The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Sadly the Windies seem much more interested in T20 and ODIs, these days. I believe England are not playing a test match on their next tour to the Caribbean, just ODIs :(

They still have a few good young uns coming through but understandably they are concentrating on the forms of the game that a) are more profitable- the WICB can't make tests pay, for reasons i can't understand and b) they are more successful in.

For all the entertainment the game finished has given us, the likes of Boycott have been predicting that test cricket may well be restricted to 3 or 4 countries that can make it pay in 20-30 years time; I assume England, Australia, India and South Africa. His argument seems to be that the New Zealands and Zimbabwes (poor sides usually) and the likes of W. Indies / Pakistan (some magnificent sides and players but perennially shambolic organisation) will fall away from the test arena.

YES. From the start of play until the back of 4 today nobody could call this.. Brilliant sport.

I thought ENngland were toiling with the new ball, the Aussie openers clearly decided to come at England and try to pressurise the bolwers, which they did very well indeed. Warner was excellent in the opening salvo. Once the ball began to reverse Australia were fucked though.

I should really be apologising profusely to Mr Bresnan too. When the ball starts to swing he is decent and for once, his batting came good when it mattered.

Depending on how Jimmy is feeling (and he looks like he needs a break) I dont see England changing the line up for the oval test.

Definitely not, especially if the Oval is a dustbowl again and reverse swing will come into play.

Pleased to see Bresnan make a contribution, he seems like an honest hardworking sportsman who wrings ever ounce of his ability out.

Sadly the Windies seem much more interested in T20 and ODIs, these days. I believe England are not playing a test match on their next tour to the Caribbean, just ODIs :(

They still have a few good young uns coming through but understandably they are concentrating on the forms of the game that a) are more profitable- the WICB can't make tests pay, for reasons i can't understand and b) they are more successful in.

For all the entertainment the game finished has given us, the likes of Boycott have been predicting that test cricket may well be restricted to 3 or 4 countries that can make it pay in 20-30 years time; I assume England, Australia, India and South Africa. His argument seems to be that the New Zealands and Zimbabwes (poor sides usually) and the likes of W. Indies / Pakistan (some magnificent sides and players but perennially shambolic organisation) will fall away from the test arena.

Boycott is possibly correct. Unless the folk running the sport actually protect test cricket, its lilely to die simply because the money isnt there for the smaller cricket playing nations. Their best players will look to earn their living from 20-20 cricket. I expect Pietersen to ditch test cricket and go and collect his fortune in India too. You cant really blame players for doing this, test cricket is definitely a throwback to the colonial times and for players to be away from home for such a long time and not really be rewarded financially for it is a big ask. The attraction of 20-20 is blindingly obvious.

Youd hope there would be some way of preserving test cricket as it is really the spirit and essence of the sport, but it will be down to money. India is a place where serious fortunes can be made for the players now, it cant be stopped and it shouldnt be, but test cricket should not be allowed to wither and die for it.

Definitely not, especially if the Oval is a dustbowl again and reverse swing will come into play.

Pleased to see Bresnan make a contribution, he seems like an honest hardworking sportsman who wrings ever ounce of his ability out.

He actually did a job in this test by bowling fairly dry, and when it began to swing he was a handful himself. The pitches havent really helped guys like him in this series but he did his bit today.

The travelling England fans normally sell out the grounds on their tours so that along with tv rights should be worth a few bob,i'm not sure if other fans travel in numbers the way the barmy army do though.

Well, I hope Boycott is being a pessimist and a way can be found to preserve test cricket for all the first class nations. I'd like to see new countries like Ireland and Afghanistan playing tests in the next few years- it looks as though both have sides that could develop. Scotland have done OK in the last fifteen years or so but they are a good way behind Ireland (in the 80s we were better than them), and I am not sure if there really is an ambition to step up to test level anytime soon. I think the Scots are trying their best in ODIs and seeing where that takes the side.

Just a last thing on the West Indies- for any young 'uns who weren't around at that time, have a look at this fascinating documentary on the history of West Indies cricket- it was about so, so much more for them than just the cricket match. This is the first part, there are six of them.

What does this mean for The Oval test now? Is it simply perfunctory? Or can one side use it to set a challenge to the other?

Both sides will be going all out for the win. Although it is a 'dead rubber'.

Not sure the last time the Aussies didn't win at least one Test, I certainly can't remember it.

As for setting challenges, that's a strict no-no after Hanse Cronjie.

They lost their last series four-nil (out of four tests) in India.

Love test cricket. But in marketing terms it's a dinosaur in the 21st century.

Last weekend, T20 drew something like 100,000 fans across the country on a Friday night. It's not rocket science to see why sponsors and TV companies are creaming themselves over the format.

But for me, nothing will ever beat five days of test action.

Looking ahead to the final test match at the Oval, with there being over a week to go I don't think England will make any changes to their side. If the conditions are suitable, however, I would like to see Tremlett return at the expense of Anderson. The latter has looked a bit jaded since Trent Bridge and the rest would do him some good.

Regarding the images above from the great West Indies side in the mid-80s, they were the greatest team I have seen play the game. Not only was I a huge fan of the graceful Michael Holding in particular but the destructive batting of Greenidge, Haynes and Richards was so difficult to counteract. They had so many other good cricketers at that time that often get overlooked: Gomes, Lloyd and Harper.

England have never lost when Bell has scored a ton.

Broad deserves it completely, Bell will be man of the series by a country mile though.

Easily. He came into this series really toiling for decent test form as well. Seems to have refound it!

His century in this test was a really good one, he gave very few chances and he batted so fluently .

As fro Australia, what have they found out in this series? I reckon they have been competitive, which I expected them to be anyway as its a bit like derby matches when teams can raise their games. They have probably found their openers for the series coming up. Watson is a walking LBW hazard but is a decent cricketer. Harris can be a top class test bolwer if he can stay healthy. Clarke is class but is being asked to shoulder a lot, although I think he is a very good captain. The bowling line up has been generally quite effective in this series so there is something to take into the next series for them providing they all stay fit. The batting line up looks better with he boxer opening, he is a class player actually and with a few tweaks here and there they might be competitive again. Confidence wise they must be finding things tough going no matter what they say in public. Two really heavy series losses in a row, although they have certainly competed in this one. But that collapse yesterday will prey on their minds and undid a lot of the good stuff from the previuous test match.

One thing about England over the last few years is that they haven't lost or been on the wrong side of a draw in many tight matches, when they lose they get absolutely pumped but the ones that could go either way they win. Particularly in the Ashes since 2005, there were the 2 games at Edgbaston and TB vs the one at Old Trafford, in 2009 there was Monty batting out the last few overs at Cardiff, and the first test and arguably yesterday in this series.

That particular West Indies era was probably just starting to be on the way down when I started watching cricket, but it still had Ambrose, Walsh, Lara as well as a past their best but still brilliant Richards, Haynes, Marshall, and Dujon.

The Australia teams of 1995-2007 were probably objectively better (better fielding, faster run rates, a world class spinner) but the WI team of the late 80s and early 90s will always be my favourite.

there is no chance of anderson not playing if he is fit - he will get rested for the odi and t20 series following the last test if anything.

had bresnan been iffy they *might* have brought in tremlett or finn but he came up with the big wicket when it mattered and his runs with the tail were the icing on the cake.

same 11 for eng at the oval. aus will depend on what they want from the game with an eye on the home series. the first test is late november and i guess they will already have a thought on who bats 3 and 5.

there is an arguement to bring back hughes at 3 and kuwaka at 5 jusg to look at how it pans out. kuwaja has talent but 1st wicket down in english conditions is not easy and i think he is a better batsman than smith overall.

the bowling line up could be anything depending on fitness and conditions apart from agar will defo not play.

Easily. He came into this series really toiling for decent test form as well. Seems to have refound it!

His century in this test was a really good one, he gave very few chances and he batted so fluently .

As fro Australia, what have they found out in this series? I reckon they have been competitive, which I expected them to be anyway as its a bit like derby matches when teams can raise their games. They have probably found their openers for the series coming up. Watson is a walking LBW hazard but is a decent cricketer. Harris can be a top class test bolwer if he can stay healthy. Clarke is class but is being asked to shoulder a lot, although I think he is a very good captain. The bowling line up has been generally quite effective in this series so there is something to take into the next series for them providing they all stay fit. The batting line up looks better with he boxer opening, he is a class player actually and with a few tweaks here and there they might be competitive again. Confidence wise they must be finding things tough going no matter what they say in public. Two really heavy series losses in a row, although they have certainly competed in this one. But that collapse yesterday will prey on their minds and undid a lot of the good stuff from the previuous test match.

I agree with most of that but I think Watson is one of the worst no. 6's ever. As you say he is an LBW disaster zone and England appear to have worked him out. His bowling is poor and he is as slow as a week in the jail in the field. Plus I would not be surprised if the rumours of him being a bad influence in the dressing room were true.

I agree with most of that but I think Watson is one of the worst no. 6's ever. As you say he is an LBW disaster zone and England appear to have worked him out. His bowling is poor and he is as slow as a week in the jail in the field. Plus I would not be surprised if the rumours of him being a bad influence in the dressing room were true.

Watson would walk into the England side at number six.

Can I just say how much I'm enjoying your posts in this thread Reynard. Genuinely. For some reason I felt the need to say that.

I agree with most of that but I think Watson is one of the worst no. 6's ever. As you say he is an LBW disaster zone and England appear to have worked him out. His bowling is poor and he is as slow as a week in the jail in the field. Plus I would not be surprised if the rumours of him being a bad influence in the dressing room were true.  

You can accuse Watto of many thing, but certainly not poor bowling.

One thing about England over the last few years is that they haven't lost or been on the wrong side of a draw in many tight matches, when they lose they get absolutely pumped but the ones that could go either way they win. Particularly in the Ashes since 2005, there were the 2 games at Edgbaston and TB vs the one at Old Trafford, in 2009 there was Monty batting out the last few overs at Cardiff, and the first test and arguably yesterday in this series.

That particular West Indies era was probably just starting to be on the way down when I started watching cricket, but it still had Ambrose, Walsh, Lara as well as a past their best but still brilliant Richards, Haynes, Marshall, and Dujon.

The Australia teams of 1995-2007 were probably objectively better (better fielding, faster run rates, a world class spinner) but the WI team of the late 80s and early 90s will always be my favourite. 

Look at the recent Home & Away series against NZ too, everytime England were struggling they managed to eek out a draw, then pretty much 1st chance they got(again after a Broad special) they sniffed a win and saw it home.

I don't think they are quite up there with the saffers, but their scrapping and killer instinct is first class.