The Cricket Thread

bewlay

A strange day, Australia bowled really, really well and England didn't really pass the examination.

The problem is that our top three are all really out of form, having had poor series on the whole (Root's one big innings apart). It's an odd England side that blows hot and cold, this summer. It's a relief that Australia have been too weak overall, to take real advantage. Tomorrow I think is the most important day of the series. If England can bowl in the same disciplined way as the Aussies then I still fancy them to skittle them in a low scoring game.

Cricket's such a momentum / form & confidence sport, and it is crucial that England dont toss away the advanatge from the first two tests, having retained the Ashes. If they do that for the remainder of the seris then it could not only be a long winter but have a really bad effect on this group of players in the next couple of years.

Time for England to stop being so complacent and lazy, and start playing again.

Can't help but think that with the Ashes already retained some of the English batsmen weren't really at it today. Aussie bowlers certainly made it hard for them to score but there were some very lazy shots that cost wickets.

Fascinating day and sets up a potentially thrilling game. Some awful shot selection from England, but credit to the Aussies for picking up the pieces. Liked what I saw from Nathan Lyon and it will be interesting to see what Swann does on the same pitch.

England's batting collapse will take the headlines but this kind of performance is hardly a surprise. The likes of Root and Bairstow have major question marks hanging over them, while Pietersen is always a loose cannon. When you throw in a poor series from Trott and Cook, it's astonishing England have already retained the Ashes.

Still anybody's game here when you can call on guys like Anderson and Swann, but not sure how often they can dig England out of trouble.

I was out all day so didn't see anything of the first day. Were England that bad?

Certainly seemed to be a bit of a general malaise about England's batting, the Aussies did bowl well but it took until 15 minutes before lunch for England to hit their first boundary. KP went chasing the first bowl he faced and was lucky it went into open space, Bell then chipped a simple shot to mid off just after lunch. Watson had a terrific spell this morning.

Jackson Bird has Scottish ancestry, I'm reliably informed by his second cousin.

Will listen to it tomorrow. I got the impression that England started off with the mindset that they were quite happy to bat for as long as possible even if they weren't scoring many runs.

I don't know enough to give you an intelligent response - but TMS Podcasts are 'good radio'., especially with Boycott.

I don't know enough to give you an intelligent response - but TMS Podcasts are 'good radio'., especially with Boycott

Boycott and Aggers summing up at the end of a days play is certainly 'good radio'.If Boycott sees it he is sure as hell going to say it!

Scathing is Geoffrey's middle name TK. ;)

The TMS podcasts are generally brilliant though.

Agreed on both counts. I like to have the TMS Podcast on the laptop when I shower and shave in the morning. Seeing as I hunted my weans to Motherwell yesterday morning it seemed OK to listen to it tonight,

How are you doing anyway?

Boycott and Aggers summing up at the end of a days play is certainly 'good radio'.If Boycott sees it he is sure as hell going to say it!

Agreed - and it's pretty refreshing and cant-free. I'd wager that the cricket boys are about the most honest on the wireless.

Agreed on both counts.  I like to have the TMS Podcast on the laptop when I shower and shave in the morning.  Seeing as I hunted my weans to Motherwell yesterday morning it seemed OK to listen to it tonight,

How are you doing anyway?

Nae bad thanks mate. The missus is at home(Poland) for a couple of weeks, whilst this bears well on the chance to watch the Cricket and other sports, I'm not a domestic goddess by any strech of the imagination so I'm almost living like a 1st year student at the moment. Without the shagging. :(

Going to visit a friend in Aussie Perth this winter that happily coincides with the WACA test, going to make it one of my main aims to attend.

Nae bad thanks mate. The missus is at home(Poland) for a couple of weeks, whilst this bears well on the chance to watch the Cricket and other sports, I'm not a domestic goddess by any strech of the imagination so I'm almost living like a 1st year student at the moment. Without the shagging. :(

Going to visit a friend in Aussie Perth this winter that happily coincides with the WACA test, going to make it one of my main aims to attend.

Oh I'm jealous, Is this your first trip to Oz? Hope you have a brilliant time.

So is your Mrs a good cook? When our 3 were wee (and we were still married) we had an au pair from Gdansk called Donja. She made brilliant soups and her apple pancake were to die for.

Oh I'm jealous, Is this your first trip to Oz? Hope you have a brilliant time.

So is your Mrs a good cook? When our 3 were wee (and we were still married) we had an au pair from Gdansk called Donja. She made brilliant soups and her apple pancake were to die for.

Stick to topic you two haha

Oh I'm jealous,  Is this your first trip to Oz?  Hope you have a brilliant time.  

So is your Mrs a good cook?  When our 3 were wee (and we were still married) we had an au pair from Gdansk called Donja.  She made brilliant soups and her apple pancake were to die for.

Aye will be, cheers mate. Gonna take in Sydney as well have some relatives yo sponge off there. Imagine I will visit the SCG, but not for a match unfortunately.

Wildly OT now but as you mention it her soups are to die for. :) and I know I'm biased but the hottie to munter ratio there is astounding.

Back OT, I think England need to get their arses in gear or they'll be taking a fair few problems for this series into the next. Thought