might persist with Finn a bit longer. He IS a strike bowler, who will go for runs, but he takes wickets too.

I'm probably going to be ignoring the football completely while this series is going on, then there is the utter bliss of the return series. I fucking love lighting the fire and sitting in front of it watching the cricket at ridiculous hours of the night. Cricket has always been my favourite sport by a mile. And by cricket, I mean test match cricket.

If it wasnt for the cricket and tennis coverage, sky sports would have been binned years ago.

Fully agree - but the pain-in-the-arse decision of when to stay up and when to go to bed when you've got work in the morning is a nightmare.

I am however starting to get annoyed by the English arrogance. I like that I want them to win (for once) but they're pushing it. Botham in particular is doing my head in.

Always the occupational hazard for a quick. I was always gutted Simon Jones has such a short career. He'd have been terrific if he hadn't spanged himself in the Ashes.

As for two spinners? Maybe when they didn't cover wickets it was a good idea but most teams struggle to get one decent spinner never mind two of the fuckers. A genuine all rounder that bowls good spinas well as being a good batsman would be ideal, but there arent any.

Fully agree - but the pain-in-the-arse decision of when to stay up and when to go to bed when you've got work in the morning is a nightmare.

I am however starting to get annoyed by the English arrogance. I like that I want them to win (for once) but they're pushing it. Botham in particular is doing my head in.

I don't go to bed. I do the night shift for the cricket, its only for a couple of months and two of the tests are over the christmas /new year period anyway.

Every ball! :P

I sat up watching it pish down in NZ for the first test there this winter. That is actually fucking ridiculous, but I did it.

I think Root is decent. He does actually spin the ball, and he seems to like bowling, unlike Pietersen.

Opening the batting and also being asked to bowl for hours on end as a spinner would turn him mentally ill.

Despite having Sky, I only ever listen to the radio during the Aus and NZ series.

Stay awake as long as I can, but usually drift in and out and get a few hours through the night.

Despite having Sky, I only ever listen to the radio during the Aus and NZ series.

Stay awake as long as I can, but usually drift in and out and get a few hours through the night.

Its usually ok as you always used to get Greigy Benaud and co for the Aussie commentary. And NZ was good as Coney was in the studio doing the night shift for it.

Anyway, what England dont have is a decent bat/bowl all rounder. That would solve a few problems for them.