The Cricket Thread

bewlay

These two have really got the Aussies out of jail. Would love to see Rogers get his hundred, he deserves it. Very finely poised at the moment, let's hope the weather holds up and we can get a result.

Fair play to Australia. Deservedly in the box seat and proving there's little between the sides. For the sake of the series, it would be great to see them close this out and keep things alive (to a certain extent) going to the Oval.

Plenty to reflect on for England. As said above, they could easily be staring at a 3-1 reverse in this series. As a team, they really have failed to capture the spirit of previous Ashes' units under Vaughan and Strauss.

Today is the crucial day in terms of deciding which way the test is likely to go I reckon. Australia are one wicket away from a longer tail than normal and the new ball will do something on that wicket. Brilliant century from the old boy in really difficult batting conditions, the poor sod was neary breaking down in interviews afterwards. He did his job brilliantly well with good support from Watson.

Broad bowled beautifully with the new ball, and will need to do it again to get rid of the tail as cheaply as possible here. Any Aussie lead under a hundred or ideally around the fifty mark will suit England fine. That wicket will be REALLY horrible to bat on last, its going to turn and its going to be bouncing up and down too.

This isn't quite as in Australias favour as some might think either, it really does depend how they do this morning and how England bowl to them. These low scoring tests are often really good stuff towards the end.

I still think playing Bresnan is a mistake, he isn't good enough for test cricket.

I still think playing Bresnan is a mistake, he isn't good enough for test cricket.

I agree with what you say and on the final point Bresnan is not good enough to be third seamer. Unfortunately England seen to want his batting ability in the side due to the awfulness of Bairstow who just isn't test class. Ideally Taylor should be at six instead of Bairstow and big Tremlett in for Bresnan.

My argument is with Prior at seven and Broad at eight we don't need actually need Bresnan for his batting, and as a bowler he just doesn't have it. The England selectors have got themselves in a right muddle over the positions of number six and the third seamer role and weakening the attack for the extra twenty runs Bresnan might give you is ludicrous.

I agree with what you say and on the final point Bresnan is not good enough to be third seamer. Unfortunately England seen to want his batting ability in the side due to the awfulness of Bairstow who just isn't test class. Ideally Taylor should be at six instead of Bairstow and big Tremlett in for Bresnan.

My argument is with Prior at seven and Broad at eight we don't need actually need Bresnan for his batting, and as a bowler he just doesn't have it. The England selectors have got themselves in a right muddle over the positions of number six and the third seamer role and weakening the attack for the extra twenty runs Bresnan might give you is ludicrous.

The third seamer needs to be a wicket taker as well. Bresnan just isn't.

I think they may risk Tremlett for the oval test depending on wht happens here right enough, but most folk reckon Onions should have been starting this one, and I agree Bairstow needs to be out of the side and being made to work on his technique a bit more. I think in due course he COULD be a test player, but not yet. We have seen plenty of better players than him being twatted out the side fairly swiftly when they failed.

BUT, the English batting hasn't been dominating bowling attacks for a while now. We keep hearing about the depth of bowling out there, but none of them ever play.

Another thing in Australias favour a bit is that Clark is a far far better captain than Cook is at the moment. Thats worth a lot to a test side.

Should be a good days play.